The Student Room Group

Civil Service fast stream 2022

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Yaminul
Has anyone else gotten above average in both WBS and not unlocked the VI yet?

Submitted my tests weeks ago :frown:

My programmes were generalist/Diplo/commercial/finance

You will be fine for 2 or 3 programmes so will get the interview sooner or later, I think Diplomatic option is holding you back. Tbh I don't understand your logic for choosing Diplo as 2nd option after Generalist- if you are not selected for Generalist then there is no chance that you will be selected for Diplo, bcs Diplo is far more competitive than Generalist.
Original post by sjtrinder
No clue about penalised, and obviously haven't got feedback for this year. But last year I passed and my feedback was that I was above average and got through to AC after 3 days. Last year when it was 30 seconds shorter I filled the time pretty much completely, some I stopped maybe 10-15 seconds early, some ran over and I didn't finish my answer.

Thank you! That’s really good to know. Also, congrats for passing the video interview last year! :smile:
Original post by KEScholar
You will be fine for 2 or 3 programmes so will get the interview sooner or later, I think Diplomatic option is holding you back. Tbh I don't understand your logic for choosing Diplo as 2nd option after Generalist- if you are not selected for Generalist then there is no chance that you will be selected for Diplo, bcs Diplo is far more competitive than Generalist.

Would rather be on the generalist programme so my choice was either leave off Diplo completely and apply for 3 schemes (not really interested in any of the others) or put it as second. Didn't think it would do any harm to keep it. I also believe there is a brief period in time where you can withdraw from a programme i.e. generalist and then Diplo would be my first choice if I really wanted to go for it (I know you can't change your preferences but you can withdraw).
Reply 703
How long do we have to answer questions in the video interview? Is it 2 mins or 2:30mins? Have been seeing conflicting information - Would be useful to know, thanks!
Reply 704
Original post by KEScholar

Hi I have Diplo as my first choice, commercial generalist, property......got above average for both WBS...my VI opened up straight away, did it a couple of weeks ago, surprised yours didn't?

good luck! you will be fine! :smile:
Reply 705
Hi, yes I did, it said I was successful almost instantly but took a few days for interview to unlock
Hey is there anyone that felt their interview went really well? (Or actually did get through to the next stage?) what advice could you give us as I’m preparing to do the interview ! Thank you
Hello all,
anyone heard back from their VI, do you know if they gave you feedback straight away regarding your scores. or do you only get feedback from the interview after finding out if you passed the next stage or not.
Reply 708
Original post by harpsdhillon
Hello all,
anyone heard back from their VI, do you know if they gave you feedback straight away regarding your scores. or do you only get feedback from the interview after finding out if you passed the next stage or not.

did the VI a couple of weeks ago, still nothing, don't think you get it the results till find out if you've passed to the next stage, and I think that's from the start of when the initial application window closes?
I am doing my interview tomorrow, any advice?
Original post by jbrankin07
Just did the Video Interview, and it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. All the questions are relatively straight-forward and if you've done a little preparation I think you'll be fine.
Whether they like my answers or not... that's another matter haha

(I'm not saying I did well btw, but I didn't crawl up into a ball and cry. So we're classing that as a win)

Hi, do you have any other advice on what preparation to do?
Original post by KimDaley97
Hi, do you have any other advice on what preparation to do?

Nothing that you haven't already probably done. Check the Fast Stream FAQ page for strengths they may ask you about. Prepare examples for each, but be ready to think on your feet when your examples don't fit the questions they ask.

In response to people asking about timing - whether you speak for the whole time, finish early, or get cut off - that entirely depends on the question. I finished a few seconds early on a couple. One question I got cut off in my last sentence, but I got across everything I wanted to say without feeling time pressure.
Reply 712
Original post by jbrankin07
Nothing that you haven't already probably done. Check the Fast Stream FAQ page for strengths they may ask you about. Prepare examples for each, but be ready to think on your feet when your examples don't fit the questions they ask.

In response to people asking about timing - whether you speak for the whole time, finish early, or get cut off - that entirely depends on the question. I finished a few seconds early on a couple. One question I got cut off in my last sentence, but I got across everything I wanted to say without feeling time pressure.

Thank you! This is really useful and sounds like you smashed it so well done! Quick question, is there a timer? If so how long do we have to answer each question?
Original post by zcmm
That is definitely a win - good to hear! Going to do mine tomorrow, what’s the best way to prepare would you say? As in what did you find most useful to do with your time leading up to it?

The Vi is based around the strengths they posted on the guidance, give examples surrounding those strengths.
just finished the first four tests, does anyone know how long it took for them to find out if they had been successful to move onto the next stage?
Re VI - obviously the VI is no longer a blind application process, does anyone know if that means it’s okay to reference your degree/degree grades, and real company names of where you’ve worked if relevant?
Reply 716
Do you guys think its okay if your answers are between 1:30-2mins? I genuinely don’t feel like I can completely fill the time up
Original post by Nw227
Do you guys think its okay if your answers are between 1:30-2mins? I genuinely don’t feel like I can completely fill the time up

I highly recommend that you aim for the time limit given, it is there for a reason.

Try to expand on your answers as much as possible, but do not waffle, speak slowly and clearly and make sure to accurately get your point across. Before you know it, you would have used up the allocated time limit.

Hope that helps.
Original post by Stu76
Hi I have Diplo as my first choice, commercial generalist, property......got above average for both WBS...my VI opened up straight away, did it a couple of weeks ago, surprised yours didn't?

good luck! you will be fine

What did you get on the online test?

I picked Diplo, Houses of Parliament, HR, Generalist and the Summer Diversity internship. Got Average for both Work Style Qs and Above Average for the Situational Judgement tests. Literally just did my tests yesterday, so I'm waiting to see if I've gone through to WBS.
Reply 719
Scored Above average and below average in my WBS. Do I still stand a chance of making it through to the video interview?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending