gracieex
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
Hi im really stuck
I’m predicted A*A*B
(A*s in economics and geography, the B is in maths) My maths grade will absolutely not move :/
This means that i cant apply to any straight a courses, even though i exceed it in 2 of my subjects.

I also do an EPQ which i’m hoping is an A, and i’m eligible for contextual offers.

I’m confused on how contexual offers work, if the standard requirements is AAA for example, but contexually it lowers to ABB, can I apply? Because i don’t fit the initial criteria ?

Any help is greatly appreciated
- a stressed out year 13
ageshallnot
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by gracieex)
Hi im really stuck
I’m predicted A*A*B
(A*s in economics and geography, the B is in maths) My maths grade will absolutely not move :/
This means that i cant apply to any straight a courses, even though i exceed it in 2 of my subjects.

I also do an EPQ which i’m hoping is an A, and i’m eligible for contextual offers.

I’m confused on how contexual offers work, if the standard requirements is AAA for example, but contexually it lowers to ABB, can I apply? Because i don’t fit the initial criteria ?

- a stressed out year 13
What subject are you applying for?
University of Strathclyde
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi im really stuck
I’m predicted A*A*B

- a stressed out year 13
Hey gracieex Just because your predicted grades don't match the entry requirements doesn't mean you can't apply to those universities, and doesn't mean you won't receive an offer. Admissions policies will vary, but unless you've been told specifically not to apply from the uni then there's still a chance they'll consider you! We take lots of things in to consideration- including personal statements, references and contextual factors too - decisions aren't normally made solely on your predicted grades.

Ask the admissions teams in your chosen university if they'll consider your application - and don't frame your predicted grades as a potentially negative thing when you do! A*A*B is an excellent set of predicted grades and shows you're on track for good things There is nothing wrong with having aspirational options. If you're concerned about it then make sure you've applied to some courses with lower entry requirements as a backup too.

That being said, if you're eligible for contextual offers which are ABB and you're on track for A*A*B, you exceed the criteria they're looking for, so go for it!

Hope that helps!
- Caitlin
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
standardolo
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
what course
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Very top universities are unlikely to move on the grades required. The reason they ask for A*AA or higher is because they tend to be in such demand. Universities asking for lower grades do sometimes accept a lower grade but following the grade inflation this year universities will be far more wary over next year and wont be able to say anything in advance.

As far as contextual offers are concerned if you meet the contextual condition that is the offer made. You do not need to meet the higher offer.

What you will need to be careful of is a specific subject requirement. It very often in Maths for things like Computer Science, Engineering and Economics. If there is a specific Maths requirement of grade A you are likely to be required to meet it in a contextual offer as well
gracieex
Rep:
?
(Original post by University of Strathclyde)
Hey gracieex Just because your predicted grades don't match the entry requirements doesn't mean you can't apply to those universities, and doesn't mean you won't receive an offer. Admissions policies will vary, but unless you've been told specifically not to apply from the uni then there's still a chance they'll consider you! We take lots of things in to consideration- including personal statements, references and contextual factors too - decisions aren't normally made solely on your predicted grades.

Ask the admissions teams in your chosen university if they'll consider your application - and don't frame your predicted grades as a potentially negative thing when you do! A*A*B is an excellent set of predicted grades and shows you're on track for good things There is nothing wrong with having aspirational options. If you're concerned about it then make sure you've applied to some courses with lower entry requirements as a backup too.

That being said, if you're eligible for contextual offers which are ABB and you're on track for A*A*B, you exceed the criteria they're looking for, so go for it!

Hope that helps!
- Caitlin
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Thank you !!
Culver
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Mostly depends on what uni you’re applying for!! Where are you hoping to go?
gracieex
Rep:
?
(Original post by Culver)
Mostly depends on what uni you’re applying for!! Where are you hoping to go?
Initially I wanted to do Economics+Geography, but after realising how much maths would probably be within that (and i wouldnt enjoy) I’ve leant more towards pure geog.

But i’m also open to other related courses such as Int Relations etc x
gracieex
Rep:
?
(Original post by swanseajack1)
Very top universities are unlikely to move on the grades required. The reason they ask for A*AA or higher is because they tend to be in such demand. Universities asking for lower grades do sometimes accept a lower grade but following the grade inflation this year universities will be far more wary over next year and wont be able to say anything in advance.

As far as contextual offers are concerned if you meet the contextual condition that is the offer made. You do not need to meet the higher offer.

What you will need to be careful of is a specific subject requirement. It very often in Maths for things like Computer Science, Engineering and Economics. If there is a specific Maths requirement of grade A you are likely to be required to meet it in a contextual offer as well
I know its just very hard to come to terms with! Also thank you for letting me know that I only need to meet the lower offer… that was the main part I was worried about !!
Culver
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Initially I wanted to do Economics+Geography, but after realising how much maths would probably be within that (and i wouldnt enjoy) I’ve leant more towards pure geog.

But i’m also open to other related courses such as Int Relations etc x
That sounds good!! But go with whatever course you like the sound of best so you get the best uni experience and job prospects possible. What unis do you want to apply for that you feel like you can’t get in for? Some unis will be lenient on grades and others won’t be so much.
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I know its just very hard to come to terms with! Also thank you for letting me know that I only need to meet the lower offer… that was the main part I was worried about !!
Geography courses are generally not that competitive and do not need such a high grade. Similarly International Relations. It is usually Economics especially at top universities.
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by swanseajack1)
Geography courses are generally not that competitive and do not need such a high grade. Similarly International Relations. It is usually Economics especially at top universities.
It might be worth applying to 1 or 2 universities with very high grades but ensuring at least 2 possibly 3 are at or below your predicted grades to ensure you have options should you get rejected
McGinger
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I’m predicted A*A*B
1) If you are eliigible for a Contextual offer from a Uni (be aware they all have slightly different crieria) then you only have to meet the lower grade requirements to be considered. See https://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/unde...extual-offers/ as just one example.

2) Its worth having one or maybe two choices that are one grade above your predicted grades. Many Unis will still consider you for an offer - ad having that offer is a gteat incentive to work to 'get those grades'.

3) Many Unis (not all) will give a lower A level offer (usually one grade) with an additional EPQ grade. Check with each Uni.
McGinger
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Economics+Geography
Look at International Development - it combines both these subects plus other social sciences, and usually includes a year abroad, great for a geographer, and doesnt have the same Maths focus as Economics.
Examples :
UEA - lots of different subjects combinations : https://www.uea.ac.uk/course/undergr...al-development
Sussex - as above - http://www.sussex.ac.uk/development/ugstudy/prospectus
KCL - https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/undergra...development-ba
Birmingham - https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/undergr...-politics.aspx
strawberrygemini
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
this sounds so frustrating have you tried talking to some of the unis who offer AAA?
gracieex
Rep:
?
(Original post by strawberrygemini)
this sounds so frustrating have you tried talking to some of the unis who offer AAA?
Not yet but my friends have suggested it so i think its something i’ll be doing once i figure out where i prefer ! x
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Thing is, if you had AAA predicted and ended up with A*A*B, they'd most likely let you in anyway.

I think you should go for the AAA unis, and if you don't get the offers (I would be surprised if you didn't) then apply with achieved grades.
gracieex
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sinnoh)
Thing is, if you had AAA predicted and ended up with A*A*B, they'd most likely let you in anyway.

I think you should go for the AAA unis, and if you don't get the offers (I would be surprised if you didn't) then apply with achieved grades.
Thank you! .. as earlier mentioned I think I may ring up a few of the places that I want to go to that have AAA requirements and see what they say
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (17)
56.67%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (3)
10%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (4)
13.33%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (1)
3.33%
I haven't started researching yet (2)
6.67%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
10%

Watched Threads