mdwwq
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Can you realistically be able to get an offer from Oxford for law if you have these GCSEs:
four 9s
four 8s
one 6
one 5
the 5 in spanish and the 6 in computing
My A level predicted are grades are 3 A* and I have a lot of legal work experience on my personal statement.
jane_wEYREwolf
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I do not know about the GCSEs. Oxford grades your GCSEs contextually, so depending on the type of school you’ve been to and the average grades at your school will affect how they’re considered.

Also, note that GCSEs will not override over things if they are good ie your lnat. Everything is given a score, including contextual GCSEs and then these scores are multiplied depending on their considered value overall (ie entrance exams highest) to determine your candidate score. So if everything else is really good, it’ll be enough to balance out GCSEs.

Also, and I apologise if this is something that you’re already doing, but discussing and analysing things you’ve read to do with law will be looked on a lot more favourably on your personal statement than listing work experience etc. Do you engage with or evaluate anything that you learnt on the work experience? A friend of mine got all 9s bar one and was also predicted 3 A*s and when applying for law at Oxbridge was rejected before interview, and I believe that that’s because his personal statement mostly described work experiences he’d been on and was not critical enough ( I read it afterwards)
jane_wEYREwolf
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by ss2004)
2020 GCSE were centre assessed grades and 2021 AS levels were teacher assessed grades.

Given that none of them were official exam, will their weightage be lower this year compared to other years?

BrasenoseAdm
I have no idea sorry. I would hope so, though
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.5%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (35)
14.58%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (43)
17.92%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (34)
14.17%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (63)
26.25%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.58%

Watched Threads