How do I demonstrate problem-solving skills and creativity in a personal statement?

Watch this thread
Codemetry
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
How do I demonstrate problem-solving skills and creativity in a personal statement? Is it possible to not just mention "I joined XXX and improved my creativity/problem-solving skills"? Because I think it isn't convincing and demonstrating the skills I acquired. It would be great to be able to describe the process in which I gained the skills, but I don't know how to do that exactly. Also word count is very limited. Thanks!
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Codemetry)
How do I demonstrate problem-solving skills and creativity in a personal statement? Is it possible to not just mention "I joined XXX and improved my creativity/problem-solving skills"? Because I think it isn't convincing and demonstrating the skills I acquired. It would be great to be able to describe the process in which I gained the skills, but I don't know how to do that exactly. Also word count is very limited. Thanks!
Hi!
The way I went about this when I was writing my personal statement was to describe a situation in which you developed the skills.
For example, when I was on DofE we got really lost and arguments starting to occur. I tried to diffuse the situation by suggesting we have a break and using the key landmarks that we could see around us to pinpoint our location on the map. DofE helped me to develop my problem solving skills as I had to think on my feet to come up with solutions to obstacles we faced.
Just telling them you have certain skills isn't as effective as being able to prove you have certain skills.
You don't have to say too much, just think of a couple of skills you think would be really important for your course and give 1 example of when you showed that you had developed that skill.
Hope this helps!
Let me know if you have any other questions and I'd be happy to answer them.
Michaela - UoP Rep
Codemetry
Rep:
(Original post by University of Portsmouth Student Rep)
Hi!
The way I went about this when I was writing my personal statement was to describe a situation in which you developed the skills.
For example, when I was on DofE we got really lost and arguments starting to occur. I tried to diffuse the situation by suggesting we have a break and using the key landmarks that we could see around us to pinpoint our location on the map. DofE helped me to develop my problem solving skills as I had to think on my feet to come up with solutions to obstacles we faced.
Just telling them you have certain skills isn't as effective as being able to prove you have certain skills.
You don't have to say too much, just think of a couple of skills you think would be really important for your course and give 1 example of when you showed that you had developed that skill.
Hope this helps!
Let me know if you have any other questions and I'd be happy to answer them.
Michaela - UoP Rep
But I gained problem solving skills through doing challenging questions on my own. What should I do?
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
But I gained problem solving skills through doing challenging questions on my own. What should I do?
Explain a problem you solved and the way you approached the problem, any challenges involved and your eventual solution and any things you would change about how you approached the problem in retrospect.

Don’t SAY that you have problem solving skills - DEMONSTRATE it with a specific example.
Last edited by PQ; 8 months ago
Codemetry
Rep:
(Original post by PQ)
Explain a problem you solved and the way you approached the problem, any challenges involved and your eventual solution and any things you would change about how you approached the problem in retrospect.

Don’t SAY that you have problem solving skills - DEMONSTRATE it with a specific example.
My approach to the question AND the question itself are quite complicated, and in order to let the professors understand, I will need to explain in at least 60 English words. So, I am not sure if it will drive the personal statement off-topic. But meanwhile, if the questions and my approach can be easily explained because the question itself is easier or less complicated, then I think it will be less convincing for me to say I gained problem-solving skills from doing the questions.
Last edited by Codemetry; 8 months ago
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
My approach to the question AND the question itself are quite complicated, and in order to let the professors understand, I will need to explain in at least 60 English words. So, I am not sure if it will drive the personal statement off-topic. But meanwhile, if the questions and my approach can be easily explained because the question itself is easier or less complicated, then I think it will be less convincing for me to say I gained problem-solving skills from doing the questions.
If it's that complex then I wouldn't bother. No course will reject you for not giving an example of problem solving skills in your PS - if they need to see a specific level of problem solving skills then they will ask you to complete a test to measure that - they won't use the PS to filter applicants.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did the exam go for you?

Great! (6)
13.33%
Quite well (20)
44.44%
Not so good (12)
26.67%
Terrible! (7)
15.56%

Watched Threads