yutaiscuter
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I just started Year 13 and need to decide on a French irp question hopefully by the end of this week. I was originally going to do it on French desserts but was told it was too narrow, then decided to change to French cuisine in general and was told it was too broad...

Now I've scrapped both of those ideas and have no clue what topic to do next.

I'm interested in language, food, music, fashion etc. so more cultural topics than historical or political aspects

Please give me some ideas
kittys272
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
this booklet i found online was really helpful, i think there is an example question specifically on food !
https://www.dsfc.org.uk/wp-content/u...ooklet-PDF.pdf
Anna Schoon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by yutaiscuter)
So I just started Year 13 and need to decide on a French irp question hopefully by the end of this week. I was originally going to do it on French desserts but was told it was too narrow, then decided to change to French cuisine in general and was told it was too broad...

Now I've scrapped both of those ideas and have no clue what topic to do next.

I'm interested in language, food, music, fashion etc. so more cultural topics than historical or political aspects

Please give me some ideas
A good IRP title will lead to the discussion of something that might be controversial; or you might wish to tackle a well-worn topic from a new angle.

For example: for food:

- influence of colonialism on French cuisine (couscous comes to mind, but there are plenty of other dishes that originate from Africa or from Indochina).
- how the French are coping with the obesity epidemic (advertising, taxes, education...) and if it works - and why (or why not).
- a very recent development: the rise of environmentally sustainable restaurants

For fashion:

- The development of sustainable fashion in France in recent years.
- The rise of second-hand clothes shops in France (this is actually a recent phenomenon here, contrary to the UK)
- More controversial: is the hegemony of the 14 Haute Couture labels holding back creativity in fashion? Or does it encourage creativity?

For music:

- Examine the reasons for the success - also with young audiences - of popular singers aged over 60 (and there are plenty!)
- The influence of African music in France.

If you'll forgive the pun, I hope this gives you food for thought!
Last edited by Anna Schoon; 1 month ago
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Some ideas
Fashion in France
Clothing industry in France
Influence of foreign music in France
Food served in France
Variations in French from area to area
Culture in France etc
yutaiscuter
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Anna Schoon)
A good IRP title will lead to the discussion of something that might be controversial; or you might wish to tackle a well-worn topic from a new angle.

- influence of colonialism on French cuisine (couscous comes to mind, but there are plenty of other dishes that originate from Africa or from Indochina).
- how the French are coping with the obesity epidemic (advertising, taxes, education...) and if it works - and why (or why not).
- a very recent development: the rise of environmentally sustainable restaurants

For fashion:

- The rise of second-hand clothes shops in France (this is actually a recent phenomenon here, contrary to the UK)
- More controversial: is the hegemony of the 14 Haute Couture labels holding back creativity in fashion? Or does it encourage creativity?

For music:

- Examine the reasons for the success - also with young audiences - of popular singers aged over 60 (and there are plenty!)

Thank you, I decided to change my IRP topic completely so I'll be doing The Franco - Russian war and its influences on Eastern Europe. I never thought I'd end up doing history but this aspect interests me
isabellx20046
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anna Schoon)

For fashion:

For music:

This was really helpful for me, I'm currently doing research for my IRP and stressing out about Titles. Thanks so much
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (227)
56.75%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (51)
12.75%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (45)
11.25%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (36)
9%
I haven't started researching yet (23)
5.75%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
4.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise