Why are the Bsc courses 4 years long?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
I'm looking at Aberdeen uni, primarily biomedical sciences (pharmacology) and I noticed all their courses are 4 years long for a Bsc. It mentioned an honours year in the modules in the 4th year but everywhere else that does Bsc (hons) is just 3 years? I only recently started looking at unis so I may just be ignorant to the types of courses and durations but it seems like an Msci course? Their Msci courses are the ones with industrial placements and are 5 years long though.
flaurie
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm looking at Aberdeen uni, primarily biomedical sciences (pharmacology) and I noticed all their courses are 4 years long for a Bsc. It mentioned an honours year in the modules in the 4th year but everywhere else that does Bsc (hons) is just 3 years? I only recently started looking at unis so I may just be ignorant to the types of courses and durations but it seems like an Msci course? Their Msci courses are the ones with industrial placements and are 5 years long though.
Bsc courses in Scotland are 4 years long
hungrysalamander
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Bachelor's degrees in Scotland are all 4 years as you study more subjects.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by flaurie)
Bsc courses in Scotland are 4 years long
Thank you so much! I'd tried to search it up but I was probably being too specific about it being just Aberdeen because I hadn't looked into other Scottish unis yet

(Original post by hungrysalamander)
Bachelor's degrees in Scotland are all 4 years as you study more subjects.
Thank you!!
normaw
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
My understanding is that standard Scottish Highers are similar in equivalence to the AS level. For example, an A in a Higher is worth 33 UCAS points where an A at A level is worth 48 points. There are Advanced Highers worth more points, but not all students take these. Hence, BSc/BA degrees from Scottish unis take four rather three years to cover the detail not covered in the Highers.
NeuroJanine
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
It is. Higher Grades are equivalent to an AS Level due to them lasting an equal length of time, a year. Advanced Highers/CSYS when I was at school were only for those who did their higher in the fifth year and were awarded an A or B at higher. Plus it is possible to go to uni straight after fifth year as well.

The thread starter mentioned Aberdeen Uni, and Aberdeen along with Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dundee and St Andrews all offer MAs as a first degree in arts subjects. Yet is not seen as being equivalent to integrated masters.

(Original post by normaw)
My understanding is that standard Scottish Highers are similar in equivalence to the AS level. For example, an A in a Higher is worth 33 UCAS points where an A at A level is worth 48 points. There are Advanced Highers worth more points, but not all students take these. Hence, BSc/BA degrees from
DecoyFerret
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Well, Scotland is pretty much a third world country leached to England and that comes with budged friendly public education system They need the extra year to learn how to read before the actual degree starts
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (13)
6.84%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (31)
16.32%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (31)
16.32%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (28)
14.74%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (52)
27.37%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (35)
18.42%

Watched Threads