im a loner at sixth form and im so sad :(

Watch
ibegyoushutup
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
ive not made any friends at sixth form, im a loner. i walk alone, sit alone, do my work alone and walk home alone. its making me really sad. im actually a very social person. they say life peaks after high school and especially if youve had a bad time at high school, well where is my peak? i feel like im stuck and its just the same as high school. is there something wrong with me? i see everyone from my old high school has already made new friendships and im just there being a loner :’( and as aesthetic as it looks, im sad. im suprised i havent broken down yet but i just ugh i hate school.
Rebecca 268
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey, have you just joined the Sixthform or in your second year? I would chat to a trusted teacher or tutor for some advice! I would say there’s always opportunities to make new friends, you might just have to put yourself out there more in the common room and in lessons and chat to to new people
Hope that helps

- student blog @realliferebs.blog
https://realliferebs.wordpress.com/2...or-university/
ibegyoushutup
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Rebecca 268)
Hey, have you just joined the Sixthform or in your second year? I would chat to a trusted teacher or tutor for some advice! I would say there’s always opportunities to make new friends, you might just have to put yourself out there more in the common room and in lessons and chat to to new people
Hope that helps

- student blog @realliferebs.blog
https://realliferebs.wordpress.com/2...or-university/
first year and yeah thanks but talking to a teacher is not going to solve my problems
Rebecca 268
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ibegyoushutup)
first year and yeah thanks but talking to a teacher is not going to solve my problems
If you've just joined the sixthform, i would give it a bit more time to make friends, you might find some people are in lots of the same classes as you! Teachers are there to make sure you can learn well but also for your well-being so i'm sure they would be happy to support you.
c_u_r_r_y
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
hi! i'm a year 13 and i stayed in my school for sixth form so obvs i haven't been in your shoes, but i would defo say try to talk to the ppl in your classes first, the majority of people who were 'external' who i met were from my classes - it's a bit awkward at the start of the year when everyone is feeling it out etc, but if you give it some time you'll start making friends! something as little as small talk w the people next to you is always great for building friendships
another thing could be soceties and stuff, really try and get involved where you can
but pls trust me, you're gonna find your people in sixth form, EVERYONE does, just takes a bit of effort sometimes, like ik ppl who were wondering around for weeks and didnt rlly have many people to talk to at the start of sixth form and now they've got plenty of friends
one more thing is don't put too much pressure on yourself, you know how sociable you are, people will come to you!
good luck!!!!!
Last edited by c_u_r_r_y; 4 weeks ago
Anonymous #1
Report 4 weeks ago
ive not made any friends at sixth form, im a loner. i walk alone, sit alone, do my work alone and walk home alone. its making me really sad. im actually a very social person. they say life peaks after high school and especially if youve had a bad time at high school, well where is my peak? i feel like im stuck and its just the same as high school. is there something wrong with me? i see everyone from my old high school has already made new friendships and im just there being a loner :’( and as aesthetic as it looks, im sad. im suprised i havent broken down yet but i just ugh i hate school.
I'm going through the exact same thing as you.
I had friends in lower school but after a toxic friend spread rumours about me that weren't true, I didn't have a social group anymore as by the time I was excluded from my 'friend' group (Y9) everyone had already made friends.
So I've been a loner since then. I thought it would get better and that I would get used to it but I haven't, I'm more sad. I'm at the sixth form of the same school I went to for secondary and I just feel more isolated than ever. There are a couple of nice people I talk to but they have their own close-knit friend groups so it's not like anything has changed. Noone understands :/
Oacio
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi! Just wanted to say I was in your exact same position during sixth form. I had one friend from school, although we were barely together as we had two different schools we went between for sixth form lessons, and we were almost never at the same one. That meant I usually sat alone at lunch and in free periods. In year 12 (before lockdown) I made a friend on a sixth form trip and got to sit with his friends at lunch, which was huge relief. I'm sure you'll make some eventually, and you're also in a better position too! At my sixth form 99% of people were from school and already had friend groups right from day one. There's definitely some people at your sixth form who haven't made any friends yet, just like you, as it sounds like most people are from different schools.

