Bibiljl
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I'd love a career working with animals, preferably in a zoo/wildlife conservation arena.. but because lm not academic l wasn't able to do sciences at GCSE.. I have A's and B's in Art, History,English.. What career path could l follow
educatorfrater
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
If you're keen on zoo or wildlife work the best start you can get is through volunteering. If you contact your local zoo or wildlife park, which I appreciate is a little trickier now than usual in light of Covid-19 steps, and express an interest in work experience that's the best starting point. You've posted in the Veterinary Medicine forum so just to cover all bases here, if you're interested in veterinary work specificially there may be roles you can get involved as laystaff at some practices. For example as a VCA or, again, through searching out volunteering ipportunities to give your time to train up on cleaning and feeding for the animals in care. There are apprenticeships, few and far between, in the animal sector UK GOV Link here that you could also look into.

I taught Animal Care and Management for several years and as well as the lessons and practical sessions with animals we required 150 hours of voluntary experience in the sector (Eg zoo, petshop, wildlife park etc) as it's just so important to gain this practical experience. You can also study short courses and qualifications which you can use to help support your enthusiasm and give you a starting point academically online through distance learning. I teach one in Animal Diversity at the moment which is an interesting and scientific basis to the animal kingdom (here if you're interested) - and there are several other short courses you can find online with a quick search. Just make sure any courses are accredited if you're wanting to use them as academic experience to help in your job search.

Working in the animal sector is not an easy job, or the highest paid, but I have to say, it is really enjoyable doing something you love.
xanthuros45
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I agree with the above comment, I’ve volunteered for two years now alongside my university degree. If you love animals so much, I would recommend doing a university degree. Do not let the fact that you’re not academic put you off. I went in with no prior knowledge of animals in an academic perspective, and I’ve just finished my Foundation Degree with a Distinction. If you love it, you will put the time and effort in, and it will be easier than you may think! If you’re able to do a degree, and get the volunteer/work experience to go alongside, you will definitely be able to do a career with animals.

For reference, I have a Distinction* in BTEC IT at A Level, A Level psychology (D), Communication and Culture (C), and EPQ (D). As you have B’s and A’s, I think you can get accepted at a good few universities.

You can private message me if you like with any questions you may have about pursuing a degree
Bibiljl
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by educatorfrater)
If you're keen on zoo or wildlife work the best start you can get is through volunteering. If you contact your local zoo or wildlife park, which I appreciate is a little trickier now than usual in light of Covid-19 steps, and express an interest in work experience that's the best starting point. You've posted in the Veterinary Medicine forum so just to cover all bases here, if you're interested in veterinary work specificially there may be roles you can get involved as laystaff at some practices. For example as a VCA or, again, through searching out volunteering ipportunities to give your time to train up on cleaning and feeding for the animals in care. There are apprenticeships, few and far between, in the animal sector UK GOV Link here that you could also look into.

I taught Animal Care and Management for several years and as well as the lessons and practical sessions with animals we required 150 hours of voluntary experience in the sector (Eg zoo, petshop, wildlife park etc) as it's just so important to gain this practical experience. You can also study short courses and qualifications which you can use to help support your enthusiasm and give you a starting point academically online through distance learning. I teach one in Animal Diversity at the moment which is an interesting and scientific basis to the animal kingdom (here if you're interested) - and there are several other short courses you can find online with a quick search. Just make sure any courses are accredited if you're wanting to use them as academic experience to help in your job search.

Working in the animal sector is not an easy job, or the highest paid, but I have to say, it is really enjoyable doing something you love.
Thank you so much, your contribution is most helpful and much appreciated.
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Volunteering is recommended. Contact all local catteries, vets, pet shops, and riding stables in order to find out more. Call or email your local zoo too. Also try nature reserves.
Bibiljl
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by tinygirl96)
Volunteering is recommended. Contact all local catteries, vets, pet shops, and riding sables in order to find out more. Call or email your local zoo too. Also try nature reserves.
(Original post by xanthuros45)
I agree with the above comment, I’ve volunteered for two years now alongside my university degree. If you love animals so much, I would recommend doing a university degree. Do not let the fact that you’re not academic put you off. I went in with no prior knowledge of animals in an academic perspective, and I’ve just finished my Foundation Degree with a Distinction. If you love it, you will put the time and effort in, and it will be easier than you may think! If you’re able to do a degree, and get the volunteer/work experience to go alongside, you will definitely be able to do a career with animals.

For reference, I have a Distinction* in BTEC IT at A Level, A Level psychology (D), Communication and Culture (C), and EPQ (D). As you have B’s and A’s, I think you can get accepted at a good few universities.

You can private message me if you like with any questions you may have about pursuing a degree
Thank you so much for your encouraging post, l will pm you if l need more information
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (10)
47.62%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (3)
14.29%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (3)
14.29%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (1)
4.76%
I haven't started researching yet (1)
4.76%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
14.29%

Watched Threads