fastfoxblox
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi all,
A few months ago I decided that I wanted to do my Geography NEA on coastal defences. I'm comparing the coastal defences of Holderness Coast (with secondary data) with New Brighton (with primary data) but it's been very difficult to collect primary (and secondary) data on this coast. We're not allowed to ask the teachers at all for help with this so I'm kind of stumped. The most I've done so far is collected responses on people's views of the vulnerability of the coast using an online survey, the topography of the area and taken pictures of the defences. Finally, I did a bi-polar analysis of the coastal defences of New Brighton.

The title of the NEA is:
'What social, economic and environmental impacts does coastal erosion, and coastal defences, have on the towns of Holderness and New Brighton?'

And the sub-questions are:

Which erosion preventative measures are economically feasible for smaller towns?

What towns are most effected by coastal erosion?

What dangers does coastal erosion introduce?

Is hard or soft engineering a more viable/effective mitigation strategy to coastal erosion?

What methods has New Brighton used to successfully implement erosion-prevention measures, and where has Holderness lacked this?

Are the methods used sustainable and future-proof?

Considering these, what are some good primary (and secondary) data collection methods for coastal management? It feels like an uphill battle just to collect data on both of these areas.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by fastfoxblox; 1 month ago
Will_Armo
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi,

In short, you've made this very hard for yourself.

I would say you need a bit more numerical data to back up whichever conclusions you come to, there's some pretty good stuff on the East Riding of Yorkshire Council page, google scholar would also come into gear here. I too did my NEA on the Holderness Coast and the effects of coastal management strategies on the coastline. I'm not familiar with New Brighton, but I would identify which strategies are put in place at both and analyse the successes and downfalls in each location (socially, economically and environmentally) - collecting data for this will be tricky to do, like you say you've gathered opinions which is good. Environmentally you might compare satellite images for the coastline shape prior to the addition of management strategies. Economically, is a hard one.

In truth, I would say your proposal question is a little too broad, what you've done is merged the physical and social aspects of the discipline together. It's going to take you a hell of a lot of time to collect and present the data to answer all of your questions, sub-questions and hypothesise.

Another problem is that you're comparing a very specific location, with a very long coastline - this will mess with your results a little. I would suggest taking data from a Town called Hornsea on the Holderness coast, where erosion happens frequently (up to 10m/year in some parts), mainly down to geology.

If it's not too late, it might need a rethink? But I'm only offering my experience of what my classmates and I did in Sixth Form.

Best of Luck!
fastfoxblox
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Will_Armo)
Hi,

In short, you've made this very hard for yourself.

I would say you need a bit more numerical data to back up whichever conclusions you come to, there's some pretty good stuff on the East Riding of Yorkshire Council page, google scholar would also come into gear here. I too did my NEA on the Holderness Coast and the effects of coastal management strategies on the coastline. I'm not familiar with New Brighton, but I would identify which strategies are put in place at both and analyse the successes and downfalls in each location (socially, economically and environmentally) - collecting data for this will be tricky to do, like you say you've gathered opinions which is good. Environmentally you might compare satellite images for the coastline shape prior to the addition of management strategies. Economically, is a hard one.

In truth, I would say your proposal question is a little too broad, what you've done is merged the physical and social aspects of the discipline together. It's going to take you a hell of a lot of time to collect and present the data to answer all of your questions, sub-questions and hypothesise.

Another problem is that you're comparing a very specific location, with a very long coastline - this will mess with your results a little. I would suggest taking data from a Town called Hornsea on the Holderness coast, where erosion happens frequently (up to 10m/year in some parts), mainly down to geology.

If it's not too late, it might need a rethink? But I'm only offering my experience of what my classmates and I did in Sixth Form.

Best of Luck!
Thanks for the reply. Do you think it would be better if I did a question only on Holderness, or New Brighton, rather than comparing the two? I think it would be much easier for me, because the question right now it feels like a huge ordeal for me to do.
Will_Armo
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by fastfoxblox)
Thanks for the reply. Do you think it would be better if I did a question only on Holderness, or New Brighton, rather than comparing the two? I think it would be much easier for me, because the question right now it feels like a huge ordeal for me to do.
No worries, and yes, absolutely.

Again - I can't speak for New Brighton, but geographically speaking the Holderness coast has a lot going for it that would make it key to an investigation. Particularly the coastal towns of Hornsea and Mappleton, there's a lot of data on erosion rates here so it may be easier to gather secondary information. Glaringly obvious thing is the erosion south of Hornsea, which you might base an investigation around - exploring why, how and to what extent since coastal management was implicated.

You could still compare both locations, but if you were to do that, I'd narrow it down a lot in terms of sub-questions. Do what works for you, though.

Any further questions, I'm happy to help you out. Just ask
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (284)
57.72%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (67)
13.62%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (53)
10.77%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (42)
8.54%
I haven't started researching yet (26)
5.28%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (20)
4.07%

Watched Threads