Even if you don't make many friends, just remember that you're at sixth form to learn, and ultimatly go to university or have the qualifications to get a good job. That's what kept me going. People with huge friend groups tend to not do as well as the quiet people. And once you've finished sixth form you'll be thankful you stuck through it. It's only two years, and they fly by REALLY quick, trust me
Last edited by Oacio; 4 weeks ago
AnnaBee0105
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I’m in the exact same situation, like I have a couple people to talk to in lessons but they just automatically gravitate to their old friends in free periods and lunch. Even the few that I randomly made don’t seem interested in getting to know me and it’s so mentally exhausting to ask people questions all the time when they don’t participate back. Honestly, it’s just been really lonely for me too, I’ve gone from being a happy and really outgoing person who didn’t care what people thought to this socially awkward mentally drained teenager. It probably doesn’t help that my school didn’t have a sixth form and all my close ish friends went to different colleges. I get how you feel and honestly the thing that gets me through it is just thinking that it’s only 2 years and really it’s just something you’re going to have to bear through. On the plus side, it means more time to study and get the best grades you can, that’s what I’m focussing on anyways, it’s only 2 years of your life, there’s gonna be loads of people you meet wherever you go after sixth form
Anonymous #1
Report 4 weeks ago
I didn't think anyone else was going through the same thing, kind of gives me a sense of solidarity
ibegyoushutup
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by AnnaBee0105)
I’m in the exact same situation, like I have a couple people to talk to in lessons but they just automatically gravitate to their old friends in free periods and lunch. Even the few that I randomly made don’t seem interested in getting to know me and it’s so mentally exhausting to ask people questions all the time when they don’t participate back. Honestly, it’s just been really lonely for me too, I’ve gone from being a happy and really outgoing person who didn’t care what people thought to this socially awkward mentally drained teenager. It probably doesn’t help that my school didn’t have a sixth form and all my close ish friends went to different colleges. I get how you feel and honestly the thing that gets me through it is just thinking that it’s only 2 years and really it’s just something you’re going to have to bear through. On the plus side, it means more time to study and get the best grades you can, that’s what I’m focussing on anyways, it’s only 2 years of your life, there’s gonna be loads of people you meet wherever you go after sixth form
i completely know what you mean!! its been a week later and im feeling a lot better thankfully, im using all my frees to study quietly and i speak to people now and then in classes, ive stopped pressuring myself to make friends and it helped a lot! im just gonna focus on myself and remind myself its only 2 years !! afterall the ‘popular’ ones tend to get a lot lower grades than the quiet ones so im using that as my motivation!! even though its still weird for me to consider myself a ‘quiet’ person no that im in sixthform hahha, i hope everything works out for you and it makes me so happy to know people are going through the same!!
maryleeanne21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
dont be sad enjoy life make friends outside of school! dont break down i have done that before not fun.
um3um
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It is okay. Just live your life and be happy. Having friends is normal and having no friends is also normal. Everyone is equal.
m4zza
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
girl, it's easy. at first i only had 1 friend at sixth form who i was mates with on the first day and i found it difficult to make friends initially. a few weeks later i actively made the effort to talk to everyone in my class or people i would sit next to about work, general chit-chat, opinions about teachers/things at school, and just anything that sprang to mind. after, you start walking with them to your next class and hang out at break/after-school. dw, it's still early days but from now on make an effort to talk to your classmates. join some clubs too (it's not weird, trust me)
Sonia Goodman
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Are people deliberately avoiding you? If so report it to a teacher-it’s bullying. Defo try and find people with similar interests and talk to your form teacher about it. But please remember that ur grades are ur priority-these two years are a foundation for uni and ur future. Try and talk to a counsellor from connections. Defo seek help xxx
Lonely asteroid
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I know how you feel, I am in a similar situation except I have been through college and now started getting a job. Unfortunately I don't have an answer that will fix your problem though I wish I did. I tried talking and making friends with people but they had no interest in me at all and eventually I gave up trying, I hope you're situation gets better, we could all do with a friend and someone to love.
Last edited by Lonely asteroid; 1 week ago
domvics
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi… just to say, accept that you have to kiss a lot of frogs to find a prince… so you’re going to have to start a lot of chit chat awkward conversations before you find some people who you click with and can be mates. Join the clubs/societies that are your subjects and maybe something totally outside your comfort zone… drama/photography/debating then you e got your first conversation opener “I’m trying this to try something new, have you done debating/photography etc before?”. Ask questions that require a direct answer. I met my best mate as we left a lecture by saying “I didn’t really understand ANY of that, did you?” She didn’t either so we had a laugh, but if she has said she’s understood I was going to ask her to help me with it… good luck!
June6796
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey, I understand your feelings. I moved schools for year 12 and it was nerve-wracking for the first couple of weeks. It got really easy for me when I made friends with other externals since they were in the same position. Also, in class a person asked to sit next to me because it was the only place left. So we kinda became friends from there and I'm part of their "group" now, so everything's pretty great!

