Organic chemistry - IUPAC naming help!!

Watch
Sb17890
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
Hi , could anyone explain how you get the answer please .

The answer is 2-amino-3-hydroxybutanoic acid but I don’t understand how you get that . I understand it’s butane because there are 4 carbon but I’m unsure about how it’s 2 and 3 . Which way am I suppose to number it

Name:  EFF900BE-11C3-40D7-B4AE-8360476BB0F4.jpg.jpeg
Views: 7
Size:  11.7 KB
charco
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by Sb17890)

The answer is 2-amino-3-hydroxybutanoic acid but I don’t understand how you get that . I understand it’s butane because there are 4 carbon but I’m unsure about how it’s 2 and 3 . Which way am I suppose to number it

Name:  EFF900BE-11C3-40D7-B4AE-8360476BB0F4.jpg.jpeg
Size:  11.7 KB
wrong image
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago

The answer is 2-amino-3-hydroxybutanoic acid but I don’t understand how you get that . I understand it’s butane because there are 4 carbon but I’m unsure about how it’s 2 and 3 . Which way am I supposed to number it?
I assume the question is asking you to state the IUPAC name of threonine and not the whole structure...?

Step 1:
Take out the threonine part of the structure.
Hint: Do not forget to add the hydrogen's on the end after!
Spoiler:
Show
Name:  Q.png
Views: 8
Size:  228.4 KB

Step 2:
Re-draw for the skeletal structure and label using numbers.
Hint: This part is not necessary. You can figure it out from the structure given but I find it a bit harder.

Spoiler:
Show
Name:  T.png
Size:  70.4 KB

Step 3:
Count how many carbons there are and name the acid.

Step 4:
Find out where the functional groups are. Where is NH2 and where is the OH?

Step 5:
Write out the IUPAC name.

Does this help?
Last edited by 5hyl33n; 2 days ago
Sb17890
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
(Original post by 5hyl33n)
I assume the question is asking you to state the IUPAC name of threonine and not the whole structure...?

Step 1:
Take out the threonine part of the structure.
Hint: Do not forget to add the hydrogen's on the end after!
Spoiler:
Show
Name:  Q.png
Views: 8
Size:  228.4 KB

Step 2:
Re-draw for the skeletal structure and label using numbers.
Hint: This part is not necessary. You can figure it out from the structure given but I find it a bit harder.

Spoiler:
Show
Name:  T.png
Size:  70.4 KB

Step 3:
Count how many carbons there are and name the acid.

Step 4:
Find out where the functional groups are. Where is NH2 and where is the OH?

Step 5:
Write out the IUPAC name.

Does this help?
Omg yes ! It just made things so much more understandable and easier . Thank you so much . I have seen you reply to a lot of chemistry questions and you have replied to the questions I ask too . What do you think is the best way to study a level chemistry ? I just started year 12 and I’m struggling a bit :/ any tips and advice would be really helpful .
5hyl33n
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Omg yes ! It just made things so much more understandable and easier . Thank you so much . I have seen you reply to a lot of chemistry questions and you have replied to the questions I ask too . What do you think is the best way to study a level chemistry ? I just started year 12 and I’m struggling a bit :/ any tips and advice would be really helpful .
No problem. :yy:

1. Go over whatever you have done in the lesson as soon as you go home. Write down anything you do not understand and ask your teacher for help as soon as you can.
2. Do as many exam questions as you can. Physics and Maths Tutor is a good website to find these.
3. Start to revise for tests as soon as you find out it is coming up. Do not leave revision too late.
4. Regularly go over past content.

Let me know if you need further specific advice.
Sb17890
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 day ago
(Original post by 5hyl33n)
No problem. :yy:

1. Go over whatever you have done in the lesson as soon as you go home. Write down anything you do not understand and ask your teacher for help as soon as you can.
2. Do as many exam questions as you can. Physics and Maths Tutor is a good website to find these.
3. Start to revise for tests as soon as you find out it is coming up. Do not leave revision too late.
4. Regularly go over past content.

Let me know if you need further specific advice.
Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (357)
84%
No (68)
16%

Watched Threads