sunny225
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I am considering applying for the biochem course at imperial and have heard a few negative things so am wondering - is it difficult to make friends at imperial and are there the same opportunities to have fun/enjoy yourself/go out as there are at other unis?? Also is it an ok place to study if you suffer from social anxiety? Thanks in advance
Imperial students
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi! I'm Maya and I'm a student rep from Imperial! I've just graduated from the Biological Sciences course, which is in the same department as Biochemistry. In my personal experience, it was relatively easy to make friends at uni, but I also appreciate that it has been a lot more difficult in the past year due to all the COVID-related restrictions. I would also say that for most people, their social life will be quite similar regardless of which uni they choose to go to. There are certainly the same opportunities in London, and since it's such a large and busy city, there are some attractions here that you might not find elsewhere in the UK. Of course, there are some regional differences, and it is worth acknowledging that London can sometimes be a lot more expensive than other uni cities in the UK, but there also a lot of really affordable/free fun things to do in London as a student.

To answer your second question, the Disability Advisory Service (DAS) exists to support students with disabilities and conditions that can impact your ability to study. Additionally, each department has their own departmental disability officer (DDO) and you can contact them if you need specific support whilst you are studying at Imperial. For instance, I have suffered with exam anxiety in the past and am quite easily stressed out or distracted during exams. The DDO for my degree was able to organise additional exam arrangements for me so that I could sit my exams in smaller rooms and had access to rest breaks, which made exams far less daunting for me! Here is a link to the DAS website in case you wanted to find out more about the support they offer students https://www.imperial.ac.uk/disability-advisory-service/

Hope I've helped!

Maya
Last edited by Imperial students; 4 weeks ago
sunny225
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Imperial students)
Hi! I'm Maya and I'm a student rep from Imperial! I've just graduated from the Biological Sciences course, which is in the same department as Biochemistry. In my personal experience, it was relatively easy to make friends at uni, but I also appreciate that it has been a lot more difficult in the past year due to all the COVID-related restrictions. I would also say that for most people, their social life will be quite similar regardless of which uni they choose to go to. There are certainly the same opportunities in London, and since it's such a large and busy city, there are some attractions here that you might not find elsewhere in the UK. Of course, there are some regional differences, and it is worth acknowledging that London can sometimes be a lot more expensive than other uni cities in the UK, but there also a lot of really affordable/free fun things to do in London as a student.

To answer your second question, the Disability Advisory Service (DAS) exists to support students with disabilities and conditions that can impact your ability to study. Additionally, each department has their own departmental disability officer (DDO) and you can contact them if you need specific support whilst you are studying at Imperial. For instance, I have suffered with exam anxiety in the past and am quite easily stressed out or distracted during exams. The DDO for my degree was able to organise additional exam arrangements for me so that I could sit my exams in smaller rooms and had access to rest breaks, which made exams far less daunting for me! Here is a link to the DAS website in case you wanted to find out more about the support they offer students https://www.imperial.ac.uk/disability-advisory-service/

Hope I've helped!

Maya
Thank you so much for the reply that's really helpful
tptp123
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi op, I'm also thinking about applying for biochem at imperial and have the same worries! PM me
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (113)
57.36%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (22)
11.17%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (24)
12.18%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (16)
8.12%
I haven't started researching yet (11)
5.58%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (11)
5.58%

Watched Threads