The Student Room Group

Best A Level for Medicine (maths or re?)

*SORRY FOR THE LONG READ*
I am continuing Chem and Bio both subjects I really enjoy and are compulsory for medicine past option change day. But I am really unsure as to whether Maths or RE is the better suited 3rd. I enjoy both equally and am equally skilled at both so the choice is purely down to which one is better suited to medicine. Will doing Maths be more "respected," than RE or will a student doing RE be at a disadvantage to a student who got the same grades doing Maths. I am just really stuck on which one to continue as my parents believe Maths will "open more doors for me," and believe it is the more respected A Level but most most Uni guidelines only really specify chem and bio leaving the third option completely up to the student. Will an A* in Maths and RE be seen exactly the same by medical schools or will preference be given to the Maths student as maths is seen as conventionally "more difficult."
Sorry for the long question but any suggestions will be greatly appreciated and Thankyou in advance
Maths, do maths - if you are good at it you may as well do maths - your parents are right Maths will open many doors for you - not to say A-Level RS isn't worthwhile but if you are looking into medicine maths is on the list of required subjects (as in the "and one from here" list) so it would definitely look better! Hope this helped
If you're not aiming for Cambridge then RS is sufficient for medicine.
Original post by Ajax120937102sdi
*SORRY FOR THE LONG READ*
I am continuing Chem and Bio both subjects I really enjoy and are compulsory for medicine past option change day. But I am really unsure as to whether Maths or RE is the better suited 3rd. I enjoy both equally and am equally skilled at both so the choice is purely down to which one is better suited to medicine. Will doing Maths be more "respected," than RE or will a student doing RE be at a disadvantage to a student who got the same grades doing Maths. I am just really stuck on which one to continue as my parents believe Maths will "open more doors for me," and believe it is the more respected A Level but most most Uni guidelines only really specify chem and bio leaving the third option completely up to the student. Will an A* in Maths and RE be seen exactly the same by medical schools or will preference be given to the Maths student as maths is seen as conventionally "more difficult."
Sorry for the long question but any suggestions will be greatly appreciated and Thankyou in advance

Do the easier option. The RE, u won't be at a disadvantage if u get the grades u need, plus med schools only ask for chem and bio, as long as u've got them choose any for ur 3rd

Quick Reply

Latest