Leeds or Bath? Artificial Intelligence MSc.

Watch this thread
Tiffany1990
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Assuming I had an offer from both, which is the better university academically? I don't care about night life or cost of living etc.

Leeds is Russel Group, but how important is that? I plan on pursuing a PhD afterwards, so does having ties to a RG university offer any benefit if I was aiming to apply for a PhD somewhere like Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial etc?

Bath has consistently finished higher than Leeds in league tables, but just how much should these be paid attention to? Especially when the placing has, at times, been just half a dozen places or so.

I'm leaning towards Bath but I was hoping for some advice from others.
Last edited by Tiffany1990; 9 months ago
University of Bath Postgraduate
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 9 months ago
Hi Tiffany,

It's great to hear you're considering studying at the University of Bath! I am a current MSc student at Bath studying Applied Clinical Psychology.

The recent 2022 Guardian rankings place the University of Bath overall 8th in the U.K. while Leeds places at 16th. For computer science and information systems, the Guardian has ranked Bath 18th for 2022 (last year Bath was ranked 7th). Compared to Leeds who are ranked 57th for 2022 and 59th for 2021. So while the two universities place only a handful apart overall, the rankings for the department your MSc would be in differ a bit more. However, the Complete University Guide ranks Leeds as 14th and Bath for 15th in Computer science so on these rankings the unis are very similar!

The Guardian rankings can be helpful to pay attention to as they provide information from current students at the university. For computer science and information systems degrees, 85.1% of students at Bath were satisfied with their course compared to 68.4% of students on these courses at Leeds. So these league tables are valuable as a tool to assess the quality of education you'd get on both degrees.

In terms of whether attending a Russel Group University would be beneficial for applying to PhDs at Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial etc... Russel Group status indicates that a university has a well established focus on research and high academic standards. However, the University of Bath is well respected for the quality of research and high academic standard, and regularly ranks highly despite not being Russel Group.

Hopefully this helps!

Emily
MSc Applied Clinical Psychology
Tiffany1990
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Thank you, Emily.

There are so many league tables, it's hard to know which to pay attention to!

I'm certainly leaning more towards Bath. I'll continue my research into the two and welcome anyone else's opinions on the matter.

Thanks again.
Smittal86
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Depends on your aptitude. A more Programming aptitude is suited for Bath and a analytical aptitude for Leeds.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (17)
27.87%
As I expected (17)
27.87%
Harder (24)
39.34%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
4.92%

Watched Threads