Official De Montfort University 2022 Applicant Thread!

Watch
De Montfort University
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Hey everyone,

This thread is for all of those who are looking to study with us in 2022!

It's a great place for you to meet your peers and ask any questions you may have about joining us on campus.

Just to break the ice, here are some questions, so we can get to know you:

1. Tell us a bit about yourself and your interests!
2. What course are you looking to apply to?
3. Are you thinking of applying anywhere else, if so, where?

We can't wait to meet you!

From all of us at De Montfort University, take care and stay safe!
omaiie
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by De Montfort University)
Hey everyone,

This thread is for all of those who are looking to study with us in 2022!

It's a great place for you to meet your peers and ask any questions you may have about joining us on campus.

Just to break the ice, here are some questions, so we can get to know you:

1. Tell us a bit about yourself and your interests!
2. What course are you looking to apply to?
3. Are you thinking of applying anywhere else, if so, where?

We can't wait to meet you!

From all of us at De Montfort University, take care and stay safe!
Hello!

I'm applying for the Game Art course at DMU I like playing games and I also love drawing which is why I chose this course! I'm also applying for Game Art at Escape Studios, University of Hertfordshire, Norwich University of the Arts and University of Huddersfield.
Some other things I like apart from games and drawing are playing my violin/piano and occasionally programming ^^
De Montfort University
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by omaiie)
Hello!

I'm applying for the Game Art course at DMU I like playing games and I also love drawing which is why I chose this course! I'm also applying for Game Art at Escape Studios, University of Hertfordshire, Norwich University of the Arts and University of Huddersfield.
Some other things I like apart from games and drawing are playing my violin/piano and occasionally programming ^^
Hi there omaiie!

It's good to hear that you are going to be applying to DMU!

Your hobbies sound awesome! There are lots of ways you can really utilise them at university, too. Here at DMU we have a wide range of student groups and societies which you could get involved in to share your passions with others. You can take a look at all of the societies that we offer through this link: https://www.demontfortsu.com/activities/studentgroups/.

We also have some fantastic facilities to help you develop your Game Art skills here, too! If you were ever interested in seeing what sorts of facilities we do offer in more detail, you could definitely make use of one of our Open Days. Our Open Days give you an opportunity to chat to lots of different people from DMU - academics and current students for your course of interest are always on hand to have a chat to you about what you want from your university experience, and how we can help realise it! You can find out more information about our Open Days here: https://www.dmu.ac.uk/study/undergra...open-days.aspx.

All the best with your applications this year!

Take care,

Konnie
mjhmichael18
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I will be starting at De Montfort University next academic year doing Accounting and Finance BA Hons after doing a kind of gap year and deferring while doing an AAT Level 2 course and a supported internship course.
Last edited by mjhmichael18; 1 month ago
Anonymous #1
Report 1 month ago
May I ask what areas do students often live in, during term time?
De Montfort University
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by mjhmichael18)
I will be starting at De Montfort University next academic year doing Accounting and Finance BA Hons after doing a kind of gap year and deferring while doing an AAT Level 2 course and a supported internship course.
Hey there mjhmichael18

We are so happy to hear that you'll be joining us!

You'll be part of a close-knit family in the Faculty of Business and Law located in the Hugh Aston Building. In the Faculty, we have a brand new space called The Yard, where you'll be able to visit the garden terrace, the large study room, or the warm hang-out spots. Also located in the Hugh Aston Building is one of the many Cafes found on campus. I strongly suggest the Hot Chocolate .

We look forward to welcoming you to campus!

- Dennis
De Montfort University
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
May I ask what areas do students often live in, during term time?
Hi Anonymous#1,
In terms of area, do you mean what type of accommodation do students often stay at?

If so, there 4 types of accommodations: Private Rented Houses and Rooms, Private Halls, University Managed Houses and Rooms, and lastly University Halls of Residence.

During 1st Year, students are highly recommended to check out the University Managed Houses and Rooms, or University Halls of Residence.
I found that going through the university-managed accommodation gave me the peace of mind of settling at uni. I didn’t have to worry too much about utilities, due to the majority of places being covered under one weekly payment. Though I do advise double-checking if the bills are included for whatever accommodation you do decide to live in.

After 1st Year, students can either stay at their current accommodation or branch out to the Private Accommodation sector. I did this during my 2nd Year, as well as this year. I found that trying out how to manage your own rent and utilities will benefit you after you finish your studies. It’s also relatively easier to manage, with council tax not being taken into consideration - with us being students.

TLDR: Students often stay at University Managed Houses and Rooms, or University Halls of Residence. This is due to bills being often included. Another benefit is that these types of accommodations are either on campus or just outside.

For more information about the University Managed Houses and Rooms, or Halls of Residence, check out our Accommodation section on our website: https://www.dmu.ac.uk/study/accommodation/index.aspx

Hope this helps,

Jesse, 3rd Year Animation Student
Last edited by De Montfort University; 1 month ago
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
Hello!
I am applying to DMU to study Film Studies and am currently studying Biology, Chemistry and Film Studies. I edit videos in my free time and stream as well (I'm not very good haha). I am also applying to the University of Huddersfield, University of Winchester, University of Lincoln and Bournemouth Arts.

Nervous to send my application off haha
Anonymous #3
Report 1 month ago
Hi everyone!

Currently applying to DMU to study the Concept and Comic Arts Course. Being Autistic, DMU's Open day really impressed me when I learnt of all the support they have in place for Neurodivergent Students, the best so far that I have seen that doesn't just mention the DSA and nothing else, so definitely a good choice to look at for other ND students! I am also applying to Leeds Arts University, University of Hertfordshire, and CCCU and Bournemouth as my Insurance choices :]
My interests include: JRPGs, Teaware and buying niche books from charity shops that date back to the 50s/60s, oh, and also cats!

Kind of apprehensive considering this is my second year of applying to Universities (rejection happens) , although it is my first time applying to DMU. Fingers crossed!
De Montfort University
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hello!
I am applying to DMU to study Film Studies and am currently studying Biology, Chemistry and Film Studies. I edit videos in my free time and stream as well (I'm not very good haha). I am also applying to the University of Huddersfield, University of Winchester, University of Lincoln and Bournemouth Arts.

Nervous to send my application off haha
Hello Anonymous # 2, how are you?

It’s good to hear that you are going to be applying to study with us!

Do you have any questions that we can help you with at all?

Sending off your university applications can be hugely daunting, we all know. But have confidence in yourself! See it as a new challenge, and be proud of your achievements no matter what.

Before you send off your application, you can also check our personal statement advice and guidance. I’ll attach a link here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G54O3TneIc4.

Best of luck with your applications!

Konnie
De Montfort University
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi everyone!

Currently applying to DMU to study the Concept and Comic Arts Course. Being Autistic, DMU's Open day really impressed me when I learnt of all the support they have in place for Neurodivergent Students, the best so far that I have seen that doesn't just mention the DSA and nothing else, so definitely a good choice to look at for other ND students! I am also applying to Leeds Arts University, University of Hertfordshire, and CCCU and Bournemouth as my Insurance choices :]
My interests include: JRPGs, Teaware and buying niche books from charity shops that date back to the 50s/60s, oh, and also cats!

Kind of apprehensive considering this is my second year of applying to Universities (rejection happens) , although it is my first time applying to DMU. Fingers crossed!
Hi Anonymous # 3, how are you?

It's great to hear that you have applied to study with us here at DMU!

It’s fantastic news that you found our Open Day helpful, and that you received all of the support and information that you were looking for. I will pass this feedback on to a member of the team!

Do you have any other questions that you’ve thought of after the Open Day, that we can help you with?

Your interests sound really cool by the way! Being a Creative Writing student, I particularly love all types of books too. You’ll be right at home in Leicester – we have a place called The Lanes in the city centre, which is a shopping area dedicated to independent and charity shops. There are some lovely little shops there which you can find some great retro books in, so be sure to go and check them out if you visit again!

Best of luck with your applications,

Konnie
RoisinTew
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
Just got an offer for Film Studies!!
De Montfort University
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by RoisinTew)
Just got an offer for Film Studies!!
Hi RoisinTew, how are you?

A massive congratulations to you on receiving an offer to study with us here at De Montfort University!

Do you have any questions at this stage of your application that we can help you with?

Don’t forget - if you need some advice or support at any point, you can get in touch with our Enquiries Team who are always happy to help. You can find their contact details on our website: https://www.dmu.ac.uk/home.aspx.

Take care,

Konnie, postgraduate Creative Writing student 😊
RoisinTew
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by De Montfort University)
Hi RoisinTew, how are you?

A massive congratulations to you on receiving an offer to study with us here at De Montfort University!

Do you have any questions at this stage of your application that we can help you with?

Don’t forget - if you need some advice or support at any point, you can get in touch with our Enquiries Team who are always happy to help. You can find their contact details on our website: https://www.dmu.ac.uk/home.aspx.

Take care,

Konnie, postgraduate Creative Writing student 😊
Thank you!!

When exactly would I start applying for accommodation? Just curious for the time being
De Montfort University
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by RoisinTew)
Thank you!!

When exactly would I start applying for accommodation? Just curious for the time being
Hi RoisinTew,

For the September intake, our accommodation booking system usually opens in March. 😊

I’ll attach a link to our accommodation page, so that you can have a look at all of the different types of accommodation that we offer here at DMU, and our frequently asked questions regarding accommodation: https://www.dmu.ac.uk/study/accommodation/index.aspx.

Let me know if there’s anything else we can help you with!

Konnie 😊
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you describe the quality of the digital skills you're taught at school?

Excellent (32)
10%
Okay (94)
29.38%
A bit lacking (115)
35.94%
Not good at all (79)
24.69%

Watched Threads