Teaching Assistant wanting to become teacher...

Watch this thread
egreen99
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
I am currently a teaching assistant but eventually want to move into teaching. I am thinking about doing my Level 3 diploma but will this help me to eventually go onto teaching? I didn't get enough UCAS points for uni so can't apply straight for a teaching uni course. Can anyone help with any advice on what would be best?
Ash1234
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 10 months ago
I am not answering your question but I feel it would better to redirect you to the below website
The live chat and this website will be really helpful for the queries you have: https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/ways-to-train

Before committing to any course this year I suggest you go onto looking at University websites and see what their requirements are for 2022/2023. So pick 4 (however many you can choose on UCAS) as they set the requirements and go directly on the course page. Contact them to see what adjustments with the requirements they can make. If it's an alternative SCITT training provider you are applying through then check their requirements too.
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by egreen99)
I am currently a teaching assistant but eventually want to move into teaching. I am thinking about doing my Level 3 diploma but will this help me to eventually go onto teaching? I didn't get enough UCAS points for uni so can't apply straight for a teaching uni course. Can anyone help with any advice on what would be best?
Hello egreen99

It already sounds like you have a fantastic plan. This level 3 qualification will really aid the UCAS tariff points you accumulate & will aid your application!

The fact that you have everyday experience of education also means that you are an ideal student for enrolment onto this type of course.

The plan you have sounds great.

Hopefully this is reassuring - I wish you the best of luck & good luck in your future applications!

Liverpool Hope offers a range of PGCE courses, which can be accessed here, if these were of any interest to you.

Have a great weekend - Dylan
Lydia Taylor (YSJU Student Ambassador)
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
Hello,

I am a Primary Education (3-7) student who was inspired to take the course after being a teaching assistant in my gap year! I wanted to wish you well and assure you that it is a great move. It is definitely hard work but so rewarding.

This is a great plan. I would just advise that if you're only doing one Level 3 qualification, check how many UCAS points it carries. It will depend on the grade you get but you can pop your predicted in: https://www.ucas.com/ucas/tariff-calculator. If you go via the route of a Primary Education degree, they can have high entry requirements in terms of UCAS points.

You may also wish to look into Access to Higher Education courses. They only take a year and can be completed at most colleges. They can carry a lot of points and you could choose to do one in childcare or education. I think they can be free in some cases so it is definitely worth getting in touch with your local college if you are interested.

Check out our Primary Education degrees here: https://www.yorksj.ac.uk/courses/und...-5-11-ba-hons/ and here: https://www.yorksj.ac.uk/courses/und...n-3-7-ba-hons/.
I couldn't choose a better setting and university to become a teacher!

Good luck and feel free to keep us updated!
Lydia
Last edited by Lydia Taylor (YSJU Student Ambassador); 10 months ago
Get into Teaching
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 10 months ago
Hi egreen99,
as mentioned by previous people, you might find it beneficial to geat a teaching adviser from Get into Teaching. It is a free service and your adviser ( they are all experienced teachers), will help you navigate all your options. To register for this free service- click here.
To apply for teacher training, the minimum requirements are:
- A degree ( preferably a 2.2 degree or above). You do not have to have finished your degree to apply, but you will need to have completed it by the beginning of the course.
- The following GCSEs:
English GCSE grade 4 (C) or above
Maths GCSE grade 4 (C) or above
Science GCSE grade 4 (C) or above if you want to teach in primary education
If you do not have the required GCSEs, you’ll need to show that you have an equivalent level of education.

Finally, teacher training applications for England will not be using UCAS from October 2022 when the cycle of application opens for September 2022.
I hope this helps.

Laure
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (33)
32.67%