Proms night flooded with EU flags, how does that make you feel?

Watch
Ambitious1999
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
The last night of the proms was flooded with people displaying the EU flag.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/14...on-Albert-Hall

Does that offend you? Do you feel insecure and afraid of people showing their opinions especially when it’s showing support for something that many people loathe.
Or is it that those complaining about the EU flags are afraid of public opinion changing.

I know I’ll get slated on here for saying it but people should be entitled to show their support for something important to them. That’s democracy and democracy did not end in June 2016 or on Jan 1st 2021.

How do you feel about democracy?
JOSH4598
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Ambitious1999)
Does that offend you? Do you feel insecure and afraid of people showing their opinions especially when it’s showing support for something that many people loathe.
It definitely doesn't offend me, it just comes across as a bit sad that the Remainers want to wave their little EU flags to make an unnecessary political statement.

Brexit has happened and I think the majority of people, whether they be Leavers or Remainers, just want to move on from it. I can half-imagine certain sections of the Left still waving their EU flags about in twenty-year's time and dragging this back up again. By this stage it's boring!
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
As above, it is sad that these people displayed affinity for a foreign entity on a night celebrating many British staples.
Ambitious1999
Rep:
?
(Original post by JOSH4598)
It definitely doesn't offend me, it just comes across as a bit sad that the Remainers want to wave their little EU flags to make an unnecessary political statement.

Brexit has happened and I think the majority of people, whether they be Leavers or Remainers, just want to move on from it. I can half-imagine certain sections of the Left still waving their EU flags about in twenty-year's time and dragging this back up again. By this stage it's boring!
Sorry but that’s not gonna happen. So long as Britain is right next to a land where people enjoy free movement, free trade and human rights etc people for generations will always want to be part of that union again whether as part of its single market or fully back in the EU.

Remainers / rejoiners will NOT go away and will forever be a thorn in the side of Brexit and whatever government runs this country. New children will be born and grow up to ask why can’t we be part of Europe? In 20, 40 or however many years people will still want to be part of Europe.

The mistake the government made was tearing us completely out of the single market and everything. The referendum victory was very narrow. Remainers could have accepted leaving the EU but staying in the single market as a compromise but they were never given any compromise and for the sake of 4% we lost everything. It will not be forgotten or forgiven.

People want a progressive cosmopolitan society where they can freely live work study or retire in their neighbouring countries. That wish will never end. We don’t want to be a sad isolated hermit kingdom.

Democracy did not end on Jan 1st and people will not give up until we get back into Europe or the Single Market.

This is not over.

Sorry to disappoint.
Last edited by Ambitious1999; 5 days ago
Ambitious1999
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rakas21)
As above, it is sad that these people displayed affinity for a foreign entity on a night celebrating many British staples.
😂 😂
You got to admit there was a lot of them 😂

All those people wanting back the freedoms and futures they had taken away and more and more like them 😂

Never mind while uncle Bozo is in charge don’t think you’ve much to worry about.
Last edited by Ambitious1999; 5 days ago
Opinyons
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago

Or is it that those complaining about the EU flags are afraid of public opinion changing.

I know I’ll get slated on here for saying it but people should be entitled to show their support for something important to them. That’s democracy and democracy did not end in June 2016 or on Jan 1st 2021.

It doesn't offend me in the slightest. They can wave the flags all they want, it won't change anything. Many people have an opinion different to mine.

Public opinion could change, that is also fine, this is a democracy, albeit flawed.

I feel our democracy could certainly be better, but as for the proms, i couldn't care less.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
The Mastersingers of Nuremberg?
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
People want a progressive cosmopolitan society where they can freely live work study or retire in their neighbouring countries.
Why don't people vote for that then...?

Are you mixing up 'people' with 'I'?
HansLuben
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
The fifth column is alive and well in the UK.
Quady
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by HansLuben)
Which you appear to be part of given your use of a term created by spanish communists.
hotpud
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago

#strongertogether
-Imperator-
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
This is what passes for news...
Renner
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Sorry but that’s not gonna happen. So long as Britain is right next to a land where people enjoy free movement, free trade and human rights etc people for generations will always want to be part of that union again whether as part of its single market or fully back in the EU.

Remainers / rejoiners will NOT go away and will forever be a thorn in the side of Brexit and whatever government runs this country. New children will be born and grow up to ask why can’t we be part of Europe? In 20, 40 or however many years people will still want to be part of Europe.

The mistake the government made was tearing us completely out of the single market and everything. The referendum victory was very narrow. Remainers could have accepted leaving the EU but staying in the single market as a compromise but they were never given any compromise and for the sake of 4% we lost everything. It will not be forgotten or forgiven.

People want a progressive cosmopolitan society where they can freely live work study or retire in their neighbouring countries. That wish will never end. We don’t want to be a sad isolated hermit kingdom.

Democracy did not end on Jan 1st and people will not give up until we get back into Europe or the Single Market.

This is not over.

Sorry to disappoint.
Very few people in the U.K. benefited from free movement, many more lost out from depressed wages. It benefited middle class kids on long ski holidays. Incidentally if you really want to you are still free to move and work around the EU, it just sometimes involves more paperwork. Our human rights are doing just fine..

Staying in the single market but without being part of the EU decision making process would have been the worst possible outcome for those of us who supported leaving. It was never acceptable to the Brexit side. If your going to stay in the Single Market these is no point in leaving the EU at all, you may as well stay in. It’s not a compromise. It’s capulation. The whole point is divergence from the single market and its rules and regulations to better complete in the world market.

Being a ‘progressive cosmopolitan society’ has sod all to do with being in the EU or not. The point of Brexit is to reach out to the wider world, not be an ‘isolated hermit kingdom’.
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
There's a time and a place for politics, and I don't think events like this are one of them.

The Last Night has always been a mix of flags: not just the Union Jack, but other countries, parts of the UK, counties etc. It was cultural expression. But - and correct me if I'm wrong - the reason that the European flag was being flown was an overtly political statement.

Some people who have a political hobby horse like to politicise everything. Now, I've campaigned for political parties and causes - but there's some decent rules, like don't go in wearing party rosettes or whatever in a pub. Let politics have its place, but try to remember it isn't everything.
looloo2134
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Every year someone writes an article about flags at prom. Most years about union Jack that year eu flag do they have nothing better to do just enjoy it.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
All the eu flag wavers & their cats should be declared ineligible to claim anything from the uk welfare state (including healthcare) and also be subjected to an enhanced rate of taxation categories named 'the remoaners levy".
With the consequence of at least trebling all their annual taxes, road tolls, vat rates, parking costs, business rates and national insurance bills. :cool:

Name:  BBML.jpg
Views: 3
Size:  108.3 KB
"Great Britain, Great Brexit, Great Bulldog!" :biggrin:
Bazzax83
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago

This is not over.

Sorry to disappoint.
We are still in Europe, you know. Also, you have a passport.
Bazzax83
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
It comes across as a little petulant. I've always seen flags from around the world on the Last Night. These were banks of people with flags and berets of the EU gold and blue.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Its the proms, people have always waved various flags - who gives a toss if theyre EU ones (especially as most of the music is European) it would require a severely butt hurt and immature little darling to take offence at this. One who needs to grow up for good measure.
Nevermind somehow think democracy has anything to do with a musical event

Have you never listened to the proms?
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by HansLuben)
Do you not know what a 5th column is ..?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (3)
3.75%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (11)
13.75%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (14)
17.5%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (9)
11.25%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (29)
36.25%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (14)
17.5%

Watched Threads