*MEGATHREAD* Medicine 2022 entry interviews discussion

Watch
SyedN
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by amirhabib13)
I am a gap year student hoping to get into medical school this year - bombed the interviews last year so don't want to leave things to chance.

Would love any ideas on resources available out there - cost and effectiveness if any of have used services online.. Medify and BMAT Ninja seem expensive and BeMo is US based. Anyone got experience with any of these of know of any other sites ? I don't want to waste my money - ...
For my interview prep I just used free resources such as the Medic Mind question banks and loads of YouTube videos, the only thing I bought was the interview book from Amazon called Medical School Interviews (2nd Edition) by Oliver Picard which was very useful in my opinion,
amirhabib13
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by SyedN)
For my interview prep I just used free resources such as the Medic Mind question banks and loads of YouTube videos, the only thing I bought was the interview book from Amazon called Medical School Interviews (2nd Edition) by Oliver Picard which was very useful in my opinion,
I tried that last year and stilled didn't do so well - I'm not a natural extrovert ! I'll pick up the book from Amazon maybe that will help....
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I tried that last year and stilled didn't do so well - I'm not a natural extrovert ! I'll pick up the book from Amazon maybe that will help....
You'll need to find someone to practise with you, preferably someone you don't know very well.

As much as the content of your answers are important, it's how you come across as well.
Marvinuk
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by ecolier)
My med school (which shall remain nameless!) has asked us to prepare for completely in-person interviews this cycle.

Thank the Lord!!

Unless it harms your studies otherwise, I would start doing a bit of prep every day.
Hi ecolier if the interviews are in person would you recommend a suit?
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Marvinuk)
Hi ecolier if the interviews are in person would you recommend a suit?
If you won't feel too hot, then you can. But a shirt (+/- tie) would do.

I personally just wear shirt and trousers when I am doing the interview.
studyingpeach
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
when doing an ethics question, do you always have to present a balanced answer? eg if there's a confidentiality breach, i don't see why you should side with not doing anything?
studyingpeach
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I am a gap year student hoping to get into medical school this year - bombed the interviews last year so don't want to leave things to chance.

Would love any ideas on resources available out there - cost and effectiveness if any of have used services online.. Medify and BMAT Ninja seem expensive and BeMo is US based. Anyone got experience with any of these of know of any other sites ? I don't want to waste my money - ...
the medic portal has a lot of free stuff, ask questions on this interview thread and (as ecolier said) work with someone if you can?
i'm a gap year student too, i messed up my ucat last time!
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by studyingpeach)
when doing an ethics question, do you always have to present a balanced answer? eg if there's a confidentiality breach, i don't see why you should side with not doing anything?
Depends on what the question says - some ethics Qs you could e.g. abortion, euthanasia; others you shouldn't.

Usually the questions are worded in such a way that it would allow candidates to show what they know, and shouldn't just be a one word, Yes or No answer.
Marvinuk
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
If you won't feel too hot, then you can. But a shirt (+/- tie) would do.

I personally just wear shirt and trousers when I am doing the interview.
Thank you, it is for my son, he managed to get 4 interviews last year but unfortunately no offers. He is hoping that he has some in person interviews this year and he is starting his prep now. He works in a local hotel so normally wears a shirt / tie / waistcoat so feels comfortable enough in a tie. He has the amazon book mentioned and is going to practice in front of a mirror and with family but we will try to find someone who he does not know so well.
He also volunteers at a local hospice so i am hoping someone there may be able to assist. Do you have any other tips please?
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Marvinuk)
...Do you have any other tips please?
Answer the question that's asked, rather than something that they know.

And be confident - comes with practice so it's good that he's starting prep now.

You can never overprepare for interviews, unlike the UCAT.
Marvinuk
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago

And be confident - comes with practice so it's good that he's starting prep now.

Thank you, really appreciate your help.
TCL
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
A_J_B I think it would be good to add a list in the first post of which medical schools are planning on line and which F2F. It looks like almost all are on line. Newcastle were planning F2F, but have now said on line. So to start the list,

On line
Birmingham.
Cambridge.
Manchester.
Oxford.
Plymouth
Sheffield

Hybrid
Imperial

Still planning F2F
Nottingham/Lincoln
Keele

Interview type should affect the way you prepare.
KA_P
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by TCL)
A_J_B I think it would be good to add a list in the first post of which medical schools are planning on line and which F2F. It looks like almost all are on line. Newcastle were planning F2F, but have now said on line. So to start the list,

On line
Birmingham.
Cambridge.
Manchester.
Oxford.
Plymouth
Sheffield

Hybrid
Imperial

Still planning F2F
Nottingham/Lincoln
Keele

Aston will also be virtual as well )
Snowbearchoo
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Anyone know what happens to international applicants?
KA_P
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Snowbearchoo)
Anyone know what happens to international applicants?
In terms of interviews and whether they will be virtual or in-person for you?
thatguysjokes123
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago

Hi, If someone doesn't know an answer to a question, should they say they don't know or change the subject to something they know
Last edited by thatguysjokes123; 5 days ago
unknownviewer
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by TCL)

On line
Birmingham.
Cambridge.
Manchester.
Oxford.
Plymouth
Sheffield

Hybrid
Imperial

Still planning F2F
Nottingham/Lincoln
Keele

Southampton will be virtual
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by thatguysjokes123)
Hi, If someone doesn't know an answer to a question, should they say they don't know or change the subject to something they know
Don't change the subject, that's what I meant in your quoted post.

The thing is, we don't usually set questions that are so specific that you either know or not (e.g. what's the capital of Guinea-Bissau has a "black and white" answer; but what do you think of Guinea-Bissau's health system does not).

There is usually a clue about the question... e.g. Guinea-Bissau runs a purely private healthcare system (they may not! This is a hypothetical question), what do you think about that? Not everyone may know the ins and outs about G-B's healthcare system, but you can still argue the pros and cons about a private vs public healthcare system; but what you mustn't do - is to talk about another topic.

Hope that made sense.
Last edited by ecolier; 5 days ago
thatguysjokes123
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Don't change the subject, that's what I meant in your quoted post.

The thing is, we don't usually set questions that are so specific that you either know or not (e.g. what's the capital of Guinea-Bissau has a "black and white" answer; but what do you think of Guinea-Bissau's health system does not).

There is usually a clue about the question... e.g. Guinea-Bissau runs a purely private healthcare system (they may not! This is a hypothetical question), what do you think about that? Not everyone may know the ins and outs about G-B's healthcare system, but you can still argue the pros and cons about a private vs public healthcare system; but what you mustn't do - is to talk about another topic.

Hope that made sense.
That's very useful advice, I'm gonna practice keeping my answers straight to the point in the question always. Thanks a lot.
yara56394484
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Does anyone recommend blackstone tutors interview questions bank?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (53)
14.25%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (94)
25.27%
I'm a bit unsure (66)
17.74%
I'm finding things difficult (127)
34.14%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (32)
8.6%

Watched Threads