The Student Room Group
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool

Virtual Open Days - How to decide Uni?

I was planning on going to some Univeristy open days as they're highly recommended and I wanted to have a look at a few diff departments and be able to speak to students etc but from most Unis I've looked at they're only offering Virtual tours etc.

I feel like it won't really give me the same idea as if I were to go there in person and I feel like seeing it all irl would be really beneficial :/

If anyone is interested I am currently considering these universities (just to mention these are the ones I've found myself looking at most often, I will probably consider others too but atm these are the ones I find myself gravitating towards) and if anyone is studying there or has some useful info I'd really appreciate it -
- University of Liverpool
- Liverpool John Moores
- Manchester Metropolitan

Also any help on deciding how to choose a Uni? As in if anyone was considering multiple how did you know which one you wanted to end up in - did you tend to look at student satisfaction, results, the general 'vibe' etc (which I suppose will be hard to determine if there will be no actual Open Days)
Original post by Anonymous
I was planning on going to some Univeristy open days as they're highly recommended and I wanted to have a look at a few diff departments and be able to speak to students etc but from most Unis I've looked at they're only offering Virtual tours etc.

I feel like it won't really give me the same idea as if I were to go there in person and I feel like seeing it all irl would be really beneficial :/

If anyone is interested I am currently considering these universities (just to mention these are the ones I've found myself looking at most often, I will probably consider others too but atm these are the ones I find myself gravitating towards) and if anyone is studying there or has some useful info I'd really appreciate it -
- Liverpool John Moores

Also any help on deciding how to choose a Uni? As in if anyone was considering multiple how did you know which one you wanted to end up in - did you tend to look at student satisfaction, results, the general 'vibe' etc (which I suppose will be hard to determine if there will be no actual Open Days)

What course are you interested in? I went to Liverpool, so happy to offer any advice.
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
This list may help you decide
Quality of teaching offered
University reputation
Quality of facilities onsite
Reviews
Level of experience of staff
Quality of resources
Reply 3
Original post by Sandtrooper
What course are you interested in? I went to Liverpool, so happy to offer any advice.

To be honest I'm still not completely sure but I am considering Business or Communications & Media that sort of stuff (which I know many people say is what you choose when you don't know what you want to do which is technically true in my case haha but still I don't know I kinda like the sound of those)
Reply 4
Original post by tinygirl96
This list may help you decide
Quality of teaching offered
University reputation
Quality of facilities onsite
Reviews
Level of experience of staff
Quality of resources

thank you! will def spend some time to research it! do you potentially know of any sites that may do sort of summaries of universities or anything along those lines?
To be honest I'm still not completely sure but I am considering Business or Communications & Media that sort of stuff (which I know many people say is what you choose when you don't know what you want to do which is technically true in my case haha but still I don't know I kinda like the sound of those)

That's fair, both are pretty good degrees at UoL. Business has great career support and good opportunities for placement years etc, so I would definitely recommend it, from the experiences of my friends.

- Liverpool John Moores

Hi there!

Glad to hear that you are considering studying at the University of Liverpool. I can appreciate it's frustrating that the in-person open days are still not commencing this Autumn - however I would urge you still to attend the virtual open days as it will give you the opportunity to learn more about the courses that are offered and should help you to identify which course is most appropriate for you.

In addition, I would recommend independently visiting the University if you think it would be useful in determining weather you like the feel of the University. Although you might not be able to access lots of the buildings you would be able to walk around most of the campus and get a feel for the 'vibe' of the University as you put it! Given that you are interested in John Moors too you could combine your visit with a walk around their campus and also the city itself - which has lots of great attractions.

I've been a student at the University for a while now as I'm a PhD student, so if there is anything in particular that you would like to know about the University or city then ask away :smile:

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep
Reply 7
Original post by University of Liverpool Student Rep
Hi there!

Glad to hear that you are considering studying at the University of Liverpool. I can appreciate it's frustrating that the in-person open days are still not commencing this Autumn - however I would urge you still to attend the virtual open days as it will give you the opportunity to learn more about the courses that are offered and should help you to identify which course is most appropriate for you.

In addition, I would recommend independently visiting the University if you think it would be useful in determining weather you like the feel of the University. Although you might not be able to access lots of the buildings you would be able to walk around most of the campus and get a feel for the 'vibe' of the University as you put it! Given that you are interested in John Moors too you could combine your visit with a walk around their campus and also the city itself - which has lots of great attractions.

