The Student Room Group

Pink Woshette visits Stratford Upon Avon and Warwick

Scroll to see replies

Afterwards, Woshette, who loves a turret and a bit of wood pannelling, went off to visit Warwick Castle

241762962_816686359023109_1214187115694410572_n.jpg
241771926_889538688366799_1310652359213895013_n.jpg

241752818_286375349601059_8646548416789941264_n.jpg

241772356_548259666442750_4784904759839745173_n.jpg
next page
Original post by Oxford Mum
This is not a medical hospital, but a place where veterans of war are given a tranquil place to retire to.

The gardens were lovely and tranquil. Their device seems to be a bear. There were bears everywhere! Woshette found a lovely big one. Here she is in a Titanic style pose

241761412_291584055639918_8140998008140625614_n.jpg

Love that Woshette is such a little poser! I might retire to that garden too one day, when I retire from TSR
Reply 43
Awesome pictures, Oxford Mum!! Stratford is beautiful (I’ve only been there once but saw a Midsummer Night’s Dream which was amazing)!! Pink Woshette looks like she had a great time 😂
241734602_4661470083887232_2726945661905135625_n.jpg

Shakespeare's father was a glove maker by profession. These are examples of the kind of gloves he made. Some are rough cut gloves for workmen, to protect their hands as they worked. However, others were beautifully embroidered, and lined with fur. They cost a fortune and would show off your status if you were wealthy. The money made by Shakespeare's father from this trade, gave Shakespeare a comfortable childhood and upbringing.

Have you read ‘Hamnet’ by Maggie O’Farrell? It’s a 2020 novel that explores Shakespeare’s home life, both as he was growing up and then later his own children’s upbringing. Shakespeare’s father is portrayed as an awful brute; I wonder how realistic of an interpretation that is. Was there any mention of his character at all on your visit?
Aww thats great :smile: Looks like woshette had an amazing time. Ive been to the falstaffs experience (ghost hunting). Theres a chap who is a lookie likey of henry the VIII and he does tours in the day.
Original post by 𝓖𝓱𝓸𝓼𝓽𝓵𝓪𝓭𝔂
Aww thats great :smile: Looks like woshette had an amazing time. Ive been to the falstaffs experience (ghost hunting). Theres a chap who is a lookie likey of henry the VIII and he does tours in the day.

I would like to meet him - Henry V111 is my celebrity crush :blushing:
Looks fantastic, and looks like you all had a fantastic day! And at the end of the day, I don’t blame Pink Woshette - who isn’t a little bit scared of Lady Macbeth?? Will be returning to Oxford soon and will try to share some of the snaps from our visit!
Original post by jane_wEYREwolf
Have you read ‘Hamnet’ by Maggie O’Farrell? It’s a 2020 novel that explores Shakespeare’s home life, both as he was growing up and then later his own children’s upbringing. Shakespeare’s father is portrayed as an awful brute; I wonder how realistic of an interpretation that is. Was there any mention of his character at all on your visit?

The book sounds marvellous, will look into it!

I didn’t learn anything about Shakespeare’s actual character, more about the facts. Shakespeare’s father rose to become the bailiff, or mayor of Stratford when Shakespeare was quite young. Maybe all that power went to his head, who knows? If I read the book, I will doubtless get more answers. Time to look at it on Amazon!

I have now read a sample of the book on Amazon. Of course, this is fiction, so the characters may be part of the author's vision of how they could be. I love the fact that Shakespeare himself is a lovely, albeit often absent in London, figure.

Looking at the details of Hamnet's school days, this is exactly as the teacher described it in the museum. Hamnet seems to be intelligent, but a bit dreamy and easily distracted by his imagination. Who knows, had he lived beyond 11, he could have been Shakespeare mark II!

Anyway, I have ordered the book, so thanks for the recommendation.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by harrysbar
I would like to meet him - Henry V111 is my celebrity crush :blushing:

Crikey, you would not want to be one of his wives - plus he stank so much in his latter years, you could smell him three rooms away, apparently.
Original post by azby1098
Looks fantastic, and looks like you all had a fantastic day! And at the end of the day, I don’t blame Pink Woshette - who isn’t a little bit scared of Lady Macbeth?? Will be returning to Oxford soon and will try to share some of the snaps from our visit!

That would be great, Azby!
Original post by Culver
Awesome pictures, Oxford Mum!! Stratford is beautiful (I’ve only been there once but saw a Midsummer Night’s Dream which was amazing)!! Pink Woshette looks like she had a great time 😂

She absolutely loved it, thanks! Next visit we hope to be Edinburgh (or Barcelona, depending on how travel opens up), for my birthday in May.

Will do another thread then.
Reply 52
She absolutely loved it, thanks! Next visit we hope to be Edinburgh (or Barcelona, depending on how travel opens up), for my birthday in May.

Omg I hope you get to Barcelona that would be fantastic

Wow Barcelona!!
Wow Barcelona!!

So it’s a no for Edinburgh then, lol
So it’s a no for Edinburgh then, lol

Haha sorry - Edinburgh sounds fantastic too, i’m just a lover of everything Spain!
Haha sorry - Edinburgh sounds fantastic too, i’m just a lover of everything Spain!

Pink woshette is open to persuasion
At the age of 18, Shakespeare got himself a girlfriend, called Anne Hathaway. She was 26 years old, so he would definitely qualify as a toy boy!

Here is a photo of Woshette and her own boyfriend, Woshii, outside Anne Hathaway's cottage

241761783_444982463462499_3611049240699786685_n.jpg

Shakespeare must have liked her a lot, as he would have had to walk several miles to see her at the cottage. Before their marriage, the cottage had only 3 rooms (the ones underneath the lower gable). When Shakespeare became rich and famous, it was extended quite a bit.

Whilst he was courting her, she became pregnant (sounds like a TSR thread- 18 and my 26 year-old girlfriend is pregnant - what do I do now?)

In those days, there was only one thing to do. They got married using a special religious dispensation, so they could get married before the baby was born. At first, they went back to Shakespeare's parents' house to live.

The resulting daughter, Susanna, ended up marrying a Cambridge educated doctor called Dr Hall. They lived in Stratford, quite close to the church where Shakespeare is buried. Dr Hall was a celebrity in his own right at the time. He had a good reputation and even treated the local gentry. He had all kinds of novel cures, which were made into a book (can be purchased at Shakespeare book shop). You used to be able to go round the house, but unfortunately it is temporarily closed to the public, and looks pretty empty.

https://www.shakespeare.org.uk/explore-shakespeare/shakespedia/halls-croft/about-halls-croft/

Looks beautiful OM!Hope you had a great time.
Crikey, you would not want to be one of his wives - plus he stank so much in his latter years, you could smell him three rooms away, apparently.

No one's perfect OM and he was a fine looking man in his youth
Original post by harrysbar
No one's perfect OM and he was a fine looking man in his youth

Quite right harrys and I would fight you for him.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending