The Student Room Group

Foundation Diploma?? Foundation Degree??

Hi um I'm in year 13 currently taking A Levels in Fine Art, English Lit and Religious Studies and although I'm expected to be progressing to uni in 2022 (and being pushed down the Oxbridge route) its really not feasible for me (medical issues) so I'm thinking about doing a foundation diploma but honestly, I'm really confused! I want to take it in Art and Design as I'm debating a BA in Fine Art or English Lit but I'm very confused as to what the difference between a foundation degree and a foundation diploma are? My local colleges offer the UAL Foundation Diploma in Art and Design and I think this is the right thing but I really don't know! Why does this have to be so difficult!!!???
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5017684 <= this thread explains the differences between the different foundations and explains more about FAD courses.
A foundation diploma is equivalent to A’levels (academic level 3). A foundation degree is 2/3 of a degree (equivalent to an HND - academic level 5), I googled…

If you’re being pointed toward Cambridge/Oxford then a foundation degree is not you, I would have thought? (A degree is awarded at academic level 6).

If you want to do a degree in the arts, but you are not yet sure in what field/discipline - or you just want to build a portfolio with a diversity of approaches and skills - then take an Arts Foundation at college before applying to University.

Universities now often have a Foundation Year or Year Zero, which is similar to the foundation diploma and - potentially - a ‘feeder’ course to a degree, but you will become liable for degree-level fees (I.e. £9,250) for that year.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest