sumayaaa
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
i feel like when i have an exam and i’m revising a few days before, none of the information (that i read off my previously written notes) that I’ve forgotten goes into my head. I need to like re write it in the spot there and then for me to re understand it again. But then that’s a waste of time since I can’t keep writing new notes all the time .

Any solutions?
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 8 months ago
try making notes
CaptainDuckie
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
Lol this is the problem with passive revision. Honestly, it’s scientifically proven that you only remember like I think 19% of what you write, so there’s no point to make notes.

What you need to do is test yourself actively after understanding something. You can flick through your revision guides and make notes all you like, but this isn’t helpful because a) you won’t have notes in your exam and b) you only remember 19% of what you write.

Try and develop your techniques by using more accurate revision methods such as flashcards and past papers. The former allows you to test yourself, and the latter allows you to test yourself and apply what you know.

Watch this video, he summarises it nicely.
Last edited by CaptainDuckie; 8 months ago
sumayaaa
Rep:
(Original post by CaptainDuckie)
Lol this is the problem with passive revision. Honestly, it’s scientifically proven that you only remember like I think 19% of what you write, so there’s no point to make notes.

What you need to do is test yourself actively after understanding something. You can flick through your revision guides and make notes all you like, but this isn’t helpful because a) you won’t have notes in your exam and b) you only remember 19% of what you write.

Try and develop your techniques by using more accurate revision methods such as flashcards and past papers. The former allows you to test yourself, and the latter allows you to test yourself and apply what you know.

Watch this video, he summarises it nicely.
Ah i see, thanks. Yeah i’ve watched that video before, idk why i havent used it yet. Thanks again
CaptainDuckie
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by sumayaaa)
Ah i see, thanks. Yeah i’ve watched that video before, idk why i havent used it yet. Thanks again

That’s because you don’t trust the method.

When I was at GCSE, honestly I did not see flashcards as effective at all. To be quite frank, I looked down at those who used them because I thought being able to regurgitate information was like some IQ thing. It really isn’t. It’s just knowing the techniques. I used it in year 11 though (luckily) and my grades literally improved massively, and for A level I got A*A*A - I did not make one single note for biology, chemistry or maths. Only in lessons I did just so I kept engaged.

I cannot stress the importance of this method enough, you need to use it. It’s not up for like debating. It’s a must because it’s literally something that’s been backed up by evidence.
sumayaaa
Rep:
That’s because you don’t trust the method.

When I was at GCSE, honestly I did not see flashcards as effective at all. To be quite frank, I looked down at those who used them because I thought being able to regurgitate information was like some IQ thing. It really isn’t. It’s just knowing the techniques. I used it in year 11 though (luckily) and my grades literally improved massively, and for A level I got A*A*A - I did not make one single note for biology, chemistry or maths. Only in lessons I did just so I kept engaged.

I cannot stress the importance of this method enough, you need to use it. It’s not up for like debating. It’s a must because it’s literally something that’s been backed up by evidence.
i used to make flash cards but it took ageeees since i didn’t make them with one question on one side then the answer on the other. I might just start to make flash cards with questions related to the content i’ve already got in my notes and use spaced repetition
CaptainDuckie
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
i used to make flash cards but it took ageeees since i didn’t make them with one question on one side then the answer on the other. I might just start to make flash cards with questions related to the content i’ve already got in my notes and use spaced repetition

The reason it’s taking “ages” is because you learn differently. I’m exactly like you, I found it time consuming, nonsensical and pointless.

So I got a digital version of flashcards. Light bulb moment...

Anki and Quizlet are beautiful to test yourself with. Don’t just push these under the carpet, don’t.

- make flashcards which are directly related to the specification

If there was a point saying: ”students should be able to describe stages of mitosis”

Write on quizlet or on Anki, “what are the stages of mitosis” - on the back, literally list these off from the information provided from the text book/videos.

There’s no way the examiners can test you on anything that’s not on the specification. Absolutely no way.
sumayaaa
Rep:
The reason it’s taking “ages” is because you learn differently. I’m exactly like you, I found it time consuming, nonsensical and pointless.

So I got a digital version of flashcards. Light bulb moment...

