taahaasrar
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I recently passed igcses with a good result comprising of A*s and As. Thinking of doing a level, my brother who has done ib told me its benefits of acceptance and better chances of scholarship with ib and that's making me unclear about my decision. I plan to do bachelors in accounts in USA or canada with a scholarship. For a levels, I've picked maths, accounts, business and economics. I'm confident enough to say that I can get at least 2A* in A levels. Are there things I can do along with my a level to stand out when it comes to uni acceptance and scholarships?..because hopefully that might level off the advantage ib has in US. Should I also pick a science subject and drop one business subject because I heard unis like a broad selection of subjects? (I'm good at sciences)
Last edited by taahaasrar; 1 month ago
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by taahaasrar)
I recently passed igcses with a good result comprising of A*s and As. Thinking of doing a level, my brother who has done ib told me its benefits of acceptance and better chances of scholarship with ib and that's making me unclear about my decision. I plan to do bachelors in accounts in USA or canada with a scholarship. For a levels, I've picked maths, accounts, business and economics. I'm confident enough to say that I can get at least 2A* in A levels. Are there things I can do along with my a level to stand out when it comes to uni acceptance and scholarships?..because hopefully that might level off the advantage ib has in US. Should I also pick a science subject and drop one business subject because I heard unis like a broad selection of subjects? (I'm good at sciences)
There should be no particular advantage in applying with the IB versus A-levels. You will be compared to other UK students who will mostly have A-levels anyway.
Regarding scholarships, some school do have merit scholarships, but they are hard to come by. In general, if you are looking for scholarships you will simply apply for the need-based ones (which might or might not include a merit/academic component). The main hurdle is getting in, most colleges that meet need will then determine the amount of aid you'll receive based on parents income/assets. Merit scholarships are not stackable with need-based aid in most cases anyway, so the total amount of aid you get won't change- it will be just split in two components. For a detailed financial aid explanation and list of schools that offer aid, check out the inned thread by kamara41, it's got everything you need.
taahaasrar
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
There should be no particular advantage in applying with the IB versus A-levels. You will be compared to other UK students who will mostly have A-levels anyway.
Regarding scholarships, some school do have merit scholarships, but they are hard to come by. In general, if you are looking for scholarships you will simply apply for the need-based ones (which might or might not include a merit/academic component). The main hurdle is getting in, most colleges that meet need will then determine the amount of aid you'll receive based on parents income/assets.
Merit scholarships are not stackable with need-based aid in most cases anyway, so the total amount of aid you get won't change- it will be just split in two components. For a detailed financial aid explanation and list of schools that offer aid, check out the inned thread by kamara41, it's got everything you need
Thanks for your response. Regarding the discussion, I'll attach a document of statistical analysis made by someone comparing acceptance rates of ib compared to other systems. I also visited NYU's website to see what they mainly demand for an admission. Turns out there are things you get with ib (eg 2 years in foreign language, 4 years of english). One of my teachers also claimed that ib is chosen over a level because it is scarce when compared to the competition a level and sat have.. so basically ib just raises the probability of getting into a uni. just wanted to verify if this is true. would be great if i get this cleared out since i have to take my decision tomorrow.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
Thanks for your response. Regarding the discussion, I'll attach a document of statistical analysis made by someone comparing acceptance rates of ib compared to other systems. I also visited NYU's website to see what they mainly demand for an admission. Turns out there are things you get with ib (eg 2 years in foreign language, 4 years of english). One of my teachers also claimed that ib is chosen over a level because it is scarce when compared to the competition a level and sat have.. so basically ib just raises the probability of getting into a uni. just wanted to verify if this is true. would be great if i get this cleared out since i have to take my decision tomorrow.
Well, I got into 3 US colleges with the IB, so I'm not arguing... - in general I believe the IB is a superior qualification, both from a personal and reputational point of view. Those stats you posted apply to Americans so might not be that relevant for you, but of course the IB could help, and most certainly will not hurt. If you're not afraid of the extra work, definitely go for it! GL
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
USA universities accept both A levels and IB. The statistics from Crimson are not true for the general student-- especially for schools like UCHICAGO. Be mindful that they likely choose a select sample group (i.e those that are predicted 44/45) and then create the data.
taahaasrar
Rep:
?
USA universities accept both A levels and IB. The statistics from Crimson are not true for the general student-- especially for schools like UCHICAGO. Be mindful that they likely choose a select sample group (i.e those that are predicted 44/45) and then create the data.
I see.
Though one of my brothers friends got into NYU with a 100% scholarship with 40 points in ib and with little co curricular activities. On the other hand, one of my relatives had 4A*1A and a 1580/1600 on sat. And he failed to get a scholarship in the USA. Now he's studying in Turkey. I myself want to do a level since I have my career planned already, but these little things are confusing me.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
I see.
Though one of my brothers friends got into NYU with a 100% scholarship with 40 points in ib and with little co curricular activities. On the other hand, one of my relatives had 4A*1A and a 1580/1600 on sat. And he failed to get a scholarship in the USA. Now he's studying in Turkey. I myself want to do a level since I have my career planned already, but these little things are confusing me.
Oh -- I know someone who was predicted 3A*s and got into Stanford. Another was predicted 4 A*s and received scholarships from Columbia and another Ivy, but they ended up choosing Princeton. I guess it just depends on a case-by-case scenario since applications to the USA are holistic.
taahaasrar
Rep:
?
Oh -- I know someone who was predicted 3A*s and got into Stanford. Another was predicted 4 A*s and received scholarships from Columbia and another Ivy, but they ended up choosing Princeton. I guess it just depends on a case-by-case scenario since applications to the USA are holistic.
Damn that's impressive. Must be on their activities then I guess? Because 3A* are pretty common now in a level
philip.13o+++++
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Damn that's impressive. Must be on their activities then I guess? Because 3A* are pretty common now in a level
I’m looking to apply with 4A* in Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics. I need to show intellectual vitality in my limited EC’s but does that look good
Anonymous #2
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by philip.13o+++++)
I’m looking to apply with 4A* in Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Physics. I need to show intellectual vitality in my limited EC’s but does that look good
Yes, it looks good. How are your Year 12 and Year 10 grades? Also, essays are very important!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your education been disrupted this academic year due to the pandemic?

Yes (115)
86.47%
No (18)
13.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed