The Student Room Group

URGENT PLEASEEE- does uni ranking matter when applying to postgraduate medicine?

I am struggling to decide whether to pick a lower ranked uni that has guaranteed interview to post grad medicine OR a higher ranked uni that after just a degree and no post graduate whatsoever.

When applying to other post grad unis with biomedical sciences, will it matter (even slightly) which uni the degree was from??

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It won't matter a bean. Not a jot. What matters is your portfolio: UCAT/BMAT; WEX; statement; grades... where you studied won't even feature.
Reply 2
Original post by rscoconut
I am struggling to decide whether to pick a lower ranked uni that has guaranteed interview to post grad medicine OR a higher ranked uni that after just a degree and no post graduate whatsoever.

When applying to other post grad unis with biomedical sciences, will it matter (even slightly) which uni the degree was from??

Have you already started your bioscience degree?
Reply 3
Original post by asclepeion
Have you already started your bioscience degree?

No I haven’t I’m about to, but holding another offer through clearing and deciding whether or not to switch??
Reply 4
Original post by siarc
It won't matter a bean. Not a jot. What matters is your portfolio: UCAT/BMAT; WEX; statement; grades... where you studied won't even feature.

Thank you so much, that’s given me a some clarification🙌🏼
Reply 5
No I haven’t I’m about to, but holding another offer through clearing and deciding whether or not to switch??

If you haven't started the degree yet, please reject it if you really want to do medicine. This is because GEM is much more expensive, takes long and is much more competitive and quite frankly if you couldn't make it to undergrad medicine, your chances of getting into GEM are very low. This is because you'll be going up against people who have multiple PhDs and years of healthcare experience.

Take a gap year, resit anything you need to and apply again to undergrad medicine as this is the easiest and cheapest way of becoming a doctor.
Reply 6
If you haven't started the degree yet, please reject it if you really want to do medicine. This is because GEM is much more expensive, takes long and is much more competitive and quite frankly if you couldn't make it to undergrad medicine, your chances of getting into GEM are very low. This is because you'll be going up against people who have multiple PhDs and years of healthcare experience.

Take a gap year, resit anything you need to and apply again to undergrad medicine as this is the easiest and cheapest way of becoming a doctor.
Reply 7
Original post by SyedN

I’ve already taken a lot of years out tho..
Reply 8

Trust me it will be a lot easier to take a year out and reapply for med then to do a degree and try for GEM.
Reply 9
Original post by SyedN

I’ve already taken a lot of years out, unis generally don’t accept resits for alevels
I’ve already taken a lot of years out, unis generally don’t accept resits for alevels

Unless you are applying for a very competitive course, (or have AL’s completed over more than two sittings), the opposite is generally true. For Biomed, I doubt it would be an issue for most uni’s.

Agree with the above guidance, aiming to get into a GEM programme before you’ve even started your undergrad course is potentially very risky, and will be expensive even if you are successful.
Reply 11
Original post by Admit-One
Unless you are applying for a very competitive course, (or have AL’s completed over more than two sittings), the opposite is generally true. For Biomed, I doubt it would be an issue for most uni’s.

Agree with the above guidance, aiming to get into a GEM programme before you’ve even started your undergrad course is potentially very risky, and will be expensive even if you are successful.

Okay say I do take the year out and apply, where will I get my references from if I can’t get them from my teachers anymore? Because I know references in medicine tend to play a big factor.

Have you? What did you get in your A levels and how long ago did you take them?
Reply 13
Original post by SyedN

While I agree that GEM entry is very challenging, giving this advice on 14 Sept is essentially telling them to take 2 years out. Better advice may be to consider alternatives to med school after they graduate and factor that into their current decision.

OP - for future reference GEM entry is not post graduate, it's a second undergraduate degree. Postgraduate medicine is something else.
Reply 14
Okay say I do take the year out and apply, where will I get my references from if I can’t get them from my teachers anymore? Because I know references in medicine tend to play a big factor.

You can still get your references from your teachers and it’s not as big a factor as you think. Your most important are grades, entrance exams and interview performance scores. A reference is more of a formality because most candidates applying to medicine should have good references

If you insist on doing a degree first and then applying, work with the assumption that you won’t get into graduate entry medicine because that is how competitive it is.
(edited 2 years ago)

Schools/colleges will keep an academic reference on file for you. So they will just provide the same one again unless you ask them to include any updates.
Reply 16
Original post by harrysbar
Have you? What did you get in your A levels and how long ago did you take them?

I got ABC, did only one sitting but started college 2 years later than everyone else in my class
Reply 17
Yh I understand where everyone is coming from, I was thinking of taking another year out initially. But hesitated because I’d be way behind everyone else in terms of starting uni.

If I don’t get in this year because of the tight deadline, should I take another year out and apply again? Or just go into gem at that point? As in there any limit to how long you can remain an undergraduate and reapply?
Reply 18
Original post by asclepeion
You can still get your references from your teachers and it’s not as big a factor as you think. Your most important are grades, entrance exams and interview performance scores. A reference is more of a formality because most candidates applying to medicine should have good references

If you insist on doing a degree first and then applying, work with the assumption that you won’t get into graduate entry medicine because that is how competitive it is.

It's reassuring to hear that about the references thanks, but in terms of the degree as long as you have the minimum entry requirements could you not keep reapplying until your experience/ portfolio is strong enough?
Reply 19
Original post by 2500_2
While I agree that GEM entry is very challenging, giving this advice on 14 Sept is essentially telling them to take 2 years out. Better advice may be to consider alternatives to med school after they graduate and factor that into their current decision.

OP - for future reference GEM entry is not post graduate, it's a second undergraduate degree. Postgraduate medicine is something else.

First time I heard this, What's the difference?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending