The Student Room Group

Further maths a level for medicine

Hi,
Iv just started my A- levels and I have chosen Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Further Maths and I am really attached to these choices and feel they are the best option for me. However it has been brought to my attention that some medical schools don’t see maths and further maths as two separate A- Levels. I was wondering someone could tell me which universities don’t see them as separate in England? I have checked entry requirements and more often than not nothing is mentioned about this/ info is not consistent across websites. I am aiming to get into a Russel Group university so information about those would be particularly helpful.

Thanks!
Original post by hanahannah
Hi,
Iv just started my A- levels and I have chosen Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Further Maths and I am really attached to these choices and feel they are the best option for me. However it has been brought to my attention that some medical schools don’t see maths and further maths as two separate A- Levels. I was wondering someone could tell me which universities don’t see them as separate in England? I have checked entry requirements and more often than not nothing is mentioned about this/ info is not consistent across websites. I am aiming to get into a Russel Group university so information about those would be particularly helpful.

Thanks!

Is it relevant? Which medical schools require 4 A-levels?
Reply 2
In my school we have to take 4 A- levels and dropping one is looked down on. So if I’m doing a 4th A level I might as well make it count I think. I don’t want to be at a disadvantage to those who took physics as a 4th subject.
Let's ask someone who knows what they're talking about...

@GANFYD
Reply 4
Original post by hanahannah
Hi,

Thanks!

Most med schools do not consider both maths and further maths at A level, so would want 2 other A+ A levels, taken at the same time as one of them.
No med school requires 4 A levels, and only at Barts and Manchester (via their holistic route) would achieving 4 add anything to your application or score you more points. QUB and Lancaster do not score more pre-interview, but will lower grades by 1 for a 4th A/AS level to AAA+A or AAB+A respectively (and I think they are all OK with FM as a 4th).
There have also been occasions where people wiht 4 A levels on their UCAS form have been given a 4 A level offer, whereas others only get asked to get 3, so it can actively be a disadvantage and the time is likely better spent in entrance test prep, volunteering and interview prep.
It is better to do well in 3 A levels than jeopardise grades by doing 4. AAA is worth more than A*A*BB for medicine.
Plus Russell Group means absolutely nothing for medicine, but it makes no difference to them, either :smile:

Original post by ageshallnot
Let's ask someone who knows what they're talking about...

@ecolier @GANFYD

:ta:
Reply 5
Thanks so much for all ur help @ageshallnot and @GANFYD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending