The Student Room Group

good bollywood movies/dramas?

list some thanks
Balika Vadhu - drama

Loved this one
Reply 2
Lots of great Bollywood movies here. The only TV show I've heard about is Pavitra Rishta (RIP Sushant Singh Rajput).

SRK romances: Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, Dil To Pagal Hai, Veer Zaara, Jab Tak Hai Jaan, Baazigar, Kal Ho Na Ho, Devdas, DDLJ etc
Salman Khan masala movies: Bajrangi Bhaijaan, Sultan, Dabangg series, Tiger 1 and 2, Wanted (only the first one), Tere Naam, Hum Aapke Hain Kaun, Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam
Aamir Khan's best movies: Lagaan, Rang De Basanti, 3 Idiots, PK, Ghulam, Sarfarosh, Mangal Pandey, Ghajini
Hrithik Roshan: War, Koi Mil Gaya, Krrish, Mujhse Dosti Karoge, Dhoom 2
Akshay Kumar: Rustom, Airlift, Kesari, Good News, Andaaz, Dhadkan, Ajnabee, Main Khiladi Tu Anari, Welcome, Singh Is King, Mohra, Gold
Ajay Devgan: Drishyam, De De Pyaar De, Tanhaji, Singham, Kachche Dhaage, Baadshaho, Gangaajal, Bhagat Singh
Ranbir Kapoor: Barfi, Sanju, Rockstar, Yeh Jawani Hai Deewani, Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
Ranveer Singh: Ram Leela, Gunday, Band Baaja Baraat, Lootera, Simmba, Gully Boy
Varun Dhawan; Badlapur, October, Student Of The Year (the first one), Judwaa 2, Sui Dhaaga, Humpty Sharma/Badrinath Ki Dulhania
Alia Bhatt; Highway, Raazi, Dear Zindagi, Kapoor & Sons, Udta Punjab

Historical epics: Jodhaa Akbar, Padmaavat, Bajirao Mastani, Kalank, Mughal E Azam, Panipat, Mohenjo Daro

Keep an eye on my Bollywood thread. Post something there if you want suggestions or to talk about movies/actors/actresses/songs you like:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=263939&page=472
Devdas, Kal Ho Na Ho, Bajirao Mastani, Veer Zaara, Fanaa, Karan Arjun < all have beautiful songs to accompany them
3 Idiots, Ishq, Tanu Weds Manu, Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, Om Shanti Om, Main Hoon Na < entertaining Bollywood comedies
Mughal E Azam and Sholay < very famous old classics
Black, English Vinglish, Lagaan, Lajja, Shakti the Power, Dil Se, Bombay 1995, Swades < all have a good story
Original post by asif007
Lots of great Bollywood movies here. The only TV show I've heard about is Pavitra Rishta (RIP Sushant Singh Rajput).

SRK romances: Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, Dil To Pagal Hai, Veer Zaara, Jab Tak Hai Jaan, Baazigar, Kal Ho Na Ho, Devdas, DDLJ etc
Salman Khan masala movies: Bajrangi Bhaijaan, Sultan, Dabangg series, Tiger 1 and 2, Wanted (only the first one), Tere Naam, Hum Aapke Hain Kaun, Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam
Aamir Khan's best movies: Lagaan, Rang De Basanti, 3 Idiots, PK, Ghulam, Sarfarosh, Mangal Pandey, Ghajini
Hrithik Roshan: War, Koi Mil Gaya, Krrish, Mujhse Dosti Karoge, Dhoom 2
Akshay Kumar: Rustom, Airlift, Kesari, Good News, Andaaz, Dhadkan, Ajnabee, Main Khiladi Tu Anari, Welcome, Singh Is King, Mohra, Gold
Ajay Devgan: Drishyam, De De Pyaar De, Tanhaji, Singham, Kachche Dhaage, Baadshaho, Gangaajal, Bhagat Singh
Ranbir Kapoor: Barfi, Sanju, Rockstar, Yeh Jawani Hai Deewani, Ae Dil Hai Mushkil
Ranveer Singh: Ram Leela, Gunday, Band Baaja Baraat, Lootera, Simmba, Gully Boy
Varun Dhawan; Badlapur, October, Student Of The Year (the first one), Judwaa 2, Sui Dhaaga, Humpty Sharma/Badrinath Ki Dulhania
Alia Bhatt; Highway, Raazi, Dear Zindagi, Kapoor & Sons, Udta Punjab

Historical epics: Jodhaa Akbar, Padmaavat, Bajirao Mastani, Kalank, Mughal E Azam, Panipat, Mohenjo Daro

Keep an eye on my Bollywood thread. Post something there if you want suggestions or to talk about movies/actors/actresses/songs you like:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=263939&page=472

damn, I feel like I'm probably the only south asian who never watched a bollywood movie haha, what are your recommendations for a first timer?
Reply 5
Original post by summerbirdreads
damn, I feel like I'm probably the only south asian who never watched a bollywood movie haha, what are your recommendations for a first timer?

Haha, everyone has to start somewhere! Go for something light and entertaining like SRK romances. Kuch Kuch Hota Hai and Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge would be my recommendations for a first Bollywood film. These are the ones I watched first when I became interested in the movies many years ago. If you're a guy, these movies will show you why all girls love SRK. :tongue:
Original post by asif007
Haha, everyone has to start somewhere! Go for something light and entertaining like SRK romances. Kuch Kuch Hota Hai and Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge would be my recommendations for a first Bollywood film. These are the ones I watched first when I became interested in the movies many years ago. If you're a guy, these movies will show you why all girls love SRK. :tongue:

I'm girl haha, I heard my mum mention these movies a couple of times!
Reply 7
Original post by summerbirdreads
I'm girl haha, I heard my mum mention these movies a couple of times!

Great, then they're the perfect films for you to start with!
Original post by Anonymous
list some thanks

movie wise bajrangi bhaijaan is good and drama wise i highly recommend khuda aur muhabbat
Reply 9
jab We met
Original post by asif007

Unpopular opinion...but srk films are overrated imo :biggrin:
Original post by Bookworm_88
Unpopular opinion...but srk films are overrated imo :biggrin:

Most of his recent films: yeah they're overrated and nothing special. But the films he made up until 2012 were some of his best work.

Men should be aware why most South Asian girls love SRK and his films. It's because his movies sell this hyper-glamourous romantic fantasy that girls LOVE and expect their real-life relationships to follow. I bet you most guys are not huge fans of SRK but watch his movies anyway because their girlfriends love him. :tongue:
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by asif007
Most of his recent films: yeah they're overrated and nothing special. But the films he made up until 2012 were some of his best work.

Men should be aware why most South Asian girls love SRK and his films. It's because his movies sell this hyper-glamourous romantic fantasy that girls LOVE and expect their real-life relationships to follow. I bet you most guys are not huge fans of SRK but watch his movies anyway because their girlfriends love him. :tongue:

Tbf , no-one really likes him in my house so we never really watch his films. I do feel like this hyper sensationalised plots that a lot of films have (as they often rely on the actors fame rather than the actually plot) often makes for some cringe
Tbf , no-one really likes him in my house so we never really watch his films. I do feel like this hyper sensationalised plots that a lot of films have (as they often rely on the actors fame rather than the actually plot) often makes for some cringe

Haha, I see. I agree that an actor's image often takes priority over the story in lots of Hindi films. But some actors actually sell the larger-than-life hero image really well in their films. Salman Khan and Akshay Kumar IMO are the best in this respect. Other actors like SRK are trying too hard to copy their style and it ends up looking really bad on screen. IMO that's why his most recent films have performed badly at the BO, because this larger than life romantic hero image doesn't suit him any more like it did 30 years ago. Having said that, I would like to see the top actors reinvent themselves a bit more as there aren't many of them who are versatile across every genre.
Original post by asif007
Haha, I see. I agree that an actor's image often takes priority over the story in lots of Hindi films. But some actors actually sell the larger-than-life hero image really well in their films. Salman Khan and Akshay Kumar IMO are the best in this respect. Other actors like SRK are trying too hard to copy their style and it ends up looking really bad on screen. IMO that's why his most recent films have performed badly at the BO, because this larger than life romantic hero image doesn't suit him any more like it did 30 years ago. Having said that, I would like to see the top actors reinvent themselves a bit more as there aren't many of them who are versatile across every genre.

Maybe because he's just too old :biggrin:
Maybe because he's just too old :biggrin:

He's roughly the same age as Aamir Khan, Salman Khan, Akshay Kumar and Ajay Devgan who are all still making the most successful movies. I agree age is a factor but I would put it down more to his refusal to try anything different. At this point he's just flogging a dead horse. Hopefully his next film Pathan will surprise me.
Original post by asif007
He's roughly the same age as Aamir Khan, Salman Khan, Akshay Kumar and Ajay Devgan who are all still making the most successful movies. I agree age is a factor but I would put it down more to his refusal to try anything different. At this point he's just flogging a dead horse. Hopefully his next film Pathan will surprise me.

yeh, they're all just too old. They try and wring out success from their rep.
Honala rakh
3 idiots
Rohi
Dil wale
Jagga jasos
Bahuballi 1 and 2
:u:

Quick Reply

Latest