The Student Room Group

UTR Number help?!?!

So I was made redundant from my previous job start of August, I was not aware that you have to sign up to job seekers and universal credit when you are made redundant, however after 2 weeks of being unemployed I signed up for both. Fortunately within a few days, I got a job offer, received a call to see if I qualify for job seekers etc, but I said I just got a new job and that was that, they just said good luck.

I'm to be classed as self employed for my first 3 months at my new job, I am going to be office administrator type role, however due to the self employed part, I needed to get a UTR number, I was aware I needed this, but as I never heard of it before, my manager asked if I had one when I brought in my paperwork etc and that's when I applied online. My manager sort of explained it to me and what it does with tax etc, I understand it abit, not alot, but I think I understand as much as I need to know. I asked what do I have to do on my end that's different to a normal wage and he said nothing, just the tax deduction may be different to what it would be usually. After the 3 months, I will receive pay as normal.

My current issue is that I am still not entirely certain with what I have to do with my wage that comes in via the UTR number. I understand that I have to do something regarding my own tax at the end of the tax year, calculate all my salary to make sure I have been taxed the correct amount. When I no longer require the UTR, which will probably be after the 3 months, whether I get the job or not, I will inform the HMRC, but what do I do after that?
Sounds to me like you will be classed as self-employed and they will be paying you without taking off any Income Tax and National Insurance, like an employer would. If this is the case then you need to register with HMRC as self-employed and they will give you a Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) which is basically a number that identifies who you are. You would then need to submit a Self Assessment Tax Return at the end of each tax year. The tax year runs from 6th April 2021 - 5th April 2022 and then you have until 31st January 2023 to submit your tax return and pay what you owe for any income received during that tax year.

You may find it useful to pay an accountant to sort it for you or do a bit of reading up on the subject as, if you get things wrong, it can be costly!
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by cbaforcba
I'm to be classed as self employed for my first 3 months at my new job, I am going to be office administrator type role,

There is no reason for a role like that to be self employed. It sounds like they are trying to dodge tax and pass the liability onto yourself. Find another job.
Reply 3
Original post by Reue
There is no reason for a role like that to be self employed. It sounds like they are trying to dodge tax and pass the liability onto yourself. Find another job.

Thanks for this.

I agree, it doesn't sound normal for somebody in my role to be self employed, but with it being a growing maintenance business, I have seen many engineers (Plumbers, Electrician and decorators etc) come for interviews in the short time I've been there and they are all asked for a UTR number as well, same situation, self employed for first 3 months. However a large majority of them already have one.

I will ask my manager/director again, but every Saturday a bookkeeper comes to the office, when nobody else is in and he requested my UTR number, however he told me how to get one, so whilst I agree it still sounds abit crazy, I believe they will deal with the tax side of things etc. I will also ask them to properly explain it to me.

I did ask the manager/director what I have to do on my end with a UTR that's different from a normal wage and he explained that they will take care of all of it.
Reply 4
Original post by dangermau5e
Sounds to me like you will be classed as self-employed and they will be paying you without taking off any Income Tax and National Insurance, like an employer would. If this is the case then you need to register with HMRC as self-employed and they will give you a Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) which is basically a number that identifies who you are. You would then need to submit a Self Assessment Tax Return at the end of each tax year. The tax year runs from 6th April 2021 - 5th April 2022 and then you have until 31st January 2023 to submit your tax return and pay what you owe for any income received during that tax year.

You may find it useful to pay an accountant to sort it for you or do a bit of reading up on the subject as, if you get things wrong, it can be costly!

Thank you!

Please see my other reply for reference, but I was asked to provide my UTR number and my director/manager said I do not have to worry about anything else from there onwards.

I am beginning to understand it more now and I will look at possibly an accountant, just to cover my own back.

It seems that the fact they have asked for my UTR number and make my regular wage payments is abit more settling than just paying me in full and then completely expecting me to sort it out.

Quick Reply

Latest