The Student Room Group

The upcoming reforms to A-levels

The government is planning to replace the archaic A*-E system for A-levels with 9-1 like the GCSE system to create a break from the past pandemic and improve differentiation.
Source: https://inews.co.uk/news/education/a-levels-government-numerical-grades-top-grade-gcse-1197107

What do you think of this reform?

Scroll to see replies

I love this idea!
I don't think we need 9 grades at A level - I can't see the need for that granularity. 1-5 or 1-6 would be fine.
Original post by Reality Check
I don't think we need 9 grades at A level - I can't see the need for that granularity. 1-5 or 1-6 would be fine.

that's essentially what we have with letters though, just now with numbers

1-6 or A* to E is same number of grades. 1-9 allowed me to really show off my love of my subjects at GCSE, 5 or 6 isn't enough to separate high achievers, and a B is such a huge A-level grade that a 6 or a 5 really helps to separate up.
Reply 4
Let's just copy U.S.A's education system

yes
Original post by CatInTheCorner

1-6 or A* to E is same number of grades. 1-9 allowed me to really show off my love of my subjects at GCSE, 5 or 6 isn't enough to separate high achievers, and a B is such a huge A-level grade that a 6 or a 5 really helps to separate up.

I appreciate that, but GCSEs are taken by (practically) everyone and thus the grading system needs to accommodate a very wide range of attainment. It's generally accepted that things become 'funnelled' as you go up through academic levels, and thus the descriptors for attainment (grades) don't need to be so wide. For instance, there are only four 'grades' for Level 6 (batchelors): I, II(1), II(2) and III. At Level 7, Masters, there are only 3: Pass, Merit and Distinction, and practically only 3 at Level 8 (Ph.D): outright pass, major corrections and minor corrections.

It would be odd for A levels to buck this trend, primarily because there is no need for them to so do.
Original post by L1QUOR
Let's just copy U.S.A's education system

how's that copying USA's education system?
Original post by summerbirdreads
how's that copying USA's education system?

They never said it was.
Original post by cleveranimal56
They never said it was.

oh ok my bad lol i interpreted that wrong
but even then let's not copy American education system
Original post by summerbirdreads
oh ok my bad lol i interpreted that wrong
but even then let's not copy American education system

:yep:
I don't think you'd need a 1 grade, (there is no F or G at A-level so it'd represent a sub-E standard, probably meaning everyone passes) or an extra grade around the C. (the reason this was done is quite specific to GCSE I think) 1-7 would probably work fine. (with the extra grades for B+/A+ and A*+) But I wouldn't be surprised if they just went for 1-9 so there's less confusion. (then offers like 988 would probably be just around the corner for the very top courses)

I would speculate the main reason this is done is a) to make deflation easier and less disruptive (not 100% sure it'll work out this way though) and b) they were probably planning to do it eventually when they made GCSEs 9-1. (just like the GCSE was the first to get the A* grade)

Actually thinking about it, isn't IB already 1-7?
(edited 2 years ago)
I appreciate that, but GCSEs are taken by (practically) everyone and thus the grading system needs to accommodate a very wide range of attainment. It's generally accepted that things become 'funnelled' as you go up through academic levels, and thus the descriptors for attainment (grades) don't need to be so wide. For instance, there are only four 'grades' for Level 6 (batchelors): I, II(1), II(2) and III. At Level 7, Masters, there are only 3: Pass, Merit and Distinction, and practically only 3 at Level 8 (Ph.D): outright pass, major corrections and minor corrections.

It would be odd for A levels to buck this trend, primarily because there is no need for them to so do.

True, and I definitely see your point, but with the average A-level grade being a C ( hence the very nature of a C ) I feel like they're still too general. Plenty of people do A-levels, plenty do average but are given a C due to a percentage point off a B. Numbers are more accurate, maybe 7 or so :smile:

I would rather remove E grade in A-level and expand F to include that because E standard imo is too low for a pass. For Advanced Highers in Scotland they have D-A, and Scottish Adv Higher A is equal to A level A*.

I mean 98% of people passing is a boatload of passes even at A-level. Should be down to 90%.
Original post by justlearning1469
I would rather remove E grade in A-level and expand F to include that because E standard imo is too low for a pass. For Advanced Highers in Scotland they have D-A, and Scottish Adv Higher A is equal to A level A*.

I mean 98% of people passing is a boatload of passes even at A-level. Should be down to 90%.

there's no F at A-level, do you mean a U? I think the E is an important benchmark in terms of setting grade boundaries and writing papers to the correct level too.

I think Us should be avoided at any cost, there's nothing to distinguish a high U from 0, it really should be an uncreditable level of performance.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by _gcx
there's no F at A-level, do you mean a U? I think the E is an important benchmark in terms of setting grade boundaries and writing papers to the correct level too.

I think Us should be avoided at any cost, there's nothing to distinguish a high U from 0, it really should be an uncreditable level of performance.

I mean 40% marks in my opinion is too low for a pass, E should be renamed to F and it should become a fail grade, in addition to A-levels being slightly harder.

The pass rate for A-levels should be around 90% imo, to weed out the really poor performers.
I mean 40% marks in my opinion is too low for a pass, E should be renamed to F and it should become a fail grade, in addition to A-levels being slightly harder.

The pass rate for A-levels should be around 90% imo, to weed out the really poor performers.

Why would changing E to F weed out the poor performers? Why do A-Levels need to be made slightly harder?

A-levels are already fairly hard (or at least the population finds it hard) which is why the grade boundaries are so low. In a pipe dream I'd like to see A-level maths bridge the gap between school and university more, but I don't think that'll ever happen.

Seeing as a U is a completely worthless qualification, (which is equated to having not written anything at all) I think we need a grade to recognise a very minimal display of competence, even if said grade isn't worth a great amount. It lets some people go to university, etc.
Original post by CatInTheCorner

I agree with this.

Though there should be a 10 grade, higher than a high A* old, higher than 9. This grade would be approximately top 2%.
https://analytics.ofqual.gov.uk/apps/GCSE/Outcomes/

Top 2% is the critical percent because within 1 SD, capability is average and the class is suited for those people.
For 1-2 SD above/below the mean, high/low achievers respectively, they'd need differentiation but it'll be enough.

“Gifted and talented children” means those persons between the ages of four and twenty-one whose abilities, talents, and potential for accomplishment are so exceptional or developmentally advanced that they require special provisions to meet their educational programing needs.
Source: https://www.d11.org/Page/2545
The cutoff is usually two or more standard deviations above the mean (top 2.28%), because in statistics 2 SD variation is considered exceptional.
That is why top 2% is crucial, they do need significant provisions, not merely class differentiation.
Original post by SpaceLover29
Why would changing E to F weed out the poor performers? Why do A-Levels need to be made slightly harder?

Well making E a fail grade means that you acknowledge some performance yet don't make it a pass.

There are various universities which would benefit from more rigorous A-levels further bridging the gap between school and university. Additionally harder A-levels differentiate more, along with allowing us to compete with other qualifications abroad which are arguably more challenging. This will furthermore increase UK soft power.

Quick Reply

Latest