mell.cathh
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am a current year 13 student and i want to apply to Cambridge to study Human, Social and Political science. However, my GCSES were badly affected (i was the 2020 student) so i am afraid it will affect my application. I am choosing a humanities subject because i got strong GCSES in humanities and i enjoy learning about society hence why i want to study HSPS . I now currently study 3 A levels specifically English Literature, Religious Studies and Sociology. My teachers have not given us our predicated grades but hopefully 3A's.

MY GCSES RESULTS (I know my GCSES are very bad)
English Language - 7 (A)
Religious Studies - 9 (A**)
IT BTEC - Distinction* (A*)
Health and Social Care BTEC - Distinction (A)
English Literature - 6 (B)
Physics - 6 (B)
Chemistry - 5 (high C)
Art - 5 (high C)
Biology - 4 (C)
Maths - 4 (C)

Do you think i have the potential to apply. Also, any cambridge students please give me some advice if your GCSES were not the best.
Last edited by mell.cathh; 1 month ago
Theloniouss
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If your predicted grades are lower than the standard offer, that will lower your chances quite significantly. Your GCSEs aren't awful and they're OK in most relevant subjects.

Your application would need to be pretty strong in other areas to get an interview.
anaturner
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by mell.cathh)
I am a current year 13 student and i want to apply to Cambridge to study Human, Social and Political science. However, my GCSES were badly affected (i was the 2020 student) so i am afraid it will affect my application. I am choosing a humanities subject because i got strong GCSES in humanities and i enjoy learning about society hence why i want to study HSPS . I now currently study 3 A levels specifically English Literature, Religious Studies and Sociology. My teachers have not given us our predicated grades but hopefully 3A's.

MY GCSES RESULTS (I know my GCSES are very bad)
English Language - 7 (A)
Religious Studies - 9 (A**)
IT BTEC - Distinction* (A*)
Health and Social Care BTEC - Distinction (A)
English Literature - 6 (B)
Physics - 6 (B)
Chemistry - 5 (high C)
Art - 5 (high C)
Biology - 4 (C)
Maths - 4 (C)

Do you think i have the potential to apply. Also, any cambridge students please give me some advice if your GCSES were not the best.
The grade requirements for HSPS are A*AA, if you can get predicted those grades (or higher) and have a strong personal statement then it's definitely worth applying. But if your predictions are AAA then you will be at a large disadvantage (Cambridge won't typically take you to interview if your grades are lower than the standard offer grade..)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (62)
56.36%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (12)
10.91%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (16)
14.55%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (7)
6.36%
I haven't started researching yet (7)
6.36%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (6)
5.45%

Watched Threads