The Student Room Group

Part way through a diagnosis when applying

I’m likely autistic, but I don’t have a diagnosis yet. We are trying to get one (first went to the doctor about it in May 2020) but I’m 99% sure I won’t have it by the time uni applications are due, and of course there’s always the chance of us being wrong and me not being autistic at all - though I doubt it. So what do I put in response to the question about disabilities? I don’t really want to say I’m autistic when it isn’t certain and I don’t have an official diagnosis, but it’d be nice to know the support’s there.
If it’s a tick box one can’t you just tick other and then explain you are waiting on a diagnosis in the box beneath.
Or if it’s just a box, explain you are waiting on a diagnosis?
You can’t declare that you have a disability until you are diagnosed. You could have your ref mention in passing that it’s a possibility and that you are seeking a diagnosis currently.

If a condition is confirmed, you can always contact the uni directly and engage with their disability/wellbeing services.
Your referee should metion your likelhood of a disgnosis in their referrence, especially if a late diagnosis has had an impact on your studies.

Ticking the disability box is about 'data gathering' by UCAS and central government. You do no ned to be concernd about it. It isnt going to get you a different offer decision either way. Leave it blank.

If you do get a diagnosos then its worth sending a copy ofd any relevant report to the Disability Offive at the Uni your choose as your Firm choice so that they are aware that you will need extra support.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending