*MEGATHREAD* Medicine 2022 entry interviews discussion

Watch
yara56394484
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Does anyone know if you get the interview questions prior to your interview? Are there certain Med schools that do this?
GANFYD
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by yara56394484)
Does anyone know if you get the interview questions prior to your interview? Are there certain Med schools that do this?
Sheffield has for the last couple of years
Last edited by GANFYD; 1 week ago
becausethenight
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by yara56394484)
Just Sheffield officially, AFAIK, but many med schools functionally almost do (for example by posting lists of ‘qualities we are looking for’ that end up aligning with their MMI stations)
medicalmentality
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by becausethenight)
Just Sheffield officially, AFAIK, but many med schools functionally almost do (for example by posting lists of ‘qualities we are looking for’ that end up aligning with their MMI stations)
Last year Sunderland also told interviewees the interview questions in advance
Rara345
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Other then euthanasia and abortion are there ethical topics it would be good to familiarise ourselves with? Ofc ik ethical topics can just be difficult situations, but in terms of current UK laws?
Ty.
Sorry if it says in the generic interview tips posted on the first post it won’t let me open it, says it could be corrupted bc it’s unknown. (I’m going to try again on a computer later)
becausethenight
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by medicalmentality)
Last year Sunderland also told interviewees the interview questions in advance
Cheers
becausethenight
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Rara345)
Other then euthanasia and abortion are there ethical topics it would be good to familiarise ourselves with? Ofc ik ethical topics can just be difficult situations, but in terms of current UK laws?
Ty.
Sorry if it says in the generic interview tips posted on the first post it won’t let me open it, says it could be corrupted bc it’s unknown. (I’m going to try again on a computer later)
What do you think might come up? Has anything been in the news lately?
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Rara345)
Ty.
Loads and loads of topics! If you ask me, I wouldn't even put euthanasia and abortion at the top of the list!

What do you think yourself? What's really really topical in the news recently about health?
Underscored
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right thread, but I was wondering if there was a thread/information about interview to offer ratios for all med schools in one place?

I've found a couple of different ones on various websites but these seem to contain slightly different data and I'm not sure how up to date they are?

If anyone has any resources/recommendations they really trust, I'd love to hear about them!

Thank you
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Underscored)
Hi all,

Not sure if this is the right thread, but I was wondering if there was a thread/information about interview to offer ratios for all med schools in one place?

I've found a couple of different ones on various websites but these seem to contain slightly different data and I'm not sure how up to date they are?

If anyone has any resources/recommendations they really trust, I'd love to hear about them!

Thank you
Not the right thread, but our legendery (ex) colleague @nexttime has previously sent FOI requests to all the med schools in the land and compiled this beauty: https://public.tableau.com/profile/a...nttoOfferRatio

Sadly it's from 2017-2019 so it's slightly outdated and will not reflect the post-COVID mad dash to medicine.
Underscored
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Not the right thread, but our legendery (ex) colleague @nexttime has previously sent FOI requests to all the med schools in the land and compiled this beauty: https://public.tableau.com/profile/a...nttoOfferRatio

Sadly it's from 2017-2019 so it's slightly outdated and will not reflect the post-COVID mad dash to medicine.
Ah my apologies but thanks so much for sending this across! Really appreciate it!
Rara345
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by becausethenight)
What do you think might come up? Has anything been in the news lately?
Loads and loads of topics! If you ask me, I wouldn't even put euthanasia and abortion at the top of the list!

What do you think yourself? What's really really topical in the news recently about health?
Covid ofc, would the ethics be about that be to do with ventilators, eg, who gets them if there arent enough.
And the vaccine is ethical as well ig…if they should be compulsory and what restrictions should remain for unvaccinated and also who should be (or should have been) vaccinated first.
How come you wouldn’t put euthanasia and abortion on the list? They were the two my school focused on for the medical ethics preparation
Thanks to your promoting I’ve given it more thought and considered confidentiality like when it can be broken so thank you.
Also I came across a question which really stumped me and was hoping you could help guide an answer/give some suggestions. I think the scenario is quite well known, it’s when a doctor/ med student posts a photo of them getting drunk etc at a party and goes to work the next day with patients who could have seen the photo. So should there be restrictions on what doctors should post online…would be very interesting to see what med students and a current doctor thinks!!!
Tysm for you help!
Let’s hope I get the interviews to use this preparation lol
studyingpeach
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by medicalmentality)
in a roleplay situation how would I explain what time a patient has to take their medicine if the patient doesnt speak english? all i can think of is speaking slowly, using hand movements and body language, any other ideas?
you could draw out clocks on a piece of paper?
taxonomy.
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
anyone know any good online interview resources
becausethenight
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by taxonomy.)
This thread?
There’s lot of random question banks just through google too.
BSbsbs
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by taxonomy.)
Absolute wealth of resources on YouTube, as well as online through all major service providers (e.g Medic Portal).

I would try to structure you preparation like this

1. How are my soft skills? (communication, body language, mannerisms ect)

2. How is my knowledge? (know the career, the medical school, the NHS and most importantly yourself)

3. What is my mission? (i.e if MMI - focus on practice questions, if panel, tailor towards this)

Once you know what to say, learn how to say it. Even medical interviewers are emotion driven, subjective beasts despite the use of mark schemes and as such you need to leverage the power of the first and last impression you make.
studyingpeach
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
when doing an ethical question, do we have to mention every pillar of ethics?
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by studyingpeach)
when doing an ethical question, do we have to mention every pillar of ethics?
I would. It's just like the driving test - deliberately signposting "I am looking at the mirror now".

If you know the four pillars, why not mention it?

P.S. As an interviewer, if I come across a candidate who only mentioned one or two of the pillars I would literally ask them "What are the four pillars".
studyingpeach
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I would. It's just like the driving test - deliberately signposting "I am looking at the mirror now".

If you know the four pillars, why not mention it?

P.S. As an interviewer, if I come across a candidate who only mentioned one or two of the pillars I would literally ask them "What are the four pillars".
ah ok thanks so for this question I'm doing would the following answer be alright?

'A local butcher with four children comes to see you, his GP, after having diarrhoea for one week. A stool sample has grown campylobacter, which is a notifiable disease. He wants to go back to work immediately because he needs the money'.

autonomy: we want to promote the dignity and independence of the patient, respect their confidentiality and allow them to make their own choices
justice: it's a notifiable disease so we need to report to the HPA to to protect public health
non-maleficence: if we don't, the illness could harm his family and the town (esp since he's a butcher so it could spread through the meat)
beneficence: to do good, we need to keep the patient fully informed: how this condition affects the patient, the public, risks, side-effects and why the condition needs to be reported
in conclusion: need to break confidentiality and let the HPA know as justice outweighs autonomy

I think my main issue is that I usually feel like there are 2/3 main pillars in a scenario and I don't really know what to say for the last one without repeating myself (beneficence in this example) so any advice regarding structuring answers would be appreciated...
Last edited by studyingpeach; 6 days ago
amirhabib13
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I am a gap year student hoping to get into medical school this year - bombed the interviews last year so don't want to leave things to chance.

Would love any ideas on resources available out there - cost and effectiveness if any of have used services online.. Medify and BMAT Ninja seem expensive and BeMo is US based. Anyone got experience with any of these of know of any other sites ? I don't want to waste my money - ...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (53)
14.25%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (94)
25.27%
I'm a bit unsure (66)
17.74%
I'm finding things difficult (127)
34.14%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (32)
8.6%

Watched Threads