I've been a student at the University for a while now as I'm a PhD student, so if there is anything in particular that you would like to know about the University or city then ask away :smile:

Hi!
I'm definitely going to try and attend as many of the virtual open days as possible since it's the closest I may be able to get to an actual open day haha but I also don't live far from Liverpool so I will for sure be visiting the campus - I've been to Liverpool previously a few times and always loved it there (the main reason both those unis are in my top list) but seeing it from a perspective of potential student will make it easier to see how it'll all look in the future.

In regards to questions I have a few if you don't mind.
1 - If you initially considered other unis too, what made you choose Liverpool?
2 - If you had stayed in halls/student accommodation was it of a good quality/standard?
3 - Are there many attractions/places students can visit?
4 - Are the tutors helpful and understanding?
5 - What are the facilities like?
6 - What is the campus culture/is there anything the uni is well known for?

I hope they're all okay and I appreciate all the help :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Sandtrooper
That's fair, both are pretty good degrees at UoL. Business has great career support and good opportunities for placement years etc, so I would definitely recommend it, from the experiences of my friends.

I might be reaching here but is there a possibility any of your friends or other students you know studying Business or that sort of stuff are on TSR? I'd be interested in potentially getting in contact with them on here and just finding out more info.

No worries if not! :smile:
I might be reaching here but is there a possibility any of your friends or other students you know studying Business or that sort of stuff are on TSR? I'd be interested in potentially getting in contact with them on here and just finding out more info.

No worries if not! :smile:

If you want to ask me some questions, I can send them to my friend, but I don't know of anyone on TSR who's currently in the business school.

- Liverpool John Moores

Hi @Anonymous,

You are definitely right in that University Open Days are a great way to look around the Campus and to meet Academics and Students who are currently studying there.

The University of Lincoln have some in-person Open Days happening this Autumn which we would love to welcome you along to. You can find a list of all our upcoming events here but I thought I would highlight our next ones in the hopes that helps you.

Saturday 25th September 10am-2pm
Sunday 10th October 10am-2pm
Saturday 23rd October 10am-2pm
Saturday 13th November 10am-2pm
Wednesday 8th December 10am-2pm

The booking link for all of these can be found on our website here.

I don't think you mentioned which course you were wanting to look at specifically but if you let us know then we can send you some more course specific information as well.

If you have any further questions our enquiries team are always happy to help. Their email is: [email protected]

Hope that helps and best of luck with your Uni search!!

Megan
Year 3 BA Education Student
Hi!
I'm definitely going to try and attend as many of the virtual open days as possible since it's the closest I may be able to get to an actual open day haha but I also don't live far from Liverpool so I will for sure be visiting the campus - I've been to Liverpool previously a few times and always loved it there (the main reason both those unis are in my top list) but seeing it from a perspective of potential student will make it easier to see how it'll all look in the future.

In regards to questions I have a few if you don't mind.
1 - If you initially considered other unis too, what made you choose Liverpool?
2 - If you had stayed in halls/student accommodation was it of a good quality/standard?
3 - Are there many attractions/places students can visit?
4 - Are the tutors helpful and understanding?
5 - What are the facilities like?
6 - What is the campus culture/is there anything the uni is well known for?

I hope they're all okay and I appreciate all the help :smile:

Hi there!

Glad to hear that you are planning to still visit the city and the campus - great choice. I can appreciate the downside of not being able to speak to current students in person, so a good opportunity to speak that you might be interested in is Unibuddy, where you can connect with current students, you can access it here: https://www.liverpool.ac.uk/study/chat/

So I'll try and summarise my response to these great questions! So my halls were amazing, very social and I have great memories from them, sadly they are closed now, but the upside of that is that all the current accommodations at the University of Liverpool are either very new (e.g. built in the past 5 -10 years) so are of great quality. I have found that all my interactions with tutors have been quite relaxed and they are generally very supportive, for example, if you feel you need some more support on a certain aspect of the course they will provide this for you. The facilities of the University are great but vary between departments. You said you are interested in Business, so I will focus upon this, the Management school has recently been expanded and has its own dedicated computer facilities and a virtual trading room which is really cool! Otherwise, there are two huge libraries on campus, and many computer rooms and private study spaces which you can use.

I hope this is helpful for you, and I would definitely recommend contacting some current Business students on Unibuddy as they will give you a great insight into the course itself.

Quick Reply

Latest