The Student Room Group

should i do the epq?

hi! i’ve just started sixth form last week, and i’ve been given the option to complete the epq on top of my a-levels. i was wondering if it was worth doing?
i’ve been trying to weigh out the pros and cons yet i still can’t decide :/ i understand the benefits but also i’ve heard how difficult it can be so i’m undecided! just wanting to hear different takes on it :smile:
i currently study psychology, law and media studies a-levels and i want to eventually go onto doing a degree related to psychology, do people recommend if i should do it or not?
the thought of working on something independently alongside my a-levels is superr daunting for me, but if it will make a huge difference on a uni application then is it worth putting my fear aside and still going for it?

any response is appreciated, thank you!
Hey, I'm not doing an EPQ but I know people who are. At my school you can go to sessions for the EPQ and start working on it, but you're not locked into pursuing it until year 13. Don't know how it is at your school, but if it's similar, you could try it out, see if you can balance the work load and then decide later. You can always drop out if it gets too much. It sounds like a good opportunity (I'm taking 4 A-levels, so I thought it would add too much extra stress, otherwise I'd be doing it) so you should give it a go if the idea appeals to you. Hope this helps, good luck! :smile:
Reply 2
heya,

I also hope to study Psychology at uni (next year). I have almost finished my EPQ and it has been EXTREMELY valuable.
It is very well regarded at some universities such as bath, they often drop a grade if you do well in the epq (ie a or a*).
whilst it is quite a lot of work, its manageable as long as you do it little and often and dont leave it to the last minute!!
there are also lots of help on here for it, such as how to structure your essay etc.
it is also useful for uni as you learn skills such as referencing and independent research which are both essential for uni!

so yes, I would definitely recommend it!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending