The Student Room Group

How do people rank Foundation Schools?

I'm an international student that came to England just for uni. So I've not got friends from other medical schools to ask about the hospitals they've been to. I know some people choose somewhere nearer to their family but that doesn't apply since I've got no family in UK either.

Any other things I could consider when ranking? Otherwise it feels very much like a random choice.
I am 99% sure that all medicine degrees are the same - most people choose on the basis of like if schools look for high or low ucat and stuff like how much the schools look at gcses and there is also stuff like where you want to be in the country
Original post by guccislipper
I am 99% sure that all medicine degrees are the same - most people choose on the basis of like if schools look for high or low ucat and stuff like how much the schools look at gcses and there is also stuff like where you want to be in the country

I think OP means, they have or will soon complete their medical degree and are looking for advice on how to rank where they will study their foundation training as a junior doctor? Rather than applying to the degree in the first place.

Original post by singzeon
I'm an international student that came to England just for uni. So I've not got friends from other medical schools to ask about the hospitals they've been to. I know some people choose somewhere nearer to their family but that doesn't apply since I've got no family in UK either.

Any other things I could consider when ranking? Otherwise it feels very much like a random choice.

Generally I would think stuff like cost of living in the area, where the placements are (will you potentially need to travel quite far between each placement in FY1/FY2 - I think I read some of the London deaneries move you around a lot for example), and perhaps what placements they offer if you are interested in some particular specialty and are hoping for exposure to it (although I get the impression there's no real way to guarantee this?) would be worth thinking about?

or @GANFYD might have some suggestions on things to consider?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by artful_lounger
Generally I would think stuff like cost of living in the area, where the placements are (will you potentially need to travel quite far between each placement in FY1/FY2 - I think I read some of the London deaneries move you around a lot for example), and perhaps what placements they offer if you are interested in some particular specialty and are hoping for exposure to it (although I get the impression there's no real way to guarantee this?) would be worth thinking about?

Thank you for your suggestions! I will look into those.

I did think of looking into specific programmes based on my interest in specialties, however I wasn't sure if that was useful to do at this stage. This is because we're meant to choose Foundation Schools for now, and from what I see each FS itself contains multiple trusts with all sorts of combinations. Hence I thought of doing that once I am allocated to a FS, only then will I focus on specific programmes offered by that FS.
Reply 4
Certainly that might be a possibility. My rationale for bringing that up was to basically show that this criteria (moving nearer / further away) would not be applicable for me. :smile:

Yes I was looking at city vs rural, as I don't think I would cope well in rural environments. However, doesn't every FS include a mix of hospitals in city and rural areas, except that of London?

Thanks for this sugggestion. Is there some sort of list online of hospitals good in particular specialties? E.g. eye - Moorfields, as you suggested.
(edited 2 years ago)
Foundation can be quite stressful, as an international person but UK graduate, the system is at least something you know, rather than an IMG where it can be v different.
All foundation schools have their different charms, and all will provide the training you need.
I guess I would be thinking:
1. Do I need a multicultural community to be happy: hospitals are very multicultural and on the whole very supportive, but unfortunately some of the very rural areas communities can be less so. So if this is an importance, then consider foundation schools with a number of cities of a reasonable size for you to feel ‘at home’ or a close proximity to London.
2. Do you have an out of medicine passion that you would like to continue with that suits a geography. Sailing/mountain climbing for example.
3. Can you drive… [prob lines up with city vs rural too]
4. Do you want to spend 2 years in the same hospital - gives you a chance to get to know a community and belong. Some deaneries have more 1 +1 and some have 2 years in one place.
5. Have you a partner/children - as that might mean you want to think a bit more about long term settling .
6. Flights home. If you want to do this a lot, is there good airport links.

Since you have done med school here, are you happy to rank that area first? You dont say much about friendships you have made, as having people you know can be great… or not.
Or are you wanting to try out something new.
Have a look at the deanery websites - most have a bit about living and working in the region.

I would apply for foundation priority programmes that catch your interest as well as foundation schools.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending