Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I started my induction for uni yesterday, and we were put into groups. The people in my group were nice but they already knew each other from beforehand. So being me I had a hard time adjusting and I couldn't help but feel left out. They all seemed to indirectly not want me there. Like for example when I was walking with them during the campus tour they all seemed very quiet around me and just kept walking forward as if they didn't want to walk with me.
It was also very hard for me because during lunch I had to sit all by myself and I felt so lonely.

I don't know anyone in my course and I feel like at this rate I'm not gonna have any friends 😥
Anonymous #1
I feel so upset rn about this, can anyone give me advice?
Anonymous #1
The socieites fair for my uni is today, but I cant go to it due to an appointment. Will this be a problem because it would mean that I wont be able to join societies?
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I feel so upset rn about this, can anyone give me advice?
Hi, you sound really upset after feeling left out. I can only imagine how that must feel when everything is so new. How were you feeling before you started? I can't give any advice as I don't know you but I do know that often the first people that you meet are often those that you end up trying to distance yourself from in the future.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
Definitely agree with this
Anonymous #3
Report 1 month ago
Happened to me too and I think I wanted to cry as well. People just walked off with their "friends" they either made at the first course meeting or who they knew as majority knew each other from college.

Don't worry it does happen so you're not alone likely on campus I bet there's someone else in the same boat as you. So now you know the people on your course know each other, do you know how they know each other, is it because they live in halls together? I was in same boat and was alone on my first day but then managed to make a friendship group luckily. So just give it a few more weeks ..

What I'd suggest you would do is join two societies, you don't need to join at the fair but another day maybe online. During the initial weeks there's always something going on. Go to the Student Union area, become a rep, occupy yourself and maybe during the course you will make friends with them..I managed to and I'm super shy.
Anonymous #1
Happened to me too and I think I wanted to cry as well. People just walked off with their "friends" they either made at the first course meeting or who they knew as majority knew each other from college.

Don't worry it does happen so you're not alone likely on campus I bet there's someone else in the same boat as you. So now you know the people on your course know each other, do you know how they know each other, is it because they live in halls together? I was in same boat and was alone on my first day but then managed to make a friendship group luckily. So just give it a few more weeks ..

What I'd suggest you would do is join two societies, you don't need to join at the fair but another day maybe online. During the initial weeks there's always something going on. Go to the Student Union area, become a rep, occupy yourself and maybe during the course you will make friends with them..I managed to and I'm super shy.
The ppl on my course already knew each other since college/student halls. The problem is that we are put into groups that we will have to be with for the whole year and the ppl in my group already knew each other so it was hard for me to adjust. 😭😢

The societies that I want to join aren't available online. 😭 I think in order to join them you have to go to the fair.
Anonymous #1
Hi, you sound really upset after feeling left out. I can only imagine how that must feel when everything is so new. How were you feeling before you started? I can't give any advice as I don't know you but I do know that often the first people that you meet are often those that you end up trying to distance yourself from in the future.
I was actually really excited at first but then after I realised I'm gonna be left out, I felt quite upset.
Anonymous #4
Report 1 month ago
The ppl on my course already knew each other since college/student halls. The problem is that we are put into groups that we will have to be with for the whole year and the ppl in my group already knew each other so it was hard for me to adjust. 😭😢

The societies that I want to join aren't available online. 😭 I think in order to join them you have to go to the fair.
Try and get those people in a whatsapp group or something, and then invite them out telling them you would like to get to know them.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
I was actually really excited at first but then after I realised I'm gonna be left out, I felt quite upset.
I'm so sorry to hear that. You said that this was the induction week. Will you be in different groups when you actually start the course?
Anonymous #1
The societies that I wanted to join arent available online, I would have to go to the fair to join, but I can't 😢
Anonymous #1
I'm so sorry to hear that. You said that this was the induction week. Will you be in different groups when you actually start the course?
I'm not sure because the timetable for the year is based on these gruops, so I have a feeling that I'm going to be in the same group for the year :cry:
Anonymous #1
I'll do that. Thank you!
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
It's your induction ffs, of course you're going to be alone on that, you're actually a r*tard
If you don't have anything nice to say, don't comment
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (242)
57.62%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (54)
12.86%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (46)
10.95%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (36)
8.57%
I haven't started researching yet (24)
5.71%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
4.29%

Watched Threads