Anki and Quizlet are beautiful to test yourself with. Don’t just push these under the carpet, don’t.

- make flashcards which are directly related to the specification

If there was a point saying: ”students should be able to describe stages of mitosis”

Write on quizlet or on Anki, “what are the stages of mitosis” - on the back, literally list these off from the information provided from the text book/videos.

There’s no way the examiners can test you on anything that’s not on the specification. Absolutely no way.
ah yeah i started doing anki and quizlet flashcards but then seeing them accumulate and having to do like so many a day put me off😭I also like physically writing everything out, helps me understand much more. Perhaps with content I’m very unsure with I’ll write it out but with what I know i’ll plug them onto anki/quiz let.

Which do you think is better, anki or quizlet? I know so many people love anki but phew £20 for an app no thanks. I’ve got it on my laptop but it’s so UGLY it puts me off (that’s a bad reason but 🤷*♀️). Does Quizlet even have the option of automatically doing your spaced repetition (like anki) or do i have to pay for premium?
CaptainDuckie
Rep:
Report 8 months ago
ah yeah i started doing anki and quizlet flashcards but then seeing them accumulate and having to do like so many a day put me off😭I also like physically writing everything out, helps me understand much more. Perhaps with content I’m very unsure with I’ll write it out but with what I know i’ll plug them onto anki/quiz let.

Which do you think is better, anki or quizlet? I know so many people love anki but phew £20 for an app no thanks. I’ve got it on my laptop but it’s so UGLY it puts me off (that’s a bad reason but 🤷*♀️). Does Quizlet even have the option of automatically doing your spaced repetition (like anki) or do i have to pay for premium?

That’s the thing but honestly this way is much much better than looking a all those big pages or even not knowing where to start when it comes to revising. All the topics are all laid out for you nicely and you know exactly what you need to retrieve.

It’s something about Active Recall. I just can’t explain it. You feel untouchable almost, being able to just say out all the information from pure memory makes me speechless. It’s absolutely phenomenal. It really makes me want to learn anything and everything because I have Anki.

I personally used Anki but sometimes I used quizlet. I think you might be suited with an add-on. I was like you exactly lmao. But I got the dark mode add on, if you want I can walk you through it? It’s basically just an add on that makes the app dark on your laptop, and it’s much more clean. You could add a background of your choice too with another add-on, to make it more aesthetically pleasing. Also there’s an add on which allows you to see exactly how much progress you’ve made, it’s so engaging.
I think quizlet doesn’t have spaced repetition, I haven’t really used it that much but if so then it’s probably premium.
sumayaaa
Rep:
That’s the thing but honestly this way is much much better than looking a all those big pages or even not knowing where to start when it comes to revising. All the topics are all laid out for you nicely and you know exactly what you need to retrieve.

It’s something about Active Recall. I just can’t explain it. You feel untouchable almost, being able to just say out all the information from pure memory makes me speechless. It’s absolutely phenomenal. It really makes me want to learn anything and everything because I have Anki.

I personally used Anki but sometimes I used quizlet. I think you might be suited with an add-on. I was like you exactly lmao. But I got the dark mode add on, if you want I can walk you through it? It’s basically just an add on that makes the app dark on your laptop, and it’s much more clean. You could add a background of your choice too with another add-on, to make it more aesthetically pleasing. Also there’s an add on which allows you to see exactly how much progress you’ve made, it’s so engaging.
I think quizlet doesn’t have spaced repetition, I haven’t really used it that much but if so then it’s probably premium.
i defo agree with the knowledge part lool. When i understand something it’s makes me feel SO SMART and it’s such a good feeling. Only issue is that getting started is long and things like procrastination exist😭

omg yes dark mode is the only way i can use my laptop. I’m defo gonna try set up anki nicely, maybe just MAYBE i’ll buy the app since technnically it’s an investment for my future sooo. I like the quiz features on quiz let but i can literally still export my anki notes into quiz let so it’s not big deal

thank you for the help, i reaaaallly appreciate it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (62)
15.86%
The paper was reasonable (191)
48.85%
Not feeling great about that exam... (99)
25.32%
It was TERRIBLE (39)
9.97%

Watched Threads