The Student Room Group

Geography at Oxford

Hi guys,

I intend on applying to Oxford for Geography next year and I know they put a lot of emphasis on extracurriculars. Is anyone aware of any geography opportunities out there that would be great to include in my Oxford personal statement? This can include anything and I would appreciate any recommendations.

Thank you!
Original post by alg.xx
Hi guys,

I intend on applying to Oxford for Geography next year and I know they put a lot of emphasis on extracurriculars. Is anyone aware of any geography opportunities out there that would be great to include in my Oxford personal statement? This can include anything and I would appreciate any recommendations.

Thank you!

Anything to do with scouting/D of E could class if you do your awards as the map skills could be linked in. Also anything to do with helping out at the coast if your local so like, erosional work, beach conservation ect
(edited 2 years ago)
I live in London so I doubt I’ll be able to work near the coast. Any other suggestions :smile:?
Original post by Studentlife04
Anything to do with scouting/D of E could class if you do your awards as the map skills could be linked in. Also anything to do with helping out at the coast of your local so like, erosional work, beach conservation ect
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by alg.xx
I live in London so I doubt I’ll be able to work near the coast. Any other suggestions :smile:?

probably scouting or D of E if you can
Original post by Studentlife04
probably scouting or D of E if you can

Thank you
Original post by alg.xx
Thank you

oh yeah, there's also online moocs/courses that you can do online. It might also be worth seeing if there's any Sutton trust/university summer schools that you can do next year. You might also want to look at pre reading books. Good luck
Are you applying for geography 2022 or 2023 entry?
Maybe think about helping out at the geography department at school
(I'm applying for geography for 2022 entry to Oxford)
@azby1098 anything else?
Original post by Hannah15224
Are you applying for geography 2022 or 2023 entry?
Maybe think about helping out at the geography department at school
(I'm applying for geography for 2022 entry to Oxford)
@azby1098 anything else?

Hi. I'm thinking about applying for 2023. Do you mind if I ask you what you've done so far to prepare for your Oxford application?
Original post by alg.xx
Hi. I'm thinking about applying for 2023. Do you mind if I ask you what you've done so far to prepare for your Oxford application?

No that's fine, I've done Oxford's UNIQ summer school as well as Reading University's Reading Scholars programme, I've also read a few books related to climate change, the quaternary period and agriculture. I've helped out at school open days with the geography department and have attended a couple of virtual lectures by the Royal Geographical Society and Hertfordshire University which linked to geopolitics. I have also been to a couple of places I've done in case studies, Liverpool and Oxford and thought about various geographical theories such as redevelopment, which I'm hoping will help me for interviews, if I get one, as it's helped me think about this at home too! Watching the news is very helpful and keeping up with Covid news and climate change, Afghanistan, etc - for instance I've talked about in my personal statement how covids led to the changing of the identity of my town centre due to large flagship stores closing. You don't really need extracurricular activities for Oxford I believe but I've done bronze and silver dofe and am doing gold. If it helps, my a levels are history geography and sociology, what are yours?

I'm not doing an epq but I've also seen lots of documentaries like Greta thunberg and David Attenborough
(edited 2 years ago)
Oxford does not care about extracurriculars. Try including some supercurriculars.
Reply 10
Original post by alg.xx
Hi guys,

Thank you!

Any online courses or essay competitions you can do would help you a lot (sometimes there are essay competitions where you can literally write about anything academic that you want) and also an epq if your school does that. Reading and studying books you’re interested in and writing up reviews can also go a long way and give you a lot to talk about at interview. Don’t worry about participating in “official” activities that are organised externally like work experience, clubs/societies or trips down to the coast to do official case studies. Oxford tutors will more than understand that both Covid, the place you live and money can be prohibiting factors for these types of activities. They don’t want to know how lucky you are in your personal circumstances, they only need to be able to see your passion, which can be shown in so many other ways (e.g. books, essay competitions or even just essays you’ve written by yourself out of choice, online courses). That’s all I did and I got in for French!
What are supercurriculars ?

Quick Reply

Latest