The Student Room Group

Bad gcse

For my gcse I got Triple science 5-6Maths 5 English 6Citizenship 5 If I do well in my A-levels can I get a chance in medicine?I’m stressing I fell behind do to the lack of teaching and the teachers availability and during our mocks stupid kids kept putting on the fire alarm .can I have some advice please ?
Reply 1
Original post by 123ereeerrgh
For my gcse I got Triple science 5-6Maths 5 English 6Citizenship 5 If I do well in my A-levels can I get a chance in medicine?I’m stressing I fell behind do to the lack of teaching and the teachers availability and during our mocks stupid kids kept putting on the fire alarm .can I have some advice please ?

If you study to get good Alevel grades you should be able to medicine but it’s different for all university’s check their entry requirements
Reply 2
I am not doing medicine so I am not the best at giving you the best advise at this course - but I will give it a go .

Medicine is a very competitive and top course , but I am sure you knew that already.

That really depends on the University - which you should invest some time in on their Entry Requirements

I took a look at Medicine at UCL (University College London) for 6 years. The entry requirements for A-Level is AAA and for GCSE they want a 6 in English Language in Maths [Link : https://digital.ucas.com/coursedisplay/courses/0d07284e-52d0-b521-ffae-9ea786ed511d?academicYearId=2022]

Now, I really doubt other Universities will look into your GCSEs when your applying for Medicine , but as I repeat it is a competitive course , so it depends.
Reply 3
I think that you can still study medicine, but I wouldn’t hope for Oxford, or possibly Cambridge. Even though it will be harder for you if you get good A-levels then I don’t see why you wouldn’t have any opportunities.
Original post by DIDINOW
I think that you can still study medicine, but I wouldn’t hope for Oxford, or possibly Cambridge. Even though it will be harder for you if you get good A-levels then I don’t see why you wouldn’t have any opportunities.

hi im also aiming for medicine but really want to go to cambridge for gcse i got 9 in maths and physics and 8 in bio chem rs history arabic 7 in spanish and 6 in both english. do u think i stand a chance pls
Reply 5
Wanna hear something, I got a grade 6in bio a grade 5! In chem and a grade 7 in Physics which is S***. However I swore to get redemption and this year I got into medical school with my A level grades being A* in chemistry A* in Physics and A in biology. I worked hard and if any of you feel let down by GCSEs then don’t worry just learn from your mistakes.
Reply 6
Original post by Kylo_Vader
hi im also aiming for medicine but really want to go to cambridge for gcse i got 9 in maths and physics and 8 in bio chem rs history arabic 7 in spanish and 6 in both english. do u think i stand a chance pls

Yes your GCSEs sound good, what are you predicted in A levels? If you have a prediction of AAA then go for it and apply :smile:
Original post by 123ereeerrgh

as long as you study and take extra curricular activities and make yourself look good for unis you will be ok cause unis don't really look at GCSE's as a way to get in and if you want to go into medicine it might be good to take a first aid course or an online medical course so it will impress unis as it looks like your taking iniotiative into the subject and have passion for it. and also we all have those idiot teachers who don't help anyone but u did good in your gcse's so you don't have to worry about them they are mostly for getting into college anyways. hope this helps
Reply 8
Original post by Kylo_Vader

I wish I could give you a clear answer, but I am not the one that could really be able to do it. It seems that your grades relating to science are amazing, and they would increase your overall score. From what I know Cambridge focuses less on the GCSEs, but rather what you have achieved in your A-levels. Your advisors, and the people from the Oxbridge program can give you a better estimate of your chance.

Quick Reply

Latest