*MEGATHREAD* Medicine 2022 entry interviews discussion

Watch
asclepeion
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by yara56394484)
Does anyone recommend blackstone tutors interview questions bank?
Did their MMI course 2 years ago which included all their interview question banks/example answers and personally paid too much money for simple regurgitation of existing and most importantly, free medicine interview resources
candidate415
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
If someone is under the influence of alcohol, needs medical intervention, and lacks capacity, do you act in their best interest as the doctor and give them the treatment? Even for a minor surgery?
micholate9
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Is it okay to give examples from your own experience as a patient? Eg for the question "Give an example of a time a doctor showed lack of empathy." Would it be better to give an example from work ex/ volunteering instead?
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by candidate415)
If someone is under the influence of alcohol, needs medical intervention, and lacks capacity, do you act in their best interest as the doctor and give them the treatment? Even for a minor surgery?
Yes, and even major surgery!
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by micholate9)
Is it okay to give examples from your own experience as a patient? Eg for the question "Give an example of a time a doctor showed lack of empathy." Would it be better to give an example from work ex/ volunteering instead?
As I said earlier, the questions wouldn't be so specific so only a bunch of people can answer so hopefully it will be" give an example of a time when you observed a lack of empathy".

But if you are asked specifically about a doctor, DON'T CHANGE THE QUESTION yourself
candidate415
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Yes, and even major surgery!
Thanks ecolier, i want to rep you but the system wont allow for it. I hope we can start doing one topic/question every few days on here soon !!!
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Thanks ecolier, i want to rep you but the system wont allow for it. I hope we can start doing one topic/question every few days on here soon !!!
No problem, and that depends on my workload!
_Mia101
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by TCL)
A_J_B I think it would be good to add a list in the first post of which medical schools are planning on line and which F2F. It looks like almost all are on line. Newcastle were planning F2F, but have now said on line. So to start the list,

On line
Birmingham.
Cambridge.
Manchester.
Oxford.
Plymouth
Sheffield

Hybrid
Imperial

Still planning F2F
Nottingham/Lincoln
Keele

Interview type should affect the way you prepare.
How would you prepare differently for an online interview versus a face-to-face one?
micholate9
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by ecolier)
As I said earlier, the questions wouldn't be so specific so only a bunch of people can answer so hopefully it will be" give an example of a time when you observed a lack of empathy".

But if you are asked specifically about a doctor, DON'T CHANGE THE QUESTION yourself
okay thanks. My question was more around whether it's okay to use examples from when you or a family member was a patient vs examples from work ex/ volunteering.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by micholate9)
okay thanks. My question was more around whether it's okay to use examples from when you or a family member was a patient vs examples from work ex/ volunteering.
Yes, as long as it's about a doctor.

But I would be very careful "badmouthing" someone, so a lot of tact will be required!
SyedN
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by _Mia101)
How would you prepare differently for an online interview versus a face-to-face one?
Honestly I wouldn't say you have to do anything different, the prep should still be the same as they're still looking for the same qualities.

The only thing I would say is (even though it is hard) is to look directly at the webcam rather than the interviewer's face as that way you're making eye contact and just ensure your lighting is alright, if the interviewer can hardly see your face because there is too much or too little light it will make it harder to see your body language and gestures.
TCL
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Good question! I guess they are more panel style. You can practice with friends on Zoom instead of F2F. Communication is different on screen - are you looking at the camera or the screen, you need to know whether you manage to look engaged the whole time. Probably less role play and chats with patients. People who have experienced it can tell us the difference.
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Consider this: what is the rationale for performing a minor operation on a patient who is under the influence of alcohol to the extent that they are unable to give capacity? Why can't it wait until they're sober?

Is it actually good enough grounds for acting in someone else's best interests?

I am, of course, working on the assumption that we have the same definition of what constitutes minor surgery
KA_P
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by thatguysjokes123)
Hi, If someone doesn't know an answer to a question, should they say they don't know or change the subject to something they know
No definitely not.
I'd approach it by vocalising my thoughts. Let them know that you think this is a difficult question. Tell them how you'd start off approaching it. Tell them what you do know about the topic and how you would use that knowledge to try and form the answer to the question.
Giving it an attempt is always worth the shot.
Hope that makes sense.
_Mia101
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by SyedN)
Honestly I wouldn't say you have to do anything different, the prep should still be the same as they're still looking for the same qualities.

The only thing I would say is (even though it is hard) is to look directly at the webcam rather than the interviewer's face as that way you're making eye contact and just ensure your lighting is alright, if the interviewer can hardly see your face because there is too much or too little light it will make it harder to see your body language and gestures.
Thank you - I'll definitely do as many mock interviews virtually as I can as well!

(Original post by TCL)
Good question! I guess they are more panel style. You can practice with friends on Zoom instead of F2F. Communication is different on screen - are you looking at the camera or the screen, you need to know whether you manage to look engaged the whole time. Probably less role play and chats with patients. People who have experienced it can tell us the difference.
Yea, that's true!

Would you say hand gestures are a bad thing to do virtually? I am just wondering how I can show I am engaged in the conversation virtually?
future_11
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
hey should i start prepping for interviews now?
KA_P
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by future_11)
hey should i start prepping for interviews now?
Yeah you can't over-prepare for interviews.
TCL
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Thank you - I'll definitely do as many mock interviews virtually as I can as well!

Yea, that's true!

Would you say hand gestures are a bad thing to do virtually? I am just wondering how I can show I am engaged in the conversation virtually?
One of the advantages of on line practice is that your interview partner can do a screen recording and you can see how you looked, how clearly you spoke, whether you moved your hands too much. I am not an interviewer, ecolier or GANFYD can give more relevant feed back, but I would have thought over enthusiasm is better than seeming unengaged.
Jpree34
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by TCL)
A_J_B I think it would be good to add a list in the first post of which medical schools are planning on line and which F2F. It looks like almost all are on line. Newcastle were planning F2F, but have now said on line. So to start the list,

On line
Birmingham.
Cambridge.
Manchester.
Oxford.
Plymouth
Sheffield

Hybrid
Imperial

Still planning F2F
Nottingham/Lincoln
Keele

Interview type should affect the way you prepare.
What is hybrid ?
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Jpree34)
What is hybrid ?
Combination of something. e.g. a hybrid car is petrol / electric.

So a hybrid interview model would involve some in-person interviews and some remote.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (53)
14.25%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (94)
25.27%
I'm a bit unsure (66)
17.74%
I'm finding things difficult (127)
34.14%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (32)
8.6%

Watched Threads