Angie511
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
hi everyone,
so I'm thinking of doing my a-levels online, in a year instead of two. i want to start as soon as possible,
I was thinking either open study college or oxford college, anyone studied with them before. I was going to take psychology, biology, and chemistry and wanted to know whether the practicals are really important in the science subjects
it would be complicated to find where to do them and expensive too, do universities look at that?
also, is AQA a good exam board? thanks a lot
y.u.mad.bro?
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I’m not sure about Psych but I know for Bio and Chem you will need to do practicals and get a pass in practical section to overall pass. I’m not sure how they would work if you’re doing it in one year but maybe someone else can give some more help than myself.
EOData
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Why are you doing these A levels? If you need them for a university course then you'd be best checking with the possible universities whether they would require a pass in the practicals or not - you can get an A* even with a Not classified in the practicals but passing the practicals may be a condition of a university offer.
EOData
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by y.u.mad.bro?)
for Bio and Chem you will need to do practicals and get a pass in practical section to overall pass.
That's not true, the practical grade is unrelated to the overall A level grade.
y.u.mad.bro?
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by EOData)
That's not true, the practical grade is unrelated to the overall A level grade.
Whoops I didn’t mention my point correctly. What I wanted to say was universities will ask for a pass in the practical aspect and without that pass you will be unlikely to apply for certain courses/unis.
lol.yolo
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by EOData)
Why are you doing these A levels? If you need them for a university course then you'd be best checking with the possible universities whether they would require a pass in the practicals or not - you can get an A* even with a Not classified in the practicals but passing the practicals may be a condition of a university offer.
Ditto. I did Bio (edexcel) and the PAGs (practicals) were an important part of the course and information about them could come up in the exam (eg. one of those 'a student is planning a practical' questions or questions about equipment/methods/expected results/why a result occurs etc). I have no idea how you'd go about doing these in person but im sure there's some information or suggestions from one of the online providers you're looking at.

Some uni courses (especially sciences) require a pass in the practical element in order for that entry requirement to be fulfilled but not all of them do so look into some courses or unis you're considering to see if it will likely be required or if you can get in without.
Last edited by lol.yolo; 4 weeks ago
Stevie_Ggg
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
There are no practicals for psychology.

However, there will be some for bio and Chem.

Most of the upper unis require a pass in the practicals
Angie511
Rep:
?
yeah, I want to do the a levels to get into uni next year, I'm not sure what uni I want to go to next year or even where it's gonna be in I can't really check if they want the practicals. apparently, if its AQA accredited u can only do it in the UK so I would have to travel there

I just thought the practicals wouldn't be that important since most of my mark is from the written paper, plus paying for them would be super expensive. I might have to rethink taking both bio and chemistry. I think most online schools or colleges do try to help you find an exam center, I'm trying to do it myself but am finding it quite hard. Thanks for the responses
EOData
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Angie511)
yeah, I want to do the a levels to get into uni next year, I'm not sure what uni I want to go to next year or even where it's gonna be in I can't really check if they want the practicals. apparently, if its AQA accredited u can only do it in the UK so I would have to travel there

I just thought the practicals wouldn't be that important since most of my mark is from the written paper, plus paying for them would be super expensive. I might have to rethink taking both bio and chemistry. I think most online schools or colleges do try to help you find an exam center, I'm trying to do it myself but am finding it quite hard. Thanks for the responses
If you're not in the UK then you could take international A levels (CAIE, Edexcel IAL or Oxford AQA) - they have different arrangements for the practicals that may be more achievable for a private candidate.
Angie511
Rep:
?
ill look into it but most of the schools i looked at or distance learning courses offered mostly AQA examination boards. thanks tho, appreciate it .
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (114)
57.58%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (22)
11.11%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (24)
12.12%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (16)
8.08%
I haven't started researching yet (11)
5.56%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (11)
5.56%

Watched Threads