Definitely gotta put yourself there, the gesture doesn't have to be grand tho. Maybe asking if you could sit near someone in a crowded room, complimenting an outfit or making small talk to someone in class. Don't limit yourself to your year group either. My main friends were a new friend's (she was also external) friends in year 13. She introduced me to them, and they became my go-to during frees. They're at uni now, which is sad but I'm glad they were around last year because it did make transitioning to the school much easier.

I'm sorry things are feeling *****y rn but you'll make friends eventually, whether that be in the next couple of days/weeks or even at uni if you plan to go. Just gotta focus on getting through school because A levels aren't fun 😭 But yeah, sorry for the long read and hope you find this useful especially since it's coming from a social recluse.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
(ik im 3 weeks late but) IK exactly how u feel. Ive posted it about it as well but I literally feel like such a loner. I started sixthform a bit later than everyone and everybody just seem to be so easy with each other but for some reason I cant be the same.
and im legit always alone and ive never seen anyone else alone like that. i could really use some advice?
Hope things have gotten better for u x
ibegyoushutup
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
(ik im 3 weeks late but) IK exactly how u feel. Ive posted it about it as well but I literally feel like such a loner. I started sixthform a bit later than everyone and everybody just seem to be so easy with each other but for some reason I cant be the same.
and im legit always alone and ive never seen anyone else alone like that. i could really use some advice?
Hope things have gotten better for u x
im doing a lot better now thankfully (: and thank you! i think weirdly enough the main thing that helped was being a little more relaxed and not pressuring myself to make friends. i spend my frees consumed in work and here and there i might find a kind classmate. i no longer care about being a loner im enjoying me own company tbh, and i see many do the same too so i doubt you should worry that you seem like the only one alone bc i assure you thats not the case! also helps to know that even those with friends all have different schedules so cant rely on their friends to be there 24/7! again as cliche as the advice is, speak to people in your class, speak to someone who looks alone in their free, dont pressure yourself to make friends and be a comfortable relaxed loner not an anxious one and honestly people will come to you. look at me giving advice when i was the one having a mental breakdown last month lol. i pray everything goes well for you too dont focus too much on the social aspect, keep focused and studying!! xxx wish you allll the best!!
Anonymous #2
Report 4 days ago
im doing a lot better now thankfully (: and thank you! i think weirdly enough the main thing that helped was being a little more relaxed and not pressuring myself to make friends. i spend my frees consumed in work and here and there i might find a kind classmate. i no longer care about being a loner im enjoying me own company tbh, and i see many do the same too so i doubt you should worry that you seem like the only one alone bc i assure you thats not the case! also helps to know that even those with friends all have different schedules so cant rely on their friends to be there 24/7! again as cliche as the advice is, speak to people in your class, speak to someone who looks alone in their free, dont pressure yourself to make friends and be a comfortable relaxed loner not an anxious one and honestly people will come to you. look at me giving advice when i was the one having a mental breakdown last month lol. i pray everything goes well for you too dont focus too much on the social aspect, keep focused and studying!! xxx wish you allll the best!!
your advice helped me so much thank you!!
im not joking anytime i felt down or lonely i remembered what u said and thought to myself be a 'happy loner'! this massively improved my mood and i acc have started to interact and have started to make friends. ur defo right it helped to not pressurize myself and i just got more confident naturally. its ironic as my mum also always told me that after 2-3 weeks u'll be super chill about and i am and im really happy for you to have gotten past your mental breakdown and succeeded as well. thanks again and i hope all the best for you too!! im sure you'll do amazing in sixth-form
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling now you've started university?

I'm loving it! (51)
14.05%
I'm enjoying it but I'm still settling in (94)
25.9%
I'm a bit unsure (63)
17.36%
I'm finding things difficult (124)
34.16%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (31)
8.54%

Watched Threads