verysmallman
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm doing maths,physics and biology and want to go to a russell group uni. Would I be able to go without further maths? My school does not offer it.
natily
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by verysmallman)
I'm doing maths,physics and biology and want to go to a russell group uni. Would I be able to go without further maths? My school does not offer it.
yeah! if you email the admissions department where they require FM, explain that you can't take it. they may want you to do AS. however, there are many russell groups that do not require FM. I'm going to Sheffield in September for CS and further maths is not required. very few unis require further maths for cs anyway
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Why a Russell Group university?
How high are you aiming?

Your school not offering it is a valid reason, IMO. It doesn't stop you from doing some self-study though, even if you don't register for the exam.
verysmallman
Rep:
?
(Original post by RogerOxon)
Why a Russell Group university?
How high are you aiming?

Your school not offering it is a valid reason, IMO. It doesn't stop you from doing some self-study though, even if you don't register for the exam.
I'd like to go to Manchester university. Though, I did look at oxford's requirements and it said that 97% of the people who entered did further maths.
Does Manchester put a lot of emphasis on further maths?
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You will be fine. If you get at least an A in maths you will have a very good selection of good universities.
natily
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'd like to go to Manchester university. Though, I did look at oxford's requirements and it said that 97% of the people who entered did further maths.
manchester website for comp sci bsc: Typical A-level offer

A*A*A including A* in Mathematics, and a minimum of one Science subject in the remaining A-Levels.

no fm required!
Evamenbzz
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You can also take a look at UCL! It does not require FM.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Are you in the UK?
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Oxford don't require FM, but almost all successful applicants will have it. If you meet the entry requirements, you can apply.

An issue for any University is how are you demonstrating your interest in software / CS?
verysmallman
Rep:
?
(Original post by Muttley79)
Are you in the UK?
yes
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
yes
Then your school can offer FMaths ... through AMSP.

https://amsp.org.uk/
HasanQ585
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You can get into a Russel Group without FM for sure

I'm doing CS at UCL and there's plenty here who didn't do FM
verysmallman
Rep:
?
Then your school can offer FMaths ... through AMSP.

https://amsp.org.uk/
How does that work? Do I talk to my school about this?
Pegasus25
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
My friend got an offer from Manchester university this year. He didn't have further maths as our school didn't offer it. He had to get an A* in maths A-level though, which he sadly didn't get.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
How does that work? Do I talk to my school about this?
Yes do - you get access to tuition. Your school should know about it as this provision has been around for nearly 20 years
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Pegasus25)
My friend got an offer from Manchester university this year. He didn't have further maths as our school didn't offer it. He had to get an A* in maths A-level though, which he sadly didn't get.
All schools in the UK can offer FMaths ...
Angelj16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You'll most likely get an offer from Manchester. I had AAA predicted last year and no further maths, got an offer from Manchester, Loughborough, Nottingham and Bristol.
Angelj16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
All schools in the UK can offer FMaths ...
They can, but some don't. Sometimes there aren't enough teachers, or the class is too small. Even universities know this, and make exceptions.
Muttley79
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Angelj16)
They can, but some don't. Sometimes there aren't enough teachers, or the class is too small. Even universities know this, and make exceptions.
They shouldn't because AMSP allows ALL schools to offer it however few want to take and without staff to teach it. I would hope this lie would be stamped out by now!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (150)
54.74%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (38)
13.87%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (31)
11.31%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (26)
9.49%
I haven't started researching yet (16)
5.84%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
4.74%

Watched Threads