The Student Room Group

University of Law vs BPP - Pass Rate

Hello everyone,

I am due to start the LPC next year and need some advice on where to go. I have a TC lined up so I don't need somewhere with good career support, I just need somewhere I can pass and the teaching is good. Providers seem to be keeping pass rates to themselves but I read that one place has a pass rate of only 23%. From people's own experiences at the different sites for UoL and BPP, were pass rates fairly high?

Edit: I'd actually be open to go anywhere so it doesn't have to be UoL or BPP. Any recommendations?
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 1
Hi LewesCourtLaywer,

I've just finished my LPC at BPP and I had a horrific experience. I appreciate it is likely to be different than yours could be as mine was given completely online, but BPP has been a let down the entire year.

Half of my core group received their timetable 3 weeks into teaching, which is a horrific amount of work to catch up on (it is incredibly intense), by no fault of their own. Many people did not receive their module materials until mid way through the term and a few did not even receive them by the exams. The main reason why everyone feels so let down by the university is the management. It's been bought by an equity fund group in the last year or so and since then they have seemed to focus entirely on profit, instead of quality. There's an interesting comment/status on LinkedIn by a fellow student stating that only 12% of her group passed their exams first time (however she was a BTPC student), maybe this is what you were referring to re pass rates? In my cohort (Jan 2021) many students failed but many students also deferred. However the university's 2:2 admission requirements allows many students to be admitted who simply can't keep up with the workload, and therefore fail.

I chose BPP as I thought it was more prestigious than ULaw but I, and mostly everyone else I've spoken to, wished they would have gone to ULaw due to the bad management of BPP. In terms of teaching, they were mostly fine. I haven't had consistent tutors through my electives term and through the core term the teaching was of varying quality. I'm expected a distinction but that's only due to my motivation, not with any help from the university.

Price wise, I paid for the London campus at £16,500, and have had a completely online experience which would have been no different to if I had gone to the say, Manchester campus at £12,900. Many of us have tried to get that money back but as you would imagine, it's incredibly hard arguing against a law school. We aren't given any email addresses and have to submit any query through an online portal, which we'd be lucky to get a response from. Our mocks results weren't released on time, and released only a couple of weeks before the real exams. There's been issues with grade discrepancy (some students receiving much higher, or lower than expected) and when they stated we should raise this with them, they have a replied with a point blank refusal for feedback so we don't even know if we have grounds to appeal. I haven't heard of anything like this with ULaw.

Exam wise, I'm aware that ULaw is open book, which may make them a little easier. This year BPP have changed the exams also to open book as the exams are done at home, online. I'm not sure if they will revert back to on paper, closed book next year. To answer your question, I would choose ULaw.
I think it is likely both have a similar pass rate -possibly BPP is higher as it has a lot of people from the best firms who tend to be those with very high exam grades in the first place. I know two people on the LPC this academic year 2021/22 and it has not had the problems BPP (and others) had in 2020/21 due to the pandemic. This year it is face to face in class (unless you chose the online option) is 100% open book and you get a choice of exams in person or in an exam hall.

The quality of teaching and pass rate is very likely to be similar with UoL and BPP as both are very good and long standing. As yo have a TC you might want to choose an option near home if you are out of London as that would be cheaper than in London.
Original post by LewesCourtLawyer
Hello everyone,

I am due to start the LPC next year and need some advice on where to go. I have a TC lined up so I don't need somewhere with good career support, I just need somewhere I can pass and the teaching is good. Providers seem to be keeping pass rates to themselves but I read that one place has a pass rate of only 23%. From people's own experiences at the different sites for UoL and BPP, were pass rates fairly high?

Edit: I'd actually be open to go anywhere so it doesn't have to be UoL or BPP. Any recommendations?

Hi LewesCourtLawyer

ULaw offers several guarantees with its LPC, which you can read here: https://www.law.ac.uk/employability/lpc-employment-promise/ (and read the terms and conditions on the page too). Whilst you may not need the employment promise because you already have a position secured, the promise does show you how confident ULaw is in its pass rates.

I genuinely don't know who the provider was with the 23% pass rate this year but I think the pandemic has been an exceptional year for everyone and many (but not all) have seen a fall in rates. One way to gain more information, is to go onto the directory of the firm that you going to work for and see where those people did their LPCs- that will give you an idea of successful cohorts in your area. You can also check out profiles on LinkedIn too as many have education listed there.

Hope that helps!

Nic
Student Ambassador at the University of Law
Totally agree that BPP has a lot of students from some of the best firms. I would like to highlight that online experience has been spot on this year although I have heard it was not available last year (can't even imagine how students coped tbh during a pandemic). I feel very lucky that I can pursue a full-time LPC from my home including assessments that are varied: open book, take away home as well as oral.

Also agree that it's best to allow your firm to choose where they prefer you to pursue your LPC, after all, your firm would be your training provider end of the day. So their preference definitely matters. I met future trainees in my current LPC course at BPP who are sponsored by their law firms in the city. End of the day LPC seminar activities simply mimicks future trainee tasks if I am 100% honest from my personal experience. So I am confident that my LPC is preparing me for my future trainee life/day to day tasks. In terms of choosing a location, I think it depends on personal circumstances as well as preferences tbh.

Wishing you all the best with your LPC wherever you pursue.
Farzana
LPC LLM student and BPP ambassador

Original post by 17Student17
I think it is likely both have a similar pass rate -possibly BPP is higher as it has a lot of people from the best firms who tend to be those with very high exam grades in the first place. I know two people on the LPC this academic year 2021/22 and it has not had the problems BPP (and others) had in 2020/21 due to the pandemic. This year it is face to face in class (unless you chose the online option) is 100% open book and you get a choice of exams in person or in an exam hall.

The quality of teaching and pass rate is very likely to be similar with UoL and BPP as both are very good and long standing. As yo have a TC you might want to choose an option near home if you are out of London as that would be cheaper than in London.

Latest

Trending

Trending