Sixth form not letting me return

Watch
Xiphos
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have extenuating circumstances for retaking year 13 which the college recognized. However, they say that because they are a 16 - 19 education provider I am too old despite the fact that I am 19 and will be until July 2022 which is when Exams are finished and year 13's leave. I am told that I would have had to have been 18 or younger on the 31 of August 2021 so I can't come back. Is there anything that I can do?
EOData
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
It's down to funding. Funding is normally only available for students up to the school year in which they become 19. You no longer qualify for free funding so they would not get any money for you attending.
Xiphos
Rep:
?
(Original post by EOData)
It's down to funding. Funding is normally only available for students up to the school year in which they become 19. You no longer qualify for free funding so they would not get any money for you attending.
So there is nothing I can do?
EOData
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Xiphos)
So there is nothing I can do?
Try throwing yourself on their mercy based on your extenuating circumstances (worth a try but not likely to succeed)
Resit next Summer as a private candidate (you would have to pay)
Xiphos
Rep:
?
(Original post by EOData)
Try throwing yourself on their mercy based on your extenuating circumstances (worth a try but not likely to succeed)
Resit next Summer as a private candidate (you would have to pay)
I'm not sure what the first sentence means. I am hoping to resit in summer but I can't see myself doing well without teachers because of my subjects and I cannot afford tuition so I am screwed really.
McGinger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
they say that because they are a 16 - 19 education provider I am too old despite the fact that I am 19
Its simply because you already have Level 3 and you are 19 - this means they wont get any government funding for you.
Ask if you can just use them as an Exam Centre, and self-study.
Xiphos
Rep:
?
(Original post by McGinger)
Its simply because you already have Level 3 and you are 19 - this means they wont get any government funding for you.
Ask if you can just use them as an Exam Centre, and self-study.
I am using them as an exam centre but I am doing History, English and economics and the first two I probably won't get an A* in without teaching and only 6 1/2 months of revision. I am not really sure what to do.
McGinger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I am using them as an exam centre but I am doing History, English and economics and the first two I probably won't get an A* in without teaching and only 6 1/2 months of revision. I am not really sure what to do.
The school wont get funding for you to do one A level as it isnt a full study load, and you are 19 and already have Level 3.
Whichever way you look at it, your school is totally justified in not wanting to teach you for free.

Look at local colleges or distance learning - both cost £ but thats the only alternative you have now.
Xiphos
Rep:
?
(Original post by McGinger)
The school wont get funding for you to do one A level as it isnt a full study load, and you are 19 and already have Level 3.
Whichever way you look at it, your school is totally justified in not wanting to teach you for free.

Look at local colleges or distance learning - both cost £ but thats the only alternative you have now.
I know that they are justified but it's just annoying that had I been 2 months younger I could have gone back. Also, it was my only hope of sitting in summer.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (317)
57.22%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (77)
13.9%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (62)
11.19%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (49)
8.84%
I haven't started researching yet (28)
5.05%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (21)
3.79%

Watched Threads