Starlesscosmos
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello guys,

Sorry I've been pestering these forums all weekend. I was wondering whether I would need a physics A Level to do a Maths degree at top unis like Oxbridge (may as well aim high while I can eh?). I know that Physics A Level isn't necessary but I was worried that not taking it would disadvantage my application.

For the reference, if I were to drop Physics, my subjects would be Maths, Further Maths (self-studied), English, and German. My course of choice would be Oxford's Mathematics and Philosophy course

Thanks for all the support so far!
kanvi06
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Nope, I’m sure physics isn’t a requirement nor is it something you need for a maths degree, even at top universities. Although if you’ve looked at the course specifications and there are some modules that include physics, you should consider still reading about it briefly beforehand.
Maths Fan
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No need for Physics for Oxbridge. I’ve never heard of any university requiring it for a Mathematics degree.
noyou1234
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Nope just maths and further maths
Anonymous(
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Starlesscosmos)
Hello guys,

Sorry I've been pestering these forums all weekend. I was wondering whether I would need a physics A Level to do a Maths degree at top unis like Oxbridge (may as well aim high while I can eh?). I know that Physics A Level isn't necessary but I was worried that not taking it would disadvantage my application.

For the reference, if I were to drop Physics, my subjects would be Maths, Further Maths (self-studied), English, and German. My course of choice would be Oxford's Mathematics and Philosophy course

Thanks for all the support so far!
Nope, A level Physics isn’t a formal requirement. Since you’re doing two other proper academic subjects, it’s not a problem. However, some Cambridge colleges want the 3rd A level to be a science and some specifically want it to be Physics. The other Cambridge colleges don’t care and you won’t be disadvantaged at all. No Oxford college specifically requires physics either. Whilst it is true that many applicants to Oxbridge maths take a level physics, not taking it doesn’t disadvantage you. On the regular maths courses, there is at least 1 compulsory physics course but since you’re applying for maths and philosophy, I don’t think there is any physics module in any year. In fact, essay based subjects will probably make you a stronger applicant for maths and philosophy at Oxford.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
No. It might help with any mechanics based options (which you usually will have at least some content for in first year) but is not a formal requirement and even for those, they are taught in a calculus based way (actually usually a differential equations based way) so A-level Physics (which is all algebra based) is not even that useful other than maybe having slightly more physical intuition about the problems posed.
Anonymous(
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
No. It might help with any mechanics based options (which you usually will have at least some content for in first year) but is not a formal requirement and even for those, they are taught in a calculus based way (actually usually a differential equations based way) so A-level Physics (which is all algebra based) is not even that useful other than maybe having slightly more physical intuition about the problems posed.
Op wants to do maths and philosophy at Oxford, which has no dynamics/mechanics/physics. So she doesn’t even have to worry about that!
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous()
Op wants to do maths and philosophy at Oxford, which has no dynamics/mechanics/physics. So she doesn’t even have to worry about that!
Yes but other maths courses they apply to may have that content so something to be aware of in general
Anonymous(
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by artful_lounger)
Yes but other maths courses they apply to may have that content so something to be aware of in general
Yeah that’s true
edb792
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
A-level physics involves so little mathematics that it isn't really helpful, even for undergraduate applied modules such as electromagnetism, dynamics and relativity.
Cs115
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I think the only reason i did physics was bc I knew id be doing mech in maths and fm and so I thought the subjects would overlap so it would be less work.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (236)
57.28%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (53)
12.86%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (46)
11.17%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (36)
8.74%
I haven't started researching yet (23)
5.58%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
4.37%

Watched Threads