I’m a second year NatSci (physics) at Cambridge. Ask me anything

Watch
Sophhhowa
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Term is almost upon us so I wanted to offer to answer any questions any freshers (or anyone) may have.
Theloniouss
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
How much time do you spend studying?
Sophhhowa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Theloniouss)
How much time do you spend studying?
6-8hrs per day during term time
_kvymnnn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Did you apply for natural sciences for all your choices?
Did you ever consider doing straight physics? If so, what swayed you towards natsci?
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by _kvymnnn)
Did you ever consider doing straight physics? If so, what swayed you towards natsci?
To be fair after first year natsci physics at Cambridge is "straight" physics usually. It's only in first year (Part IA) they necessarily have to take non-physics (/maths) options (and I think a reasonable chunk of the IA materials option would occur in first or second year of other physics courses).
Sophhhowa
Rep:
?
(Original post by _kvymnnn)
I applied for physics or theoretical physics at other unis. Only Cambridge was NatSci. I chose NatSci because I got my physics degree + extra maths and in first yr I got to do chemistry and materials too so now I know I definitely want to do physics
CartoonSoldier
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
can u rate cambridge's night life out of 10?
Sophhhowa
Rep:
?
(Original post by CartoonSoldier)
can u rate cambridge's night life out of 10?
Kinda skewed by COVID. Ur certainly not going to Cambridge for the night life but there is stuff available if that’s your thing
summerbirdreads
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
what were your gcse's and a-levels?
macrophage
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Sophhhowa)
Term is almost upon us so I wanted to offer to answer any questions any freshers (or anyone) may have.
What are supervisions like? Is there a sense of competition between the natscis?
Sophhhowa
Rep:
?
(Original post by summerbirdreads)
what were your gcse's and a-levels?
GCSEs 3 9s, 7 A*s
A levels A*A*A*A* in maths, further maths, physics and chemistry
I was surprised at how many people didn’t have perfect grades tho
Sophhhowa
Rep:
?
(Original post by macrophage)
What are supervisions like? Is there a sense of competition between the natscis?
Some people get competitive but most don’t. Some colleges are known to be more competitive though.

Most supos consist of going through the question sheet that was set and asking about areas you were unsure about then if there’s time you’ll often do an extension question or two during the supo.

Different supervisors have different styles. Some have a very fixed schedule e.g I had one that would spend the first half of the supo recapping the lecture content and then the second half going over questions. Meanwhile another supervisor would just ask us if we had any Qs and then I might say oh how should I have done Q11? And then we’d go through it and repeat until we had no questions left and then often we’d have time for an exam Q or something at the end.
Pisorna
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What college are you at?
Sophhhowa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pisorna)
What college are you at?
Robinson
user342
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
As you go through the course, is there the opportunity to select more applied/theoretical modules?
Pisorna
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
How do you find studying and living there? My daughter is applying for Natural Science and she is still confused about choosing a college. We didn't have any opportunity to visit, lots of webinars and live Q&A sessions though...
Sophhhowa
Rep:
?
How do you find studying and living there? My daughter is applying for Natural Science and she is still confused about choosing a college. We didn't have any opportunity to visit, lots of webinars and live Q&A sessions though...
Its an amazing place to live. Its absolutely lovely. Its crazy and busy but its brilliant.
malveen
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hello, I'm an international applicant applying to cambridge engineering this year. Is there a college that is slightly
Pisorna
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Sophhhowa)
Its an amazing place to live. Its absolutely lovely. Its crazy and busy but its brilliant.
Thank you for your message and reassurances. I am new to the TSR so I can't reply privately. You are very kind to offer advice, we studied in another country and the UK system is new to us. We are trying to help our daughter in her choices and she is doing all she can to get a place in a good uni (she is including a couple of back-ups of course). At this point I think if the Cambridge Admission office decides that she can do well and gives her an offer, I am sure she will be happy in whatever college she will end up. At present she is considering Corpus Christi. Do you know anybody doing NatSci in CC?
Sophhhowa
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Thank you for your message and reassurances. I am new to the TSR so I can't reply privately. You are very kind to offer advice, we studied in another country and the UK system is new to us. We are trying to help our daughter in her choices and she is doing all she can to get a place in a good uni (she is including a couple of back-ups of course). At this point I think if the Cambridge Admission office decides that she can do well and gives her an offer, I am sure she will be happy in whatever college she will end up. At present she is considering Corpus Christi. Do you know anybody doing NatSci in CC?
No worries. I know people at corpus but not sure that I know anyone doing NatSci there. There’s only around 10 Natsci’s per year at corpus as it’s a very small college. It is however, a lovely college but I felt it was too small for me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (51)
13.93%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (94)
25.68%
I'm a bit unsure (63)
17.21%
I'm finding things difficult (127)
34.7%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (31)
8.47%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed