Should i drop out of PGCE due to lack of subject knowledge

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
anonymous because of trigger warnings

Should i droop out of my schools direct training because of a lack of knowledge. I'm doing a SCITT Music and i thought my university would teach music theory. My music theory is awful and i know i would fail an obsveration.

Should i just quit man. Music is harder than any curriculum.
1secondsofvamps
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 months ago
What subject was your undergraduate in?

As someone who has just completed their PGCE, subject knowledge is something you have to work on in your own time.
Surnia
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 months ago
Why did you choose Music if your theory is awful, and why didn't you properly research what your uni course offered?
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
Couple of questions, why is there a trigger warning and why did you apply for a PG course you know nothing about? Or did you simply not read the course description?
Either way, if youve paid for it go ahead otherwise pull out if you think its best. In fairness though, whilst it helps to know about the subject youre studying at PG level you dont need to be well versed in it, it just helps. there were plenty of people in my respective masters courses who came from utterly different fields who were doing the courses because it sounded fun. I cant speak to your case not knowing anything about musical theory or whatever it is but before doing anything hasty speak to the course coordinator and explain your lack of knowledge and ask how much of a hinderance itll be. Then make a decision
Anonymous #1
(Original post by 1secondsofvamps)

As someone who has just completed their PGCE, subject knowledge is something you have to work on in your own time.
It w

(Original post by Surnia)
Why did you choose Music if your theory is awful, and why didn't you properly research what your uni course offered?

I’m severely depressed. I was going to explain how it is making me *** but then I realised I wrote this thread whilst I was drunk.
Reality Check
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I’m severely depressed. I was going to explain how it is making me *** but then I realised I wrote this thread whilst I was drunk.
Posting Whilst Pissed - there should really be a TSR Badge for that. QA1 - can I raise a ticket on that
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Surnia)
I believed that on a scitt programme, I would be refreshed on theory. The head has basically told me it’s unlikely any school would employ me. I’m considering dropping out or just staying on a course and next year just leave the uk and do something else abroad.

Teaching was a dream. I had an outstanding pgce offer from a top 10 university which the course leader knew I didn’t read music and told me they would teach me. Instead my ****ing stupid heart made me choose the programme and I’m stuck in a *****y Scitt programme accredited by university of reading
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Napp)
Couple of questions, why is there a trigger warning and why did you apply for a PG course you know nothing about? Or did you simply not read the course description?
Either way, if youve paid for it go ahead otherwise pull out if you think its best. In fairness though, whilst it helps to know about the subject youre studying at PG level you dont need to be well versed in it, it just helps. there were plenty of people in my respective masters courses who came from utterly different fields who were doing the courses because it sounded fun. I cant speak to your case not knowing anything about musical theory or whatever it is but before doing anything hasty speak to the course coordinator and explain your lack of knowledge and ask how much of a hinderance itll be. Then make a decision
I didn’t have a music degree, I have an a level In music. I thought in my programme, they would refresh me how I read music, I was told a week ago that they wouldn’t. I am basically restricted to key stage 3 level if I was to apply for a music teaching post next year.

I have music theory books at home but I don’t think it’s possible I could know all of it in weeks

**** I feel like d****
Anonymous #1
Sorry lots of typos on my replies. I’m really upset.

I couldn’t teach properly this week and I just spent the lesson trying to be like jack Whitehall’s character from bad education. The SLT (deputy headteacher) observed me and looked upset. His best comment was ‘You know how to be angry when they misbehave’ like a wtf

Should I drop out or what... my dream shattered in three weeks.
1secondsofvamps
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
That's the problem with SCITT, they just throw you in the deep in.
Teacher training in tough. Give it a chance, it may well improve.

Have you thought about training in a different subject?
Last edited by 1secondsofvamps; 7 months ago
Anonymous #1

(Original post by Reality Check)
Posting Whilst Pissed - there should really be a TSR Badge for that. QA1 - can I raise a ticket on that
???? I’m sober now. God relax man
Reality Check
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
???? I’m sober now. God relax man
It's a joke. Calm down.
Anonymous #1

Hi

Are you on your ect (formerly nqt) year now?

I studied an education based degree. Music was an a level. I have always struggled to read music but I got there in the end. Now it’s worse because I have read music in 7 years!!! When u did ur pgce, did you have enough subject knowledge or did you learn through the way?
ReadingMum
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
There are loads of music teachers out there that will teach/refresh music theory up to grade 5 as every student wanting to progress with an instrument beyond grade 5 needs to pass the theory (ABRSM)
Last edited by ReadingMum; 7 months ago
Anonymous #1
That's the problem with SCITT, they just throw you in the deep in.
Teacher training in tough. Give it a chance, it may well improve.

Have you thought about training in a different subject?
My Degree is education studies, that normally means teaching primary. I don’t like that. Secondary is hell as it is. I want further education lecturing and that is probably my plan if I go through with this awful scitt programme
1secondsofvamps
Rep:
Report 7 months ago
Hi

Are you on your ect (formerly nqt) year now?

I studied an education based degree. Music was an a level. I have always struggled to read music but I got there in the end. Now it’s worse because I have read music in 7 years!!! When u did ur pgce, did you have enough subject knowledge or did you learn through the way?
I recently complete my PGCE and am currently job hunting.

I trained in primary. Whilst i was not required to have my subject knowledge above GCSE level, i did have to refresh my knowledge on quite a few core and foundation subjects. Im not sure about other ITT providers, but with UCL IOE they provided us with the topics we were expected to know, held workshops, and we frequently had audits (mini tests). Other than that, subject knowledge is very much something you have to go-over in your own time. It's something you learn as you go along.

There's no denying teaching is tough. It would be a shame if you give up now.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (154)
41.62%
Not yet, but I will soon (69)
18.65%
No (147)
39.73%

Watched Threads