The Student Room Group

Westminster Architecture Y1

Hi there all,

I'm starting Architecture BA at University of Westminster on the 20th and I just have a few questions and would appreciate any advice on how to get started now and how to prepare for first year.

I know a lot of people tend to say first year is laid back and shouldn't worry too much, but I want to put my foot forward and get into it as soon as I can to be in a comfortable position in terms of studying.

I wanted to ask if there's anything I can do in the week that I have left to prepare myself for whatever is about to come in the first year of study.

Also if it's a necessity to have a laptop or if an iPad would work OK? I have a 7th Gen iPad and I'm planning on getting a (Logitech) keyboard with it as well for typing.
I did Art, Maths and Physics for A levels which I got A*AA in but if there's anything to be wary about in terms of maths in physics which I should freshen up upon, that would be appreciated.

I am currently doing work experience at a Structural Engineering firm, doing architectural drawings of plans, elevations etc on CAD just to help me into understanding it better for the future when I'd need to use it.
Any other softwares to maybe start learning about? I know how to use SketchUp and know there's revit but haven't really looked into it that much.

I also take a ton of photos on a 50mm lens Nikon D5000 so I'm hoping they might come in handy to use about in uni too? Maybe as reference to anything or for building / textures etc idk.

Thanks for any advice or information.
I appreciate it.

Regards
Raiyaan

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending