Top UK Unis for History and Politics

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hello,

Hopefully somebody may be able to help me!

I just dropped out of St Andrews; having studied History and IR. I found the town way too small and pretty boring and knew it wasn't for me. I now have to reapply and am wondering if anybody would be able to advise any good uk unis for history/politics preferably in a middle sized city (not Manchester/London) but not as small as St Andrews.

I have A*A*A* and am planning on applying to Durham, LSE and King's atm (not too keen on London tho). Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you!
Ak4753
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hello,

I just dropped out of St Andrews; having studied History and IR. I found the town way too small and pretty boring and knew it wasn't for me. I now have to reapply and am wondering if anybody would be able to advise any good uk unis for history/politics preferably in a middle sized city (not Manchester/London) but not as small as St Andrews.

I have A*A*A* and am planning on applying to Durham, LSE and King's atm (not too keen on London tho). Any help would be appreciated!

Thank you!
Given the nature of history and politics as degrees, uni name is gonna matter more as you are probably going to end up applying to generalist grad schemes. Stick with the targets (UCL, LSE) and try for oxbridge tbh. Durham is good too.
Last edited by Ak4753; 1 week ago
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hello,

Thank you!
umm if St A is too small for you you're not gonna have much more fun in Durham lmao.

i'd stick with Bristol, Nottingham, Leeds..
Reallybigbutter
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Durham is only slightly larger than St Andrews. So if the city size is your main problem, Durham is not a very good choice.
For London, your choices are fine. LSE and King's are prestigious for history and IR. King's is particularly popular for war studies. UCL is also among the top ones for history, though it doesn't really have many IR stuff.
For smaller cities, Edinburgh and Bristol are probably the best choices for middle sized cities. Bristol doesn't have the reputation in history and IR, but is a promising institution overall. Edinburgh is known for both.
If you can consider Ireland (not in the UK but very similar), Trinity Dublin is another choice. It's strong in the subjects, and has a solid reputation as the Oxbridge in Ireland.
Last edited by Reallybigbutter; 1 week ago
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Ak4753)
Given the nature of history and politics as degrees, uni name is gonna matter more as you are probably going to end up applying to generalist grad schemes. Stick with the targets (UCL, LSE) and try for oxbridge tbh. Durham is good too.
Thank you!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by A Rolling Stone)
umm if St A is too small for you you're not gonna have much more fun in Durham lmao.

i'd stick with Bristol, Nottingham, Leeds..
Yeah I get this. Some of my family have been to Durham and when I went to visit I had a great time. I thought St Andrews would be like that but it was a LOT smaller but yeah because of that have reservations about Durham.

Thanks for the suggestions! Not sure Leeds is for me because I’m not really a party animal but will check out Bristol and Nottingham thank you!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Reallybigbutter)
Durham is only slightly larger than St Andrews. So if the city size is your main problem, Durham is not a very good choice.
For London, your choices are fine. LSE and King's are prestigious for history and IR. King's is particularly popular for war studies. UCL is also among the top ones for history, though it doesn't really have many IR stuff.
For smaller cities, Edinburgh and Bristol are probably the best choices for middle sized cities. Bristol doesn't have the reputation in history and IR, but is a promising institution overall. Edinburgh is known for both.
If you can consider Ireland (not in the UK but very similar), Trinity Dublin is another choice. It's strong in the subjects, and has a solid reputation as the Oxbridge in Ireland.
Thank you so much for your reply 😊

Definitely have concerns about Durham - but I know it well and like it but I guess it’s different living there.

Thank you so much for the other options you suggested. UCL I like the look of their European Political Studies course so might try for that but defo think I will apply to Edinburgh as well as King’s, LSE and Durham!

Also was considering Trinity too; think my A Levels + my language AS have enough CAO points to get onto History and Politics so that’s an option too.

Thanks so much for your help!
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
How about Exeter still a smallish city but bigger than Durham. Also York. All are very good for your subjects. It doesnt sound like London universities and somewhere like Bristol is for you,.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by swanseajack1)
How about Exeter still a smallish city but bigger than Durham. Also York. All are very good for your subjects. It doesnt sound like London universities and somewhere like Bristol is for you,.
Thank you! Exeter isn’t really for me - most people from my school went there but will definitely give York a look!
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thank you! Exeter isn’t really for me - most people from my school went there but will definitely give York a look!
You could also maybe look into Lancaster.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (25)
13.37%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.42%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.81%
I need help with my personal statement (79)
42.25%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (44)
23.53%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.6%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (15)
8.02%

Watched Threads