What sixth form should i choose?

Watch
cool_cool
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, right now i need to choose which sixth form i want to go to but i am having some trouble choosing between 2 of them. The first school is closer to home and a really good school but doesn’t have all of the subjects i want to do. However, the second school is also really good but i would have to take a 1.5 hour bus every day, however it has all of the subjects i might want to do (like government). Also, if anyone has any recommendations for good a levels for law at uni i would be really grateful
lalexm
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by cool_cool)
Hi, right now i need to choose which sixth form i want to go to but i am having some trouble choosing between 2 of them. The first school is closer to home and a really good school but doesn’t have all of the subjects i want to do. However, the second school is also really good but i would have to take a 1.5 hour bus every day, however it has all of the subjects i might want to do (like government). Also, if anyone has any recommendations for good a levels for law at uni i would be really grateful
I would say go to the local one, as 1.5 hours commute is too much and would not only be a drag for you, but would be tiring and would probably negatively impact your education. You don't need any specific subject for Law, so don't worry about that, but you need top grades to get into the more competitive courses. It would help doing a couple of essay based A-level, but even that is not mandatory and some get in with all STEM.
Pbxxx
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
you should do the subjects you enjoy then you'll probably get better grades but if you don't think you want to do the 1.5 hours on the bus you shouldn't. I think for law they recommend English or another essay based subject eg history, the more facilitating subjects the better incase you change your mind
Last edited by Pbxxx; 1 month ago
Paralove
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Pbxxx)
you should do the subjects you enjoy then you'll probably get better grades but if you don't think you want to do the 1.5 hours on the bus you shouldn't. I think for law you just need English some also require history, the more facilitating subjects the better.
Not a single Law degree course requires English or history.

OP - what subjects is it you want to do and would otherwise do at the closer sixth form?

If you're travelling 3hrs a day without delays, that's 15hrs a week. What else could you do with the time saved? Certainly more time for homework, but also part time jobs, sport, seeing friends?
cool_cool
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Pbxxx)
you should do the subjects you enjoy then you'll probably get better grades but if you don't think you want to do the 1.5 hours on the bus you shouldn't. I think for law they recommend English or another essay based subject eg history, the more facilitating subjects the better incase you change your mind
Would a level business (alongside English lit and history) be a good option or would it be seen as a “soft” subject?
lalexm
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Would a level business (alongside English lit and history) be a good option or would it be seen as a “soft” subject?
That would be absolutely fine. Some would argue that business is seen as slightly soft, and not as respected as say economics, but alongside two of the most academic/tradition subject, it is fine.
Pbxxx
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
it is seen as soft but it's recommended to do 2 facilitating subjects so there shouldn't be a problem, maybe you could do economics which is a bit similar if you don't want to do any 'soft' subjects.
Slx.24
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I'd not recommend going to the one that has a 1.5hr commute. It'll get way too taxing for you, my commute can take like 1hr 15mins and I'm feeling the pain 🤣
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (240)
57.55%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (53)
12.71%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (46)
11.03%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (36)
8.63%
I haven't started researching yet (24)
5.76%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
4.32%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise