The Student Room Group

Law degree vs. non-law degree??

I think I want to be a solicitor when I am older but I have only recently discovered this so I am applying to do english lit at uni and don't have time to change my application to law. So would I be at a disadvantage applying to jobs having not done a law degree, especially with top law firms in London which is where I would want to work. I do want to go to a very respectable uni to do english hopefully oxford, but not sure sure whether I should reapply next year but to do law instead?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
If Law if what you want to do then decline your place and apply again next year for Law.
What year are you applying for? If it’s to start September 2022 how can it be too late now?

(As I assume if September 2021 you’d know where you were going)
You don’t need a law degree to do law, you do need a good result though (at a good university ideally).
And network lots at university, joining law societies etc.
Original post by Catherine1973
What year are you applying for? If it’s to start September 2022 how can it be too late now?

(As I assume if September 2021 you’d know where you were going)
You don’t need a law degree to do law, you do need a good result though (at a good university ideally).
And network lots at university, joining law societies etc.

It's to start sept 2022 - but I would like to go to oxford or cambridge and my school's deadline for that is 20th sept for some reason i don't know.
Reply 4
may i ask you why you're suddenly interested in working as a solicitor? like what interests you about it and what do you know about working in law?

have you studied academic law before? do you think you could excel in that degree to the extent you would studying English?

have you researched firms you'd be interested in applying to(?) as you can usually see where the solicitors have graduated from and what they studied on their bio page; bearing in mind tho employers take into account your CV as a whole and not just the name of your degree and there's too many factors involved that could qualify you as a success applicant or not one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending