can you ask teachers to raise your predicted grades

Watch
sunny225
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So i am doing a level art and while i’m not applying for early entry, they’re giving us all our predicted grades now because so many people are. I haven’t done as much work as I would have liked for art and there’s some things I’d like to edit/improve. Do you think if I were to prove myself by doing more/improving my work I could ask them to raise my grade since our schools internal deadline for normal ucas applications is not till 20th october??
Will_Armo
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Teachers want you to get to your first choice uni. If you were, say, predicted a grade B - and your first choice Uni wants an A for the course, then the likelihood is that the school will say you're on track for an A, the school don't want to mug you off and ruin your chances because whatever grade you get is essentially in your hands. On the flip side, if you were predicted a D, the school won't send you to a top university to do a course which you're not very good at, because that's not fair on your or other people who might miss out on places.

You'll get whatever you need, just focus on that. Regardless, you might still get a place/offer at uni, even if the requirement isn't met but your portfolio is good.

Good Luck
McGinger
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Its worth asking a teacher - "If I really put some effort in and show I can produce the work by half-term, would you consider revising the predicted grade?".
The UCAS closing date is in January - even if your school sets an artificial deadline in October, you can still apply later, because there are always late applications in any chool.
sunny225
Rep:
?
(Original post by Will_Armo)
Teachers want you to get to your first choice uni. If you were, say, predicted a grade B - and your first choice Uni wants an A for the course, then the likelihood is that the school will say you're on track for an A, the school don't want to mug you off and ruin your chances because whatever grade you get is essentially in your hands. On the flip side, if you were predicted a D, the school won't send you to a top university to do a course which you're not very good at, because that's not fair on your or other people who might miss out on places.

You'll get whatever you need, just focus on that. Regardless, you might still get a place/offer at uni, even if the requirement isn't met but your portfolio is good.

Good Luck
Ok thanks for the reply!
sunny225
Rep:
?
(Original post by McGinger)
Its worth asking a teacher - "If I really put some effort in and show I can produce the work by half-term, would you consider revising the predicted grade?".
The UCAS closing date is in January - even if your school sets an artificial deadline in October, you can still apply later, because there are always late applications in any chool.
Yes I'm definitely going to consider doing that
kissland
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by sunny225)
So i am doing a level art and while i’m not applying for early entry, they’re giving us all our predicted grades now because so many people are. I haven’t done as much work as I would have liked for art and there’s some things I’d like to edit/improve. Do you think if I were to prove myself by doing more/improving my work I could ask them to raise my grade since our schools internal deadline for normal ucas applications is not till 20th october??
yes, they can!
My friend last year in english decided to push herself to apply for a uni she didnt think she would get into. So for English, she asked how she could change her predicted grade from a B to an A. She spoke to the different teachers we had in the subject, mentioning that she wanted to and asked how she could.
They set her extra essays for her to complete, with feedback given. After she did quite a few, they discussed the prediction and raised it. She achieved an A in final exam !

So if you tell your teacher/head of department about how you want to raise that prediction, ask for extra work by them (or feedback).
Then show that you are willing to do that extra work, or take that feedback on 100%.
The practice from it will definitely shape your work from experience, and you will improve on it.
As well as your teacher having more evidence for why they feel you can achieve higher. (also maybe ask for weekly 5minute check-ins with that teacher to make sure you are on track for upping your target).
InArduisFouette
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
you can ask but you better have some pretty objective reasons why and evidence of the improvement
sunny225
Rep:
?
(Original post by kissland)
yes, they can!
My friend last year in english decided to push herself to apply for a uni she didnt think she would get into. So for English, she asked how she could change her predicted grade from a B to an A. She spoke to the different teachers we had in the subject, mentioning that she wanted to and asked how she could.
They set her extra essays for her to complete, with feedback given. After she did quite a few, they discussed the prediction and raised it. She achieved an A in final exam !

So if you tell your teacher/head of department about how you want to raise that prediction, ask for extra work by them (or feedback).
Then show that you are willing to do that extra work, or take that feedback on 100%.
The practice from it will definitely shape your work from experience, and you will improve on it.
As well as your teacher having more evidence for why they feel you can achieve higher. (also maybe ask for weekly 5minute check-ins with that teacher to make sure you are on track for upping your target).
Ok that's really helpful to know thanks! My art teacher is quite nice and easy to talk to so I think I should be able to arrange that if necessary
Culver
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Yeah for sure, if you work hard to prove that you can do better then I’m sure you can ask! I did it and they raised my predicted which helped me get into my dream uni
sunny225
Rep:
?
(Original post by Culver)
Yeah for sure, if you work hard to prove that you can do better then I’m sure you can ask! I did it and they raised my predicted which helped me get into my dream uni
that's great thanks for the reply
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has your education been disrupted this academic year due to the pandemic?

Yes (124)
87.32%
No (18)
12.68%

Watched Threads