LoveIsAChemical
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
I’m in my second week of sixth form and I started the great Gatsby, othello and I’m going to learn love through the ages.

I’m aiming for an A* and I really need some tips (essay examples, how to smash the AOs etc)

I woukd also love it if you could recommend any you tubers or lecturers that are similar to how mrsalles taught gcse English!

Also tips on time management, personal experiences etc will also be a great help!

Please help!!
Summertime123
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
Okkk so u really need to know the AOs inside out and focus on them a lot during ur essay. Make sure you have at least 2 instances of AO3 and AO4 each in ur essay. AO5 means that you should set up a sense of debate in your argument. However, at A level, you need to have a single opinion that you express throughout your essay, which you further by showing how the counter arguments could be interpreted in favour of your position. Also you could mention how different ideological groups (ie:Freud) would interpret the text.

Make sure also that you know some quotes, and have read your texts thoroughly a few times through, because although i think u get the book in the exam it wastes time going through it. Integrate both close language analysis and structural/form analysis into one paragraph to back up the overarching point of the paragraph.

Look online for some example essays and annotate them with the AOs. It really helps understand what the exam board are looking for
LoveIsAChemical
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 day ago
(Original post by Summertime123)
Okkk so u really need to know the AOs inside out and focus on them a lot during ur essay. Make sure you have at least 2 instances of AO3 and AO4 each in ur essay. AO5 means that you should set up a sense of debate in your argument. However, at A level, you need to have a single opinion that you express throughout your essay, which you further by showing how the counter arguments could be interpreted in favour of your position. Also you could mention how different ideological groups (ie:Freud) would interpret the text.

Make sure also that you know some quotes, and have read your texts thoroughly a few times through, because although i think u get the book in the exam it wastes time going through it. Integrate both close language analysis and structural/form analysis into one paragraph to back up the overarching point of the paragraph.

Look online for some example essays and annotate them with the AOs. It really helps understand what the exam board are looking for
Did you get an A/A*? COUKD you give some links to really high level resources please? Also, are there any online lectures or videos to help with eng lit (like mr salles?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think mandatory Relationships and Sex Education in secondary schools is a good idea?

Yes (357)
84%
No (68)
16%

Watched Threads