The Student Room Group

Civil Service fast stream 2022

Scroll to see replies

Might have been answered already, but are the Assessment Centres scheme specific?

i.e. Finance AC will be different to Government Economics Service and HOP

Thanks
Original post by Dan1180
Still haven’t heard back from VI after completing it on Monday 25th October, so 4 weeks today.

Hoping it’s my HoP choice holding me up, but then again I would imagine I have been sifted out of this stream earlier on in the process which is worrying me.

My scores at Online Exercise Stage:
“More than Majority”
“High Range”
“Average”
“Above Average”

Work Based Scenarios:
“Above Average”
“Average”

My streams are:
Finance > HoP > Digital > Generalist

I am worried now that I won’t be passing for my first choice as I’ve seen a fair number of people say they’ve been asked to do numerical tests for their Finance application ☹️.

Anybody know if there will be later Finance AC’s or shall I write my first stream off at this point?

I did mine Oct 24th still not heard, my streams were HR, Project Delivery Generalist

I did mine Oct 24th still not heard, my streams were HR, Project Delivery Generalist
Original post by DannyFavs
Honestly, for all of us still waiting who did the VI weeks ago, I think it’s quite unfair. Making people wait many weeks, while others are long moved on, isn’t right. Reject me, or approve me, but the limbo isn’t fair. Thinking of withdrawing my application just to end the wait

Hi there, I strongly recommend you just continue being patient. I got my results fairly quickly (3 weeks after interview) and it’s because I failed 3 out of 4 streams. Consider it this way: you’re still in the running for multiple streams & they’re probably comparing your results etc. You still have possibilities and - fingers crossed - a good result.

It’s very tiring and easier said than done. The best way to cope is actually to not think about it at all. Tbh, the minute I stopped thinking about fast stream (I went for a weekend staycation) that was when I got my results :smile: so just keep at it and don’t worry too much.

I empathise with how frustrating it is but just don’t give up yet. Good luck!
Original post by danbroown
Might have been answered already, but are the Assessment Centres scheme specific?

i.e. Finance AC will be different to Government Economics Service and HOP

Thanks

I don’t think so, no.

Because every AC has a variety of candidates. And no one is competing against each other (there is the possibility everyone in your AC could pass - or fail - together).
Original post by christiang339
Not heard back from my VI yet & HR was my first choice, how about you?

I had:
Diplo
Generalist
HR
HoP

I got 4 above averages then 1 above average with 1 average.

I failed the other three in the WBS (I’m assuming it was the average) but I passed for HR.

AC is mid December for me
Original post by SUZIEF27

Me too SuzieF27 - same schemes, same VI date, still no response :frown:
Reply 1986
Original post by mayaa9332
Hello! I apologise if this is the wrong thread to ask, or if this has been asked previously, but I was wondering if anyone knew what to put for the 'List the details of the subjects and modules studies in each year student room' section? Am I just supposed to give the titles of the modules for each year? I'm only in first year, so i'm not sure if i need to write all the modules for each year and how much detail to go in to?

I applied for the Early Diversity Internship programme, and this is for the stage that comes after the online tests.

Hey, I did the EDIP back in 2018 and for that part of the application I listed just the titles of the modules I had, including the ones for upcoming years, just by having a look on my course website and assuming which ones I'd pick. Hope that helps
Original post by psych95
Is anyone else through for HR?

HR is my second choice and I had my Assessment Centre today.
Biggest piece of advice I can give everyone for the Assessment Centre is to just try and enjoy it, the topics were interesting and I really enjoyed the group section so don't stress too much if you can help it - the provided PDF has all the info you need to prepare. Good learning experience even if I don't get any further :smile:
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1988
Original post by psych95
I had:
Diplo
Generalist
HR
HoP

I got 4 above averages then 1 above average with 1 average.

I failed the other three in the WBS (I’m assuming it was the average) but I passed for HR.

AC is mid December for me

Yikes, I also applied for Diplo, Generalist, and HoP and got above average and average in the WBS.
Reply 1989
Original post by Dan1180
Still haven’t heard back from VI after completing it on Monday 25th October, so 4 weeks today.

Hoping it’s my HoP choice holding me up, but then again I would imagine I have been sifted out of this stream earlier on in the process which is worrying me.

My scores at Online Exercise Stage:
“More than Majority”
“High Range”
“Average”
“Above Average”

Work Based Scenarios:
“Above Average”
“Average”

My streams are:
Finance > HoP > Digital > Generalist

I am worried now that I won’t be passing for my first choice as I’ve seen a fair number of people say they’ve been asked to do numerical tests for their Finance application ☹️.

Anybody know if there will be later Finance AC’s or shall I write my first stream off at this point?

Just to let you know, fwiw I got through for Finance after getting two averages in WBS (it is the only one I got through for and sadly I don’t want to be an accountant lol)
So definitely do not rule it out as unless you were ruled out at the online test stage (where I also got an average) I believe you will be ok and it is HOP etc holding it up ;-)
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Coink
Yikes, I also applied for Diplo, Generalist, and HoP and got above average and average in the WBS.

Someone with average THEN above average actually passed the WBS. So it’s very annoying lol
Reply 1991
Oh really. Which streams??
Original post by psych95
Someone with average THEN above average actually passed the WBS. So it’s very annoying lol

did they pass for HoP do you know
Reply 1993
Original post by psych95

To be honest I think this stuff is really hard to predict. I'm pretty sure I've seen others get through the WBS for Diplo and Generalist with above average and average.
(edited 2 years ago)
In WBS I received above average in both parts and schemes I applied were Finance, Commercial, Diplomatic and Generalist. I was told my application unsuccessful and didn't progress to VI.
Reply 1995
Sorry to hear you didn't get through. It just goes to show how inscrutable the process is (at least for the online tests).
Oh wow that’s really reassuring! Thanks for letting us know, hopefully my VI hasn’t gone too badly and I’m still in the running!

All the best for the rest of the process if you decide to crack on even though you don’t want to be an accountant!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by sv98
Hey, I did the EDIP back in 2018 and for that part of the application I listed just the titles of the modules I had, including the ones for upcoming years, just by having a look on my course website and assuming which ones I'd pick. Hope that helps

Thank you!!!
Original post by FxTpltf
Hey is it possible you could tell me how you answer the questions for the additional information? I’ve been sifted out but I’ve done two dissertations with a huge emphasis on social research so very confused. Would be great if you could let me know for next year.

I found the additional questions slightly confusing, so I'm not entirely sure what worked for me. I also qualify both through my degree as well as practical research experience.

My strategy was to state the number of ECTS from my courses in my MSc that were focused on social research methods.

I then went through all my course descriptions and stated the types of social research topics that were covered in each, linking them to the required topics that they want for Government Social Research.

I then did the same for my PhD that I am currently studying (though it is more research than course based) and the practical experience I have. For things like my dissertations I also linked this back to the topic requirements for GSR, for example saying I conducted semi-structured interviews and focus groups, applied for ethics approval etc
Original post by hannahsz
for those successful - did you get an email to say congrats and a date of the AC? or just a congrats and you would wait for the date thereafter

Yh mine was titled you need to confirm your assessment date

Quick Reply